Do Women Really Compete With Each Other Over Male Attention?

tincanman99

From an observation, I would say they do.

I have a very good female friend and we are pretty close. She has a boyfriend who I am also friends with. At different points I have kidded her, why do you hook me up with some of your cute friends? Her answer which she said jokingly - than I would have to share you with them and I certainly dont want to share you.

I mentioned this to a guy I know and he said yep, you belong to her even though you are not dating. I was like huh. He said she likes the attention and is not about to share that attention with another female. He said most women are like this and want to hoard whatever male attention they do get.

I have seen her be hyper competitive with other women particularly if they are attractive. Instant hatred. Not that she is unattractive by any means.

Is this really the norm?

Yes. Women compete with each other over superficial means. Just as women will dress provocatively to go to clubs, men tend to drift towards the ones who show more " skin".

IMO, a healthy woman is happy to introduce her male friends to her female friends and/or be interested in and supportive of his 'love life'. Draw whatever conclusions that are appropriate.

Why would she hate someone if they're attractive? More conclusions.

*Some* women compete with each other over male attention. These are the orbiter collectors. Happy that you're watching this from the safety of the sidelines. IME, you really don't want to be in that milieu.

I don't think it's the norm. I set up men friends with women friends all the time.

But to answer your question with a question: Do men compete with other men for women?

Of course. Men and women both compete for the opposite sex--but the hoarding thing, naaaaah....

It's not true of all women. My wife has tried to set up my friends on a few occasions and she is on friendly terms with most of them.

The lady in question in the OP appears to be in a committed monogamous relationship with her boyfriend and the OP is a platonic male friend. Her behavior seems odd to me. Who is she competing with, for what and why?

What's being described is attention wh*re behavior, that's not limited to one particular gender. Genuine (opposite gender) friends don't have possessiveness about other people's relationship prospects, and have no qualms with introducing to or meeting a friend's romantic interest.

Friend hoarding sounds more like she wants to keep a few options for herself always available. It's just reflective of her overall personality, in this situation.

Stems from insecurity and jealousy, Tincanman99.

Whether a woman is average or attractive, she will always want to (passively or aggressively) "Up One in Hotness" in comparison to other women.

That, or Catty Fights. :lmao:

I have a very good female friend and we are pretty close...

Is this really the norm?

Unless her friends are all psychos and she is doing you a favor, this chick is not a good friend to you. Sounds pretty selfish to me.

Sure, it happens, but I wouldn't say "most" women do it. Lots do, lots don't.

In fact, I've been on the receiving end of up-and-down looks, possessive body language and other telltale signs of more than friendly interest from some of the female friends of both my current and previous boyfriends. And it's all so childish.

But the most important part is that this stuff always seems to come from women who, as it turns out, have/had a romantic interest in the guy.

In other words, they're not exactly what I'd call real friends, because they can't quite let go of that. Friends want you to be happy. My current BF also has plenty of female friends who do not act that way and are perfectly normal with me. No weirdness whatsoever. Those, IMO, are his real friends.

I know that sounds harsh, tincanman, but maybe this friend doesn't have your best interests at heart?

Edited by flying
ConstantCraving
From an observation, I would say they do.

I have a very good female friend and we are pretty close. She has a boyfriend who I am also friends with. At different points I have kidded her, why do you hook me up with some of your cute friends? Her answer which she said jokingly - than I would have to share you with them and I certainly dont want to share you.

I mentioned this to a guy I know and he said yep, you belong to her even though you are not dating. I was like huh. He said she likes the attention and is not about to share that attention with another female. He said most women are like this and want to hoard whatever male attention they do get.

I have seen her be hyper competitive with other women particularly if they are attractive. Instant hatred. Not that she is unattractive by any means.

Is this really the norm?

Wow. That's bad. But unfortunately, I can believe it. :(

I think you need to teach her lesson. Withdraw your attention from her completely. :cool:

We all compete for attention.

Its just that usually men compete by showing who among them is the most chivalrous while women compete by showing who among them is the skankiest.

We all compete for attention.

Its just that usually men compete by showing who among them is the most chivalrous while women compete by showing who among them is the skankiest.

This only explains 50% of Jersey Shore.

This only explains 50% of Jersey Shore.

:lmao::lmao:

I don't think that show's a good point to use for an argument.