How to ask out a girl who lives in a different State

Dmal

I'll try to keep this short as I can.

I live in Perth in Western Australia. I study Medicine 2nd year. There is a girl I like in the year before me, who lives in Sydney. I do not get to talk to her regularly; only getting the chance to say hi at Medicine parties that we both attend (there are a lot of Medicine parties). The uni term is ending this Friday, with one party on that day.

From my interactions with her, I do not know if she like me, but I'm confident that she doesn't not like me i.e. she enjoys my company. I am interested in asking her out. I just want to check some things before I do so. (First off, I need to talk to her more to see if I can pick up some clues to check her feelings towards me). Otherwise, I need to check when she is returning home. She will probably return home on the weekend after the party.

If I decide that she also likes me, how would I ask her out / plan a date? I would like to plan on for Saturday or Sunday afternoon, though I'm not sure if she'd be available (that's why I need to check when she's returning home). If we can't, what should I do? Should I go to Sydney (I think this come off as being desperate) for a date, should I wait till she comes back to Perth, or should I just ask for her phone number / Skype and chat to her via that? Is there anything else I should do or take into account.

Forgive me if I've posted this in the wrong place; it's dating related, so I thought it should go here