How do I stop being so shy and socially awkward?

EyeAlone

****. I am so sick of messing things up. I'm dating this guy and he makes it quite clear that he's into me. When we're on dates, I do a good job at laughing at his jokes and making eye contact when he's talking. But when I'm talking, I start saying stupid things and avoiding eye contact. Although we've made out, I'm still too shy to hold his hand when we're walking. When we hugged goodbye a couple of days ago, I was too shy to give him a kiss on the cheek (although we were somewhat in public). WTF is wrong with me? I know that I'm being ridiculous because how hard is it to hold someone's hand???? When I'm in the situation, I lose all logic and just mentally and internally implode and become awkward. UGH!!!!! I know it's not the end of the world, but I don't want to give him the vibe that I'm not interested in him. Some help would be wonderful :(

skydiveaddict

It's just like anything else in life. You put your fear (shyness) aside and go for it. Not easy I know, but it can be done

I saw that you posted this on Yahoo! Answers - I'm the same way. Except, I've never had a 'real' girlfriend. I don't have advice - I'd like it myself. I have trouble with eye contact and I'm just really shy. Insecure. Everything.

I wish I was different. When I was younger, I seemed to be completely different. Not sure what happened.

Depends on a lot of things. Is this your first experience with this, is this generalized to all people (not just opposite sex), does your heart race, does your mind race in public? Do you normally have eye contact problems or is this just shyness from this particular person/situation/relationship?