Why is it pretty much impossible to meet women who are funny?

St. Nick

Why is it just about impossible to meet women who are funny?

That question's been bugging me for a while now. Ever notice that women just aren't funny? Even most female comediennes aren't funny. Most of the time when women say something funny it's more like bitterly sarcastic "I wanna cut you down cuz I'm in a crappy mood" type of funny. Example, "I told my boyfriend my diaphragm dropped outta my purse and he said, 'Oh, you mean like geometry? How did you manage to get that into your purse?' And I was like, 'Could you be a bigger dork than you are now, really?'" Like that type of bitter sarcasm that anyone can do.

Why do women lack the ability to display comic wit, timing, precision, and regular humor? The people I asked gave me two reasons: 1. men are intimidated by funny women; 2. men don't notice funny women cuz most funny women aren't attractive. Both are false.

1. Women do a lot of things they think intimidate men (i.e. hold positions of power or play sports) and they don't stop doing it out of consideration for men. Heck, they even do it because of that. So why should joke telling be any different?

2. I'm not always trying to bang every woman I meet. If someone says a good joke I'm gonna laugh irregardless of gender or looks. Same thing goes for being a good singer, sports player, writer, etc. If you do something good I'm gonna acknowledge it's good no matter who you are.

Most of the comediennes don't make me laugh like Sarah Silverman: "If you want lemons then ya gotta make lemonAIDS." That's not funny ha-ha, it's more like it's funny cuz it's controversial.

Why are there never any female class clowns, funny coworkers, generally upbeat and funny women who can make my sides split? Why do women call me and say, "I'm bored" and expect me to provide the jokes and never give back? How come when a dude is in a room full of women the dude feels like he's compelled to provide the entertainment (is it because women are incapable of providing entertainment?)?

So what's the deal? Why are there few funny women?

Women are jumped on for sticking out in any way.

But I grew up in a house full of boys, so I'm used to being teased/dishing it out.

But hey! I'm funny! In fact, my date remarked last week: "Wow, I've never met a girl who's actually funny... and you smile. A lot."

We're just not funny. Duh.

So what's the deal? Why are there few funny women?

Oh. That's because generally women don't find dick and fart jokes funny. We have a more sophisticated sense of humor.

Maybe you should try dating younger girls if you're having problems in this area?

Here is that old debate again only in different clothes.

Women ARE funny -- but it is just that we are wired differently to find different things funny.

Like NewAgain said, we don't appreciate slapstick comedy involving bodily functions as humorous as men do. While NewAgain might label our brand of humor as "sophisticated," I don't know if I would even go that far in describing what is funny to us.

But there is a reason that men don't laugh at women comediennes and it is as basic as that "Men are From Mars" stuff.

Why sit and wonder why women aren't funny? Spend more time learning what is funny to US and you will understand the female persuasion better.

And, Alpha, yes -- we get offended way too easily at the bodily and base humor because it is so base.

Here is that old debate again only in different clothes.

Women ARE funny -- but it is just that we are wired differently to find different things funny.

Like NewAgain said, we don't appreciate slapstick comedy involving bodily functions as humorous as men do. While NewAgain might label our brand of humor as "sophisticated," I don't know if I would even go that far in describing what is funny to us.

But there is a reason that men don't laugh at women comediennes and it is as basic as that "Men are From Mars" stuff.

Why sit and wonder why women aren't funny? Spend more time learning what is funny to US and you will understand the female persuasion better.

And, Alpha, yes -- we get offended way too easily at the bodily and base humor because it is so base.

This is pretty much what I was getting at....because it's the same old, same old (as Carrie pointed out), I was being a little facetious by claiming that women are more sophisticated :o

Tnerforireyeh

A friend of mine in college had a theory: comedy is generated by sperm. Women aren't funny, and guys who are getting laid regularly aren't either.

Rearden Metal

and...

That's cool and all, but by that standard, is "highbrow" or "intelligent" humor just too elitist?

Because I think both are funny, but wonder at someone who only thinks one type is funny.

That's cool and all, but by that standard, is "highbrow" or "intelligent" humor just too elitist?

Because I think both are funny, but wonder at someone who only thinks one type is funny.

I don't necessarily think so.

My favorite form of humor are found in BritComs and in Black Comedies. Yes, I believe it takes a level of intelligence to appreciate the complexities of the jokes, but does that make them elitist?

Everybody farts and most people have orgasms; that is why movies like Something About Mary is funnier to men because it is based on bodily functions.

Now everybody dies, but somehow finding the comedy in movies like Delicatessen or The Loved One requires a frame of reference to other intellectual genres.

Confusedguy81

My favorite form of humor are found in BritComs and in Black Comedies. Yes, I believe it takes a level of intelligence to appreciate the complexities of the jokes, but does that make them elitist?

Everybody farts and most people have orgasms; that is why movies like Something About Mary is funnier to men because it is based on bodily functions.

Now everybody dies, but somehow finding the comedy in movies like Delicatessen or The Loved One requires a frame of reference to other intellectual genres.

Happy Gilmore is a masterpiece

Wow. I'm sorry that your inflatable blow up dolls don't speak much, but you can't generalize women as being souless, humorless creatures. Try speaking to some, and you'll be generally surprised.

Rearden Metal
Wow. I'm sorry that your inflatable blow up dolls don't speak much, but you can't generalize women as being souless, humorless creatures. Try speaking to some, and you'll be generally surprised.

Way to make a solid case for your opponent.

Rearden Metal

Good reply. I ask because I generally find everything funny. And if not haha funny then at least slit my wrists funny.

burning 4 revenge

Most women aren't self-deprecating. Some of them are quite good at cutting others down, but I've yet to meet a woman who doesn't ultimately take herself and her life very seriously.

I have come across some (well a couple) with a sharp wit but they generally shine when their commentary is at the expense of other people.

Men are more conditioned to being disposable. We always have been since we have been the ones expected to sacrifice everything to protect and provide for the women and children. Traditionally I'm talking about.

I think that conditions a stoic sense of "f*ck it all" in guys that women just don't have.

Women don't get the three stooges... need I say more ?

MissGoLightly
Women don't get the three stooges... need I say more ?

I have a 3 Stooges poster framed in my home...but only because they're golfing, and in that context it's funny.....I admit I pretty much don't find slapstick "comedy" to be funny, and it seems that most guys do...who knows why....

Give me satire any day.

SadandConfusedWA

I dunno but I generally relate to male sense of humor teasing/mocking better than the female sense of humor. It has to be said in the right tone though and on message boards I sometimes can't tell.

As an example, when I go to a movie with my female friends and their boyfriends, girls and guys tend to laugh at different points (in the movie). I am always in agreement with the guys but have to hold back so that girls wouldn't misconstrue it as flirting. I generally have to tone down my humor if I want to keep any girlfriends around. I also tend to prefer same type of music that guys do. Many women just like lame, romantic crap that does nothing for me.

Also, I find NONE of the female comedians funny. Having said all that, I hate fart jokes too - but I wouldn't reduce all (or most of) male humor to fart/bodily functions jokes.

sweetjasmine

My boyfriend thinks I'm funny, and he laughs at my jokes, but my sense of humor isn't the "lol dicks and poop" type.

The back and forth banter I've seen between guys just hanging out - friends, my brothers - is usually painfully unfunny. "ur gay" "no u" "no U!" "that's what ur mom said!!!!" isn't witty or clever.

Delicatessen

I loved that movie.

And Sarah Silverman is not funny.

Give me George Carlin or Lewis Black or Emo Phillips any day of the week.

Edited by sweetjasmine

I remember dating a guy once who took me to this party. I had his guy friends in stitches and after the date he asked "why do you always have to be funny?" and I replied "I wasn't trying to be funny I was just being myself". He said "I don't like that and I wish you would be more subdued". I broke up with him. I don't think most guys really like it if their girl is too humurous. It gets them too much attention. I think it's great that OP is looking for that in a woman.

The real reason that men are generally more funny than women is that women dont have to be funny to get attention. From an evolutionary point of view, being funny is a rewarded behavior for men... and if a man isnt going to be tall, fit and attractive then he had better have the funny gene if he ever hopes to reproduce... while some women happen to have the funny gene all they really need to do in order to reproduce is have a vagina.

Maybe I'm tooting my own horn, but I think I'm funny. I am the "funny friend," which is probably why guys either like me or think I'm weird. I can be sharp, quick-witted and self-deprecating.

BUT, I will say I grew-up very non-girly. I also never saw myself as the "pretty girl," "popular girl," or "smart girl." I don't know whether my humor is natural or that I conditioned myself to be funny, since I lacked other traits. Having a quick-witted brother helped.

I was pretty unattractive and kind of overweight as a teen. Humor was sort of my self-defense mechanism -- making fun of myself before others could. I like to take the piss out of myself and others. When I lost the weight and grew into my looks, I guess I've actually turned out to be decent looking (or so people say), but the inner ugly duckling mentality is still within me. So now I'm just an attractive chick, who can make guys laugh.

One of my exes told me on our second date: "You're really funny...that's unusual for a woman." Not sure if he meant it as a compliment or if I should have been insulted.

Girls don't tend to be particularly funny, because we were raised to think other things like attractiveness, femininity and coyness were more important to get by in life. Humor can be seen as aggressive, thus this trait was never seen as something important we needed to hone.

Tnerforireyeh
Maybe I'm tooting my own horn, but I think I'm funny.

Everyone thinks they're funny, sweetheart.

Margeret Cho is the same brand of NOTfunny as Sarah Silverman. "Look at me, I'm gonna do fart jokes and it's shocking because I'm a girl!"

Not funny.

Not that the same jokes would be funny if any male comedian were doing them, unless they were doing them with severe irony involved. Norm McDonalds squeeky clean complimenting of Bob Saget during Saget's comedy central roast, now that's funny.