Losing weight for men???

jennifer4

I've read more than one post recently about this. WTF? Seriously, dropping a few lbs to get the attention of a guy is crazy. I understand some of these women have eating disorders or body image disorders but why would you want a guy who's just attracted to you for your weight? I workout 5-6 days a wk and do so as much for how it makes me feel as how it makes me look. I weigh myself once every couple weeks. If I dieted down and lost some weight to impress a guy what happens when that weight comes back? Makes absolutely no sense to me. Stay in shape and worry about how you feel and not trying to starve yourself. I weigh more now than I did when I was in my 20's but I'm in the best shape of my life so far, it's only going to get better. Keep your body healthy and that's gonna be so much more attractive to most men. Just my 2 cents.

Keep your body healthy and that's gonna be so much more attractive to most men.

Totally agree. Those threads have been quite disturbing to me.

I've recently taken up Crossfit, and I'll tell you... The HAWT guys there are way more interested in what a chick can do with her body than how much she weighs. If there's any insecurity, that's it for me. Can I jump that high? Run that fast? Lift that much? Ski that hard?

I'm in better physical condition now, way heavier than I was in my early 20's. And guess what? The men eat it up. Why? Because this bod is healthy.

I've read more than one post recently about this. WTF? Seriously, dropping a few lbs to get the attention of a guy is crazy. I understand some of these women have eating disorders or body image disorders but why would you want a guy who's just attracted to you for your weight? I workout 5-6 days a wk and do so as much for how it makes me feel as how it makes me look. I weigh myself once every couple weeks. If I dieted down and lost some weight to impress a guy what happens when that weight comes back? Makes absolutely no sense to me. Stay in shape and worry about how you feel and not trying to starve yourself. I weigh more now than I did when I was in my 20's but I'm in the best shape of my life so far, it's only going to get better. Keep your body healthy and that's gonna be so much more attractive to most men. Just my 2 cents.

Honestly, most women stay thin at least in part to impress men. If men didn't care about weight, a lot of women would let themselves go. That's why lesbians tend to be a lot heavier on average. I don't see it as a big deal, since it's no different from wearing nice clothes and makeup to attract a mate. I suppose if you're just doing it for men it's unhealthy, but usually it's a combination of reasons.

Honestly, most women stay thin at least in part to impress men. If men didn't care about weight, a lot of women would let themselves go.

Do you know what the size of the average American woman is? I'll give you a clue: it's not thin, and the majority of women are NOT single. So what does that tell you??

I don't think it's that big of a deal..

I want to lose 10/15 lbs (My BMI is like 22/23 and I want it to be like 20). I see it as- I'm trying to get into the best shape of my life, which I'm not at right now. Obviously I want to lose weight for myself, to feel more confident, look better in clothes, look great in a bikini. Getting guys attention is just an added bonus.

Guys go to the gym to get into shape and impress girls, whats the big deal? I just see it as making yourself a better catch.

Do you know what the size of the average American woman is? I'll give you a clue: it's not thin, and the majority of women are NOT single. So what does that tell you??

That the desire for vagina is so strong that men well settle.

Seriously appearance is very important to men. If you asked those married men if they would be happier if their partner lost 20lbs, the vast majority would say yes.

• Author

Sure an added bonus would be to attract a man, but I was just pointing out that it seems a lot of women are dropping weight to get a guy's attention. THAT is wrong, IMO. I want to attract a guy who likes to stay in shape and workout, that's very important to me. I am single and that's ok, I'll continue working out for myself. I had an awesome workout this morning( I usually workout in the evenings) and I love the feeling of having so much energy and knowing that I am bettering myself. I could never starve myself for a few days just to get a guy's attention : )

Oh I think I know what you are talking about, and I agree. Starving yourself to get a man's attention is ridiculous.

But I would say my main reason to get into shape and lose weight is to get noticed by guys more. I have been going to the gym a ton lately. (I haven't seen any difference yet, but I feel great from working out so much!) I find it's nice to have an added motivation to go.

• Author

Yep, working out is my addiction : ) I really love how it makes me feel. I was certified as a trainer a few yrs ago and really love how strength training has transformed my body. I'm glad you're feeling the benefits and soon you'll be seeing them too! Keep it up!

People don't realize part of the reason why males and females work out is, yes, to be attractive to the opposite sex. It may not be at the forefront of your mind, but it's there. I believe there is a very very very small percentage who do it solely for health reasons.

It doesn't matter if you refute this opinion. Because I won't believe you regardless of what you say. I've seen this way too many times to feel like I could be wrong.

• Author

I don't think I said that at all. If I attract a guy, great. I do get hit on a lot at the gym, but thats not the main reason for working out. Like someone else mentioned, it's an added benefit.

I don't see anything wrong with wanting to get in shape/lose weight to attract men. Nothing at all. Plus it does have the added benefit of increasing health. So what if it's to attract men? It's win-win.

I'm in the process of losing weight at a reasonable pace now and yes the sole reason is when I'm at a weight I feel more comfortable, THEN I will consider online dating. I see the online dating world as fierce and so yes any edge I can get in a reasonable way, I will do.

And my BMI is currently around 26 (overweight, but not obese) and my goal is to get it to around 23-24. At my age (late 40s) I don't think I could get my BMI to 20. I'd have to drop to 110 lbs, and I don't think that's gonna happen.

Ha, yea, and the average size for an American man is just as large! They marry each other.

That the desire for vagina is so strong that men well settle.

Seriously appearance is very important to men. If you asked those married men if they would be happier if their partner lost 20lbs, the vast majority would say yes.

Very true, I've asked many men why big girls were getting married more often, and they all told me the same thing you just said. Go figure "BIG" time!

I am not getting this BMI 20 business...I am 5,7 and I have been BMI 27-28 because I take part in sports and regular gym and look very good...I eat healthy on most days and if I eat junk one day due to some outing, I make sure I detox the following day etc... I really have no wish to go down to BMI 20... Look good, Feel good ladies!!

work out for the feel good factor and if in the process you attract more men then why not :p

Sure an added bonus would be to attract a man, but I was just pointing out that it seems a lot of women are dropping weight to get a guy's attention. THAT is wrong, IMO. I want to attract a guy who likes to stay in shape and workout, that's very important to me. I am single and that's ok, I'll continue working out for myself. I had an awesome workout this morning( I usually workout in the evenings) and I love the feeling of having so much energy and knowing that I am bettering myself. I could never starve myself for a few days just to get a guy's attention : )

Starving one's self is very unhealthy. Especially to try to lose weight. You're body will eat itself alive to get the much needed nutrients it needs to function.

It's all about eating the right kinds of foods to lose weight, and a lot of them.

• Author

I agree 100 %. I had no idea what my BMI was. I just checked, it's 22. I really don't care what it is or what the scale says. I check my body fat at the gym 2-3 times a yr. I just look at how my clothes fit. I am comfortable with my muscular legs and obviously muscle weighs more than fat and I'm ok with that. I am 140 lbs and 5'6 and wouldnt want to get back down to the 113 lbs I was in my early 20's.. Feel good about the muscles you have and how strong you actually are. Women really need to realize this.. SKinny isn't something we need to strive for! My oldest daughter is 17 and I hope I've taught her that a strong body is more important than skinny.

I agree 100 %. I had no idea what my BMI was. I just checked, it's 22. I really don't care what it is or what the scale says. I check my body fat at the gym 2-3 times a yr. I just look at how my clothes fit. I am comfortable with my muscular legs and obviously muscle weighs more than fat and I'm ok with that. I am 140 lbs and 5'6 and wouldnt want to get back down to the 113 lbs I was in my early 20's.. Feel good about the muscles you have and how strong you actually are. Women really need to realize this.. SKinny isn't something we need to strive for! My oldest daughter is 17 and I hope I've taught her that a strong body is more important than skinny.

media has messed up young women's mind so much...I am totally happy with how I look and wouldnt swap my body with any skinny minny. Furthermore, I always had by far more male attention than I even desire..in the gym, at work, in the bar... anywhere I go. Looks are composed of many things, healthy hair, crisp clean appearence, flawless skin, a beautiful face, smile and above all, a confident attitude to go with it...be a full package and watch the men fall at your feet.. thats what I say :))

It tells me that the standards amongst the male populace has dropped.

Being curvey is not fat, but when a person has rolls then that is unattractive to most people, notably men.

Men who are in relationships with large women with wobbly bits and love handles is with her because he has settled in most part.

People maintain their appearance for other people to see. Those who say otherwise are lying to themselves.

If you lived in an isolated prison cell by yourself 24/7, you arent going to give a crap about how you look.

People maintain their appearance for other people to see. Those who say otherwise are lying to themselves.

Then why do I sometimes put on makeup, and lather on smelly lotion, and condition my hair, and allathat, alone at home when I know I'm not leaving my apartment??

I don't really care what anyone says, I maintain my appearance for myself and myself alone. But I've been desired at every shape and size, so perhaps I know that I'm worthy of love regardless if I'm carrying around a couple extra pounds or not. :)

I've recently taken up Crossfit...

Whaaaat?!!? :eek:

But I guess it's ok... :rolleyes::laugh::love:

But back on topic, healthy >>> skinny...

Remember, being healthy and fit is a lifestyle, not an appearance...you could be twig skinny but have terrible eating and exercise habits and simply luck out with ridiculous metabolism or the such. It's that lifestyle choice and accompanying character values that make a girl sexy and attractive, regardless of what her BMI is. It's the desire to be healthy that matters.

Same goes for guys.

No homo.

I don't think I said that at all. If I attract a guy, great. I do get hit on a lot at the gym, but thats not the main reason for working out. Like someone else mentioned, it's an added benefit.

It's just as much of a primary purpose, rather than an added benefit, being healthy can also be seen as an added benefit.

But I will agree that you should do it for yourself, but also attracting a mate is quite the motivator for most people to work out.

However, keeping to a regimen is going to require much more motivation than just to attract someone.

I don't think it's that big of a deal..

I want to lose 10/15 lbs (My BMI is like 22/23 and I want it to be like 20). I see it as- I'm trying to get into the best shape of my life, which I'm not at right now. Obviously I want to lose weight for myself, to feel more confident, look better in clothes, look great in a bikini. Getting guys attention is just an added bonus.

Guys go to the gym to get into shape and impress girls, whats the big deal? I just see it as making yourself a better catch.

This is really what it boils down to Kalki. Making yourself a better catch over all.

Good luck to you.

• Author
It's just as much of a primary purpose, rather than an added benefit, being healthy can also be seen as an added benefit.

But I will agree that you should do it for yourself, but also attracting a mate is quite the motivator for most people to work out.

However, keeping to a regimen is going to require much more motivation than just to attract someone.

I think that's the point I'm trying to make. Thank you. The way I workout and with the intensity that I do so is certainly not going to be done just to attract a guy.