Just need some thoughts.

BlackWaltz

Hey everyone, I'm new here but have occasionally come here to see what people think about certain situations and advice that you all give.

My situation is not that complicated but like I said all I want is to see what all the users think.

It all started little over a month ago when I was with a group of friends waiting at the movie theater for a midnight show. I'm fairly new to this group and had sort of a fling with one of the girls months ago, but that's over now and we've both moved on but remain friends. Anyway this one particular girl, let's call her Olive, whom I had always thought was cute, was totally flirting with me. I flirted back and we had some cute little moments. I enjoyed this a lot, and was hoping that we would be able to get to know one another a little more. Fast forward a couple of weeks to Thanksgiving Day, I finish the obligatory meal time with my family then head back home. Shortly after arriving at my apartment I get a text about a get together at Olive's apartment for a movie. Of course I go. I arrive and she's there with this other guy. At first I was of course disheartened but I kept my chin up and we all ended up having a great time.

Shortly after this she is newly single. A couple of weeks pass and then our flirting starts up again, on facebook, via text, and in person when we get to be together, usually in a large group of friends. We start to talk about movies, a subject I am passionate about and come to find out she hasn't seen some of the classics she absolutely must! So she decides to come out to my apartment to watch a movie one night, totally out of the blue. This is a much bigger deal than it might seem at first. See I live a decent distance away from where all my other friends live. She was the first and still the only one of them to make the drive out to see me exclusively, not even the girl I had a previous fling with had done this. So she shows up and we talk for about an hour, look at my movie collection while she points out movies she hasn't watched all the while making comments to future nights like this. We finally decide on a movie, I pop it in and we sit down to watch. She's on a little love seat I have and I in a chair adjacent to it. The movie ends, I walk her to her car and we have a very long and strong hug. I tell her to let me know when she gets home. She does, we chat a bit then say goodnight.

A week later I text seeing if she's up for it again, she is so we make a plan for the same thing. She comes the next day and we choose a movie and watch it, again sitting arrangements are the same. After the first film I offer her some coffee and food. We make some sandwiches and enjoy coffee while talking. What was supposed to be a quick little intermission stretches to a 2 and half hour long conversation. After this we sit down and watch the second movie. This one ends and she has to go. We part ways and she lets me know when she gets home. We text joking about a little running gag we have going then sleep.

Then just a couple of days ago there was a party at her and her sister's apartment which we ended up sitting very close together for most of time all the while flirting a little and making looks.

I really like this girl and don't want to make the mistakes I have in the past. I tend to get too far into the "friend zone" with a lot of the girls I'm interested in, mostly because I have a terrible fear of rejection. I'm working on getting the nerve to ask her out, but was wondering what you all thought about the situation. I know I've got to just man up and ask her...

I've got to just man up and ask her...

Yup.

She likes spending time with you alone. You may have been "friendzoned" already or she may be patiently waiting for you to make your move. You won't know which it is until you actually make that move.

I will make one proviso though. She's newly single. So proceed with caution.

creighton0123

You've put in a fair bit of private time and both of you seem to be flirting extensively. If you believe she's the kind of girl who would like it, next time she comes over for a movie, sit on the loveseat with her and once the movie is over and when you're talking, as her if you can kiss her.

If you have a fear of rejection, figure out where that fear stems from. Such a fear is irrational. Rejection sucks, but it's not horribly bad.

EDIT:

I've always found that asking people if you can kiss them has less of a chance of failure/rejection that may occur in a wanted, but unexpected advance.

• Author

Just wanted to give a quick update.

So we ended up spending nearly the whole day together yesterday/this morning and had our first kiss.

Anyway thanks everyone for your suggestions! :)