Make-up, fake tan, hair extensions, fake eyelashes etc etc...

angielove

Hey everyone :)

My friend never leaves her house without wearing heaps of make-up, fake tan, fake eyelashes and hair extensions (to match her bleach blonde hair). I have known her for about 5 years and have NEVER seen her without all of that.

I usually never use any make-up other than mascara, I never use fake tan, and I've never even touched fake eyelashes or hair extensions.

We are both equally attractive, but whenever we're out she gets like 95% of the attention from guys. She is a really nice person so it's not like she doesn't deserve the attention, but I'm really nice too! I feel like I just can't compete when she's dressed up like that... and she is ALWAYS dressed up like that.

Sorry I sound like such a whiny brat... I just needed to get that out! I would love to hear what other people think about girls who wear that kind of stuff all the time! :) x

Tim The Enchanter

Urgh. I find that quite a turn off in women. Of course, it's hard to judge either of you because I don't know what you look like, but I know how men think. The average man is pretty undiscerning and will invariably go after the girls with the short, revealing dresses, stilettoes, tarty make-up etc. However, those are the kind of guys who aren't necessarily filled with integrity, or relationship material.

Give me a modest, yet stylish woman any day.

I myself aren't very keen on women that wear loads of make-up and stuff. It just makes them look fake and if really caked on with a trowel, look awful.

I prefer the natural look. Hardly any make-up, a bit of mascara, bit of blusher or whatever, just enough to emphasise facial features. I'd probably give you my attention rather than your friend.

Tim The Enchanter
I myself aren't very keen on women that wear loads of make-up and stuff. It just makes them look fake and if really caked on with a trowel, look awful.

Yeah, those are the ones you see in town on a Friday and Saturday night in this country. It makes you wonder what's going on in their heads - not very much, in all likelihood.

kiss_andmakeup

I know exactly the type you mean. I prefer to keep things natural (even though I like to glam up my make-up on occasion, I stay away from extensions, false eyelashes, spray tans, etc). Tim The Enchanter said it well: she'll attract men like that, sure, but they'll likely only be looking for one thing. And even if they're not, imagine the look on their face when she comes out of the shower and, while she may still be pretty, looks nothing like they thought she did.

To me going to the extent to be that fake is just not worth it. In a serious relationship the guy is going to see the real her eventually. And there will be a night and day difference between what he thinks she looks like and what she actually looks like!

I also find it a shame that (and as a hairstylist I see this a lot) many women think that in order to be "hot," you must be blonde & tan. Some women, due to their complexions or eye colour or facial features, look much hotter in other hair colours and with a more natural skintone. They just assume that it's not considered attractive enough by men.

Generally with makeup, I find less is more. A little bit can be nice and accentuate features but a lot of women go way overboard.

As for hair extensions... well I have a thing for girls with short hair so my opinion is probably a little bias :p

Fake tan is an instant turn off for me... especially when they look orange.

However, I know I'm in a minority and a lot of guys do look for a "perfect woman" so will go after a girl who's trying to make herself "perfect".

loverofloveandstuff

If it bugs you that much and you want more attention then why don't you just do the same?

I always hear guys say they find women without makeup more attractive... most of the time you can't even tell if a girl is wearing 'natural' makeup although in reality, it might be a LOT.

kiss_andmakeup

Yeah, and unfortunately when guys say they like the no make up look, they mean they like the way Victoria's Secret models look without makeup. :rolleyes:

My boyfriend tells me I'm most beautiful without makeup, but we have been together for over two years. He knows me and my personality and always thinks I look pretty even in dumpy clothes and unwashed hair. When you're just looking around, scoping out guys, it's good to step up your game a bit.

OP, what's wrong with maybe changing up your makeup routine a bit, only for when you're going out? I agree that the extensions, spray tans, fake eyelashes are pretty ridiculous, but there is some middle ground between all that, and just mascara.

Another thing to keep in mind is that, if you are going to bars, restaurants, or clubs in the evening, the dim lighting can really flush out your features if you don't wear some makeup. My day makeup is quite different from my evening makeup. I have a friend who always says "if it looks slightly overdone in the bathroom, it'll look perfect at the bar." If it's a lack of knowledge that's the problem, check out YouTube. There are tons of great makeup application tutorials on there!

Edited by kiss_andmakeup
kiss_andmakeup
That covers probably 75% of the female population. I'm not being mean, but its the truth. And its not a girls fault either, no one ever taught them, or they were taught wrong.

Same goes with bras, and a lot of everday outfits that women put together.

Believe it or not, a lot of guys do notice more than just the makeup issue.

I could use help putting together outfits as well.

Yep, and many women feel it's better to just not try with makeup at all (like the OP) than to end up like one of those messes with blue eyeshadow and hot pink lipstick smudged all over her lips!

The best way to practice with makeup, then, is to do it when you have some time to yourself. Play around with eyeshadows in your bathroom. See what you can create, then remove it and try something else. Play around with it until you find a look you like. If you're truly clueless about what shades would look good on you, go to a professional (and NO the overly-made-up ladies who work at Sephora do NOT count). Most nice salons and spas have an esthetician (an educated skin therapist) or make-up artist on staff. Schedule a make-up lesson with one in your area. They're usually pretty affordable ($45 at my salon) and the information is invaluable. And since you're paying for the lesson, they're not going to push you to buy product (as opposed to getting a "free" makeup application at a cosmetic counter and then being talked into buying $80 worth of stuff).

Look at who admires whom.

Look at the guys who think someone like JWoww or Sammi "Sweetheart" is hot compared to guys who think Kate Middleton is hot.

Seen loads of the fake girls...but they seem to land plenty of guys wanting to get laid over the guys who want boyfriends...while the "good girls" get the marriage proposals.

For me, a girl who looks decent with no or little makeup is VERY IMPORTANT. I find girls with tons of makeup can look stunningly hot. But Im not stupid and I know that they look gorgeous because they are wearing a mask.

If you just want attention, then go ahead invest the time and money like your friend does. But if you want to find someone who likes you for you, then dont present yourself as what you are.

• Author

Thanks for your replies everyone!

I don't want to start wearing lots of make-up and hair extensions etc to get attention because that's just not me. I'd feel way to uncomfortable! But I think I will start using eyeshadow - sometimes I wear it to work and I get heaps more tips haha.

The girl I was talking about actually does have a boyfriend. They've been going out for 2 years and I'm pretty sure he hasn't seen her without her whole get-up either :S

I admit, I do get quite a bit of attention when I go out. But when I'm with her, I think her look makes her stand out so much that no one really notices me. We look quite different - I've got natural dark brown hair, green eyes and pale skin while she's got bleached blonde hair, brown eyes and fake tanned skin. And she wears very dressy clothes to the pub while I wear jeans-and-shirt type things.

I think I'm just frustrated that people (guys) usually don't look beyond the very superficial layer of make-up, fake tan and hair extensions. I wish it was an even playing field where no one wore anything fake and everyone looked just how they were born to look! End rant.

loverofloveandstuff
Look at who admires whom.

Look at the guys who think someone like JWoww or Sammi "Sweetheart" is hot compared to guys who think Kate Middleton is hot.

Seen loads of the fake girls...but they seem to land plenty of guys wanting to get laid over the guys who want boyfriends...while the "good girls" get the marriage proposals.

Do you even know how much makeup Kate Middleton wears? My guess is she wears a lot. Probably just as much as Sammi or JWow only it's made to look more natural and not like she's about to hit the clubs.

And that's a silly comparison. Kate Middleton is quite a bit older than those two... I doubt those two even want to get married at their age.

As long as she's attractive to me, it doesn't matter what level of make-up she has on. I just consider it fashion. The deal breaker would be her personality.

loverofloveandstuff
As long as she's attractive to me, it doesn't matter what level of make-up she has on. I just consider it fashion. The deal breaker would be her personality.

Now why can't all guys think like this!

Now why can't all guys think like this!

How is his opinion that much different?

All guys like to see attractive women doesnt matter if its makeup or natural.

The issue is most often with the women when they worry that they cant be seen without makeup.

I would love to hear what other people think about girls who wear that kind of stuff all the time! :) x

In my experience, the one's who always leave the house with that sh*t on are very insecure. They also don't believe you when you tell em that they don't need to wear/use any of those things.

Fake tans are absolutely disgusting!

Yeah, and unfortunately when guys say they like the no make up look, they mean they like the way Victoria's Secret models look without makeup. :rolleyes:

Yeah right. What a load of rubbish.

Do you even know how much makeup Kate Middleton wears? My guess is she wears a lot. Probably just as much as Sammi or JWow only it's made to look more natural and not like she's about to hit the clubs.

And that's a silly comparison. Kate Middleton is quite a bit older than those two... I doubt those two even want to get married at their age.

5 years isn't really "quite a bit older," and I vigorously disagree that Kate wears as much makeup in quantity as the Jersey Shore girls.

Ya so whats up with these women who complain that men dont accept women the way they are? I mean when was the last time they dated an adult guy with no job? Women are angry that men want them to look like Victoria's Secret models while men are angry that women want them to be Bill Gates.

If you dont look like a model then ACCEPT IT. Just because you put stuff on your face to make you look like one doesnt mean you are one. Its only a mask. Just because a guy drives his friends BMW, doesnt make him rich.

Yeah, and unfortunately when guys say they like the no make up look, they mean they like the way Victoria's Secret models look without makeup.

Edited by musemaj11
loverofloveandstuff
How is his opinion that much different?

All guys like to see attractive women doesnt matter if its makeup or natural.

The issue is most often with the women when they worry that they cant be seen without makeup.

Okay, but most guys here, and IRL are always talking about how they like girls who are 'natural', and don't wear makeup.

loverofloveandstuff
5 years isn't really "quite a bit older," and I vigorously disagree that Kate wears as much makeup in quantity as the Jersey Shore girls.

Alright. My point is, men say they prefer 'natural girls who don't wear makeup' when infact they are wearing a heap of makeup. They just don't realise it.

I usually never use any make-up other than mascara, I never use fake tan, and I've never even touched fake eyelashes or hair extensions.

Remember what Helena Rubenstein said. "There are no ugly girls, only lazy ones." If you want a guy then get to work.

Be thankful that an hour in front of the mirror is all it takes to attract guys left in right.

There is nothing that a man can do in one hour that will get that assertive attention from women.

I have two girlfriends who are makeup artists. One works for Chanel, and wears what appears to be more natural makeup given the colors she uses. Something like this: http://makeupbag.net/wp-content/uploads/springsummer2008020_med.jpg

The other one works for MAC and does heavier eyes, like this: http://haute-heels.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/kimber.jpg She also often wears color, like this http://i40.tinypic.com/2i8zrc4.jpg

Despite the different end looks, they both lacquer their faces, and they both get TONS of attention... tons more attention than their equally beautiful friends who aren't as loaded up with makeup. They also both fake tan and do hair extensions.

As usual, I don't think LS men are a true replica of a sampling of men IRL. Unless the men in question are nature boys, I just don't think they really care so long as what they're looking at is pretty...and honestly, MOST MEN cannot tell a natural-looking-lacquered face from a truly natural face. :)

For me, a girl who looks decent with no or little makeup is VERY IMPORTANT. I find girls with tons of makeup can look stunningly hot. But Im not stupid and I know that they look gorgeous because they are wearing a mask.

I'm not someone who wears a lot of makeup, so it doesn't matter to me either way, but can I ask why you feel this way?

If everytime you see her, she looks amazing, why does it matter to you if it's from makeup or her bare skin? I'm honestly curious.