Are short guys really that unattractive?

thatdog

I'm concerned about a friend of mine. He's thin, fairly good looking (at least that's what my female friends say), confident, funny, very outgoing. But he is about 5'1. He has been single for about 8-9 years now. The first few were probably due to his terrible bitterness over a LTR breakup (she screwed him over worse than ANYTHING I've seen on these forums), but he seems to have a much healthier attitude now. Doesn't seem to be helping him at all though. Most of my single friends have said he's a nice guy 'but too short' for them. Is this really such a massive deal? Are all girls 100% unattracted to short guys? Cos seriously he gets NO attention at all from what I've seen. Or is there some other underlying personality trait that might be turning girls away?

Most girls (myself included) don't like to date guys who are shorter than them. I'm 5ft6 and would date a guy who was roughly my height or taller, so it's not like I don't date short men... but 5ft1 is absolutely tiny. The guy in question might have some success if he targets shorter women, but 5ft1 is even tiny for a woman, never mind a man! I don't think there are many equivalently sized women...

makelemonade1974

He needs to find a really short girl. And he also needs to be careful not to get that napolean complex thing. I know some pretty a s s hole short guys who are bitter about being short.

I know a real sweetheart short guy who just got married to a girl who is exactly his height. He's a darling. I also know another napolean complex misogynist short guy who claims he gets laid a lot because he dates asian girls (who tend to be little). He spent some time in China as a teacher, so that may explain it.

He just needs to go for small girls. 5'1? Seriously? That's pretty short. Poor thing.

I'm concerned about a friend of mine. He's thin, fairly good looking (at least that's what my female friends say), confident, funny, very outgoing. But he is about 5'1. He has been single for about 8-9 years now. The first few were probably due to his terrible bitterness over a LTR breakup (she screwed him over worse than ANYTHING I've seen on these forums), but he seems to have a much healthier attitude now. Doesn't seem to be helping him at all though. Most of my single friends have said he's a nice guy 'but too short' for them. Is this really such a massive deal? Are all girls 100% unattracted to short guys? Cos seriously he gets NO attention at all from what I've seen. Or is there some other underlying personality trait that might be turning girls away?

I've never really understood the obsession with really tall men and actually feel uncomfortable with someone towering over me. I only like guys who are slightly taller than me (I'm 5'3), but 5'1 is really short and most women of average height will unfortunately be turned off by the fact that he's vertically challenged.

Nope. I'm not attracted to short men at all and I'm sick of them pursuing me. I'm more interested in a guy whose at least 5'10 and up

Height has nothing to do with attraction where any gal with standards not linked solely to shallowness is concerned. My guy is only an inch taller than I am, and I am SO not a tal gal. However, he is tall where it matters; in integrity, intelligence, kindness, sense of humor, sexiness, and a mind always focused on the greater good. :love:

makelemonade1974
Short girls don't usually want short men even when the guy is taller than her. Shortness is the kiss of death for a male's dating life. That's why you try to correct it through medication as they develop if there is the slightest possibility of being unnaturally short.

This doesn't apply so much to dwarves since they have support groups, mixers, etc.

Sometimes being very rich or famous will change a girl's perception.

I got a serious belly laugh out of this one. I'm still giggling.

The tall guy thing - IMO 5'7 is still pretty short, so if Napoleon was 5'7 that doesn't make him tall. I'm 5'7, but I'm a girl. I prefer guys who are at least my height, but the taller they are, the hotter they appear to me. I agree it might be an evolutionary thing. Tall, big guys are better hunters / providers / protector blah blah blah.

6 foot or more is nice in my opinion. My current guy is 6 foot, heartbreak ex BF was 5'9, ex husband 5'10. They don't have to be super tall, but 5'1 is short, even for a girl. I know a girl that height who gets pissed as all hell if you call her "cute" or "little."

As mentioned before though, 5'7" was pretty average at the time... it's the equivalent of Napoleon being about 5'9" or 5'10" (depending on where you live) if he were around these days.

5'1" on the other hand, is tiny. I've hardly known any girls that short, let alone guys. I think he'd have a REALLY hard time finding someone.

Darren Taylor

5'1" is insanely short. That's the equivalent of a 4'7" woman. Even Snooki is taller than that. His best bet is to go for short girls.

I'm a 5'8" woman and my ex was about 6'2", 6'3". And he was simply too tall for my liking - I still felt like I had to strain just to kiss the guy. It was cool at first to have a taller boyfriend, but frankly I'm a grown-up. Sure, height plays a role, but it's not a dead turn-off. My present boyfriend is 5'6". The height difference is sometimes notably obvious. Boyfriend's sister is also a few inches taller than her husband.

I remember slouching when I first met him because I didn't want him to be turned off by my height. A few months after we were dating, I had my shoes off and he had put his shoes on. He looked shocked to see I was so much taller, than smiled and said, "Oh, you're wearing your sho - oh, you're not. I didn't know you were THAT much taller than I am!"

I think it bothered him a tiny bit, and then he moved on. He's stated that his preference is to have a girl who is slightly shorter than he is, but that didn't happen with us and I'm fine with it. I'm heavier than he is, too. My preference probably would have been slightly taller than me (5'9" to 5'11"). And I'm happy and perfectly fine with it.

I'd never turn away a guy who was even shorter just because I was 'worried' about appearances. Admittedly, 5'1" is very short, but I'd imagine he could still have some decent success with girls who are a few inches taller. It's sad to think so many girls would turn away a man who is supposedly so great just because he's "too short." If that were my biggest complaint about a prospective boyfriend, I'd thank my lucky stars!

Enchanted Girl

We are not 100% unattracted to short guys, but that's ridiculous!

It's like how I wouldn't mind dating a guy with a small penis. I'm not that shallow, 4 inches wouldn't bother me, but when I dated one guy and he took off his pants and his penis was only 2 inches long, I just couldn't do it. His penis looked like it belonged to a newborn babies or something.

Because there's small penises and there's FREAKISHLY small penises.

There's short guys and there's FREAKISHLY short guys.

I don't know if I could date a guy who was 5'1", yet I did date a guy who was 5'5" for five years. I can date short guys but thats really short. It's just too extreme when they are short even for a girl. Wow.

Its kind of like asking someone if they could date a fat girl and then when they said yes, showing them someone who is 500 pounds. There's fat girls and then there's girls where you go,"You're still alive?! O_O"

That being said, I wouldn't automatically reject him, it would just be something that made me feel weird in the relationship, to be a few inches taller than my boyfriend and to have to lean down to kiss him.

But if he's an ******* who is bitter and mean and angry at all women, then yes, I would automatically reject him. I don't care what happened in his past if he's going to punish me for it. And this goes for a really tall guy, too.

My ex had a friend who was that short and what made him repulsive was the fact that he'd put down other girls all the time. I just hated it. If he didn't do and act like an ******* so much then I think he could have eventually gotten someone. But as it was, me and him constantly fought because he couldn't stop acting like an elitist ******* with me.

But he'd blame his bad luck with women on his height delusionally.

I like to watch couples on the subway and I notice that height, weight, looks vary wildly. I see plenty of shorter men with girlfriends. And sometimes I ride the subway with my guy who is 5' 6" and maybe people are thinking that about us.

There is something unconventional about everybody. Not everybody is perfectly average. The point of average is that some people will fall outside the norm. In fact, I think all of us are outside the norm in some way.

The thing about love is it feels special and not average. I don't think many people report their love story as something ordinary. So I think everybody has hope because love allows us to stretch our preconceptions and take a chance on someone.

Women online's definition of "tall" is absurd usually. I'm 5'10'' and I'm under most's requirements, which is just funny.

Darren Taylor
Women online's definition of "tall" is absurd usually. I'm 5'10'' and I'm under most's requirements, which is just funny.

Which is laughable considering many of these women are under 5'4". I'm 6'2" and when I talk to someone that's 6'6"-6'7", my neck almost hurts. For a woman that's 5'4", I can't see why she'd want to be with someone that's more than 5'10".

Which is laughable considering many of these women are under 5'4". I'm 6'2" and when I talk to someone that's 6'6"-6'7", my neck almost hurts. For a woman that's 5'4", I can't see why she'd want to be with someone that's more than 5'10".

Tell me about it, my cousin is 6'7'' :laugh:

He has to duck to get into my house, it's a hindrance actually and it's made him an outcast at points in his life.

The thing is, women who might reject a guy online for being 5ft10 (or whatever height) might be happy enough with his height if they met him in person. It's too easy to be picky online; we aren't as picky in person because we're influenced by other characteristics which we can't assess online.

We are not 100% unattracted to short guys, but that's ridiculous!

There's short guys and there's FREAKISHLY short guys.

This is true; I'm not so bothered if a guy is short, or fat, or has a small penis, because I'm not completely shallow. If I liked the guy I'd deal with any of those things... but if he was freakishly short/fat/small then I wouldn't be able to compromise. 5ft1 is only slightly taller than the height range in which someone would be officially classed as a midget.

I normally go for men who are taller then me. I'm short (5'3) so I

find that someone taller is generally more attractive.

However, if the guy was a catch in every regard other then height,

it wouldn't be a deal breaker to me. :)

Cracker Jack

Why would you believe otherwise?

As significant (I'd be the last to deny this fact) as height really is when it comes to attracting women, I never became self-conscious about my height until I started posting on LS.

fortyninethousand322
Its not an obsession: its evolution. Anthropologists predict that a thousand years from now, the average man will be 7 feet tall. Height means that the guy is healthy, as great surges of height usually comes to those who are from the wealthiest of backgrounds. Take a look at Sweden, Holland, Denmark and so on. They have the best standard of living, they are rich, and most of them are at least 6 feet tall.

There's also nothing quite being able of picking up a woman by one hand. its a great feeling, for the man, and for the woman. It makes her feel safe, that she's protected by a real man, and the man feels like he's a Lion, a King among men, and that might not be so far away from the truth as some might think ;).

Two things:

1. What I bolded: I suspect then by this theory we can expect that the next great crop of really great 7 footers in the NBA is going to come from Qatar (the country with the highest per capita income in the world) because wealth has a strong correlation with height. I can see it now, a Qatari Dirk Nowitzski.

2. Because the OP's friend is so short, he's not a "real man" and should probably just give up on women completely.

Again, as always I find your posts extremely amusing.

threebyfate
While his ex may have screwed him over royally, how did he get a girlfriend in the past if his height was such a deterrent?

Attraction is one of those unpredictable scenarios. I've seen what's considered a "short guy" on LS swamped with women and also have seen very tall men ignored.

The less chips people continue carrying on their shoulders, the more attractive they become. Kind of the dividing line between experience and baggage.

While his ex may have screwed him over royally, how did he get a girlfriend in the past if his height was such a deterrent?

Attraction is one of those unpredictable scenarios. I've seen what's considered a "short guy" on LS swamped with women and also have seen very tall men ignored.

The less chips people continue carrying on their shoulders, the more attractive they become. Kind of the dividing line between experience and baggage.[/QUOTE]

Very true and I think that's usually the issue. For example, I've gotten laid a lot more than my 6'7'' cousin, and less than this guy I used to work with who was a 5'3'' ringer for Chuck Norris. While many women may have a height preference ingrained in them, it's not going to keep people from getting dates.

I personally don't find tall women attractive, but that's just my taste. They're usually proportioned differently than I like. I love a short girl with curves, a lot of tall women tend to be skinny or awkward looking.

threebyfate
Do I know you? ;) Just kidding. I apologize for our altercations some years back. Enjoy... today!
:laugh: No worries, it takes two to tango!

The past is the past. :)

Very true and I think that's usually the issue. For example, I've gotten laid a lot more than my 6'7'' cousin, and less than this guy I used to work with who was a 5'3'' ringer for Chuck Norris. While many women may have a height preference ingrained in them, it's not going to keep people from getting dates.

I personally don't find tall women attractive, but that's just my taste. They're usually proportioned differently than I like. I love a short girl with curves, a lot of tall women tend to be skinny or awkward looking.

Yes, superficial attraction can be so subjective. The extremist focus is to zero in on one trait, throwing all others out the door. That's not what happens with attraction. It's the sum of a substantial number of traits, some superficial, others internal (intellect, humour, emotional abilities, etc.).

Looking at my own dating/relationship history, they've been pretty tall. And yet in the past, I've found myself attracted to a guy who was 5'6"+ (optimum LS defined short guy). Based on the assumptions on LS, I should have rejected him right out the gate but didn't.

So how this relates to the opening post is that attitude is key. While his attitude might have improved somewhat, there's something else that's preventing connection. Is it possible that due to his prior experience, he comes across in a negative way? Or is it possible that the women he's approaching, haven't been ones open to men who are shorter than him? Maybe a combination of both.

As his friend, why not watch his interactions and perhaps be able to provide input as an observer? Better yet, as his friend, you can approach the same women and ask them in a friendly way, why they're not interested in your friend.

A guy has to be at least around 5'6" in order for me to find him dateable... 5'1 is too short for me... I think guys who are 6 ft are way too tall for me (I'm only 4'11). The perfect height in a guy for me is 5'8" (to me that's pretty damn tall!) It's not set in stone though; when I like a guy it doesn't really matter but 5'1" is on the extreme short side.