Why does he keep staring intensely?

nietsdoen

This guy from my economics class, who has never started a conversation with me (but I've started a conversation with him several times, and he talked to me and stuff, but didn't necessarily ask me any questions. I just asked him stuff and added in my own things). Before I ever talked to him, though, he would look at me a lot. Like he would turn his head around and stare at me for a few seconds. And he would look at me (I noticed from the corner of my eye) when I was walking out of the class or to talk to the teacher. Again, due to noticing this, I would try to talk to him, but he's never ever smiled at me. Now when I use a computer in the computer lab, I've noticed him staring at me several times from where he usually sits. A couple times I've caught his eye and then looked away. The second time I caught his eye when he was staring, he was simply continuing his stare from a few seconds before when I looked and when I looked again, he was looking into my eyes intensely and his head kind of tilted. Then today, I noticed out of the corner of my eye him staring like A LOT. I looked the first time and kind of rolled my eyes because I was annoyed, and I looked again and he had that same intense stare. He's young, graduated HS last year, and he doesn't seem like a creep. Why is he staring like this?

• Author
Does he look away when you catch him staring? Or just keep staring?

If he keeps on staring, that sound kinda creepy to me.

Yeah, he just keeps staring. Like we'll hold eye contact and I'll look away and out of the corner of my eye his head and eyes SEEM to remain in the same place. But he doesn't seem like someone who'd be a creep. I don't know, hmm.

He's following some bad advice and isn't getting it right. It's a power move for a man to stare at a woman and not shy away when she catches him, but he's obviously not doing it right. He's supposed to follow it up with a casual smile when you meet eyes, and he's also not supposed to do it too much. He's interested in you, but obviously very bad at expressing it.

• Author
He's following some bad advice and isn't getting it right. It's a power move for a man to stare at a woman and not shy away when she catches him, but he's obviously not doing it right. He's supposed to follow it up with a casual smile when you meet eyes, and he's also not supposed to do it too much. He's interested in you, but obviously very bad at expressing it.

Thanks for your input. I kind of thought already he was interested in me, and thusly started a few conversations, but he never smiles or really asks me anything, so I don't know if he's like playing hard to get or something then. Weird.

He's obviously either really bad at meeting women, or really damn creepy. I'd say just ignore him until he has the courage to act on whatever it is he's feeling. If he doesn't then he probably wasn't worth it anyway.

• Author
He's obviously either really bad at meeting women, or really damn creepy. I'd say just ignore him until he has the courage to act on whatever it is he's feeling. If he doesn't then he probably wasn't worth it anyway.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. =)

collegeguy_24

If your up for it, try asking him out for a date. Its pretty obvious by now he may be to nervous to do it himself.

I heard this story on the radio last week - I think it was the Public Radio show called "Radio Lab," and it was about a staring guy who turned out to have an impaired ability to recognize faces. It's called "Prosopagnosia." Maybe he has that, and he's just trying to figure out who you are.

• 2 weeks later...

I do this. I don't know why but for some reason, I have a hard time smiling at guys. I have guys (and girls) stare at me all the time. When I do find someone attractive, I often will stare at them or hold their gaze. Really, it's like I'm too nervous to smile but yet find them attractive. So maybe this is why he does this.

I heard this story on the radio last week - I think it was the Public Radio show called "Radio Lab," and it was about a staring guy who turned out to have an impaired ability to recognize faces. It's called "Prosopagnosia." Maybe he has that, and he's just trying to figure out who you are.

I tend to stare intensely at people too for a similar reason. Not quite face blind, but my memory for faces is absolutely miserable. People who have seen me a million times get offended at me for not saying hi to them when I see them. I've also had some other interesting experiences.

I don't know if this dude is a prosopagnosiac or face blind, seeing as that's kind of rare, but it's a possibility. It sounds more likely (from your descriptions) that he is possibly interested in you and doesn't know how to talk to you.

This guy from my economics class, who has never started a conversation with me (but I've started a conversation with him several times, and he talked to me and stuff, but didn't necessarily ask me any questions. I just asked him stuff and added in my own things). Before I ever talked to him, though, he would look at me a lot. Like he would turn his head around and stare at me for a few seconds. And he would look at me (I noticed from the corner of my eye) when I was walking out of the class or to talk to the teacher. Again, due to noticing this, I would try to talk to him, but he's never ever smiled at me. Now when I use a computer in the computer lab, I've noticed him staring at me several times from where he usually sits. A couple times I've caught his eye and then looked away. The second time I caught his eye when he was staring, he was simply continuing his stare from a few seconds before when I looked and when I looked again, he was looking into my eyes intensely and his head kind of tilted. Then today, I noticed out of the corner of my eye him staring like A LOT. I looked the first time and kind of rolled my eyes because I was annoyed, and I looked again and he had that same intense stare. He's young, graduated HS last year, and he doesn't seem like a creep. Why is he staring like this?

He should change his expression a little bit to acknowledge you when you look at him. A casual smile would be nice. It's a little strange. I'm a pretty forward person... I might ask him if there's something he needs.

Now and then, when I'm looking at a girl and she looks back, I'll think I'm smiling but I'm actually not, and just stare with my imaginary smile until she looks away. Doesn't happen as often as you're describing though.

He could be creepy or just nervous/awkward. Who knows?