Music and relationships. Is this a 'guy thing' or a 'me thing'?

So just made a post in another thread that got me thinking about this. It seems that whenever I hear a song about romance/relationships/breaking up/etc that I like I immediately start interpreting the lyrics in relation to my own life. And with songs that stick with me I often find situations in my love life that draw a parallel to those songs. For example I will be with my gf and she will say/do something or I will see her in a certain way and that song will pop into my head and exacerbate my feelings.

On the other hand, it seems that none of my gf's or female friends ever do that. They listen to all this schmaltzy stuff and pine over singers about how romantic and sweet they are, but if they EVER compare those songs to their life it's to complain how they wish the could have a man like that and their bfs never understand romance. If I ever point out obvious parallels that I see they just go silent or get grouchy and say that's different or if their bf relates something like that it just comes across as pathetic or clingy.

Is this because us 'mortal' guys really don't understand romance? Or do girls just have a tendancy to fall in love with the 'package' (ie if you take away the handsome pop singer with the $300 haircut and six pack, the song and its meaning isn't as important)?

So which camp do you guys/girls fall into?