Sex Without Emotion for Women - Is it possible?

SilkRose

So here's the question, is it possible for a woman to have sex (casual or occasional) without experiencing the emotional downer afterwards?

If so, how exactly can this be achieved? Has anyone on this board ever achieved this? :bunny:

Why do you experience an emotional downer after sex?

Sex, for me, can be emotional or not. Depends on my partner and how I feel about that partner. Love, affection, lust, etc.

If you feel bad after sex with anyone , then having the sex to begin with was not a good idea. If you feel bad after sex regardless of your partner, then you have to question your feelings about yourself. Maybe your feeling about sex.

If you feel bad about sex with your regular partner - thats a relationship issue.

If you feel about sex because you dont have a regular partner , then maybe thats a loneliness issue.

But yes - of course people have sex without feeling bad after...loving sex and random sex if thats where your comfort level is at.

Its not so much a how question as a why?

So here's the question, is it possible for a woman to have sex (casual or occasional) without experiencing the emotional downer afterwards?

If so, how exactly can this be achieved? Has anyone on this board ever achieved this? :bunny:

Of course it's possible. Practically every woman at a nightclub who has a one-night stand has no emotional investment in the experience. They are simply drunk and horny.

How can this be achieved? Obviously you just don't think beyond your d*ck (or c*nt).

If you are secure and comfortable with casual sex and thats what your looking for - then there is no downer.

But if you want more than casual sex, and thats what you're getting...that would make anyone feel crappy.

• Author

By 'emotional downer' I mean that feeling of attachment and the other 'crush-like' feelings e.g. thinking about them a lot etc.

I am able to "have sex like a guy", I've always said. For me it's easy to separate sex from emotion. It's all how I prepare myself beforehand. If I know from the second I meet the guy that he wouldn't do much in the boyfriend department but woudl in the bedroom department, I will have sex with them maybe but not try to date them. It's a mindset for me. I don't really know how to explain it.

the most recent casual sex fling for me was this guy I met through a friend. I'd come back to my hometown to visit for the weekend and met my friend for dinner. Before that, she'd asked if her friend could come b/c they were hanging out. I said sure. Went to dinner, met them, had a good time. He was cute but not my type. My friend had to leave to go to bed for work the next day but i didn't. He said he didn't either. We hung out a little more at dinner, chatted, and he invited me to his place. I said sure, knowing what I was going there for. We had sex a couple times over that weekend and once when I moved back to my hometown a month later and I haven't seen or talked to him since, really. I just knew from talking to him that first night that he wasn't boyfriend material, the way he talked and carried himself, but he was cute and I hadn't gotten any in a while.

I have a boyfriend now, an amazing one. The second I met him, I knew he was for me...again, just the way he carried himself and such.

I suppose my advice is to be a very good judge of character and follow your instincts. But I agree with 2sure...if you don't think you can handle casual sex, don't even try. It will leave you feeling crappy.

Actually for some of us, it's the only kind of sex we're interested in having. Marriage, committed relationships are more work than they are worth and cost far too much in terms of emotions,time, money and lost opportunities.

• Author

Ok so the one time I tried to have sex without emotions was when I had a FWB situtation with someone I had known for years through work and as friends. Basically I found myself having feelings of attachment towards him and romantic fantasties, almost as if I had a cruch on him. But I didn't,m I wasn't in love, I knoew that we were incompatible in terms of having a long term relationship/getting married one day - he felt the opposite...didn't end as well as we both wanted it to. Anyway its as if my mind knew the truth but I still had these feelings, the kind that I get when I have a crush on someone. I read something by Dr Ian Kerner, that made me wonder if I can ever just have sex and walk away/feel nothing. Perhaps his explaination is better than mine. He answers the question 'Can women have sex like men?' : http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/29282186/ns/today-today_relationships/

I'm a very sensitive caring person, I care for friends and family all the time so, I'm just wondering if I would always feels something because that's just how I am, or if I can 'switch it off'.

Yes, it is possible. The way to achieve that is by having only one thing in mind. Sex. Which, for most women, isn't the case.

Bipolar women can accomplish this.. Most well balanced normal women will not just have sex to have sex with anyone.

I completely disagree with that statement. It has absolutely no logic behind it. Women have needs also, and if a woman wants to have sex, I don't see why it would make her bipolar if she went out and had casual sex.

Makes no sense.

• Author
I am able to "have sex like a guy", I've always said. For me it's easy to separate sex from emotion. It's all how I prepare myself beforehand. If I know from the second I meet the guy that he wouldn't do much in the boyfriend department but woudl in the bedroom department, I will have sex with them maybe but not try to date them. It's a mindset for me. I don't really know how to explain it.

the most recent casual sex fling for me was this guy I met through a friend. I'd come back to my hometown to visit for the weekend and met my friend for dinner. Before that, she'd asked if her friend could come b/c they were hanging out. I said sure. Went to dinner, met them, had a good time. He was cute but not my type. My friend had to leave to go to bed for work the next day but i didn't. He said he didn't either. We hung out a little more at dinner, chatted, and he invited me to his place. I said sure, knowing what I was going there for. We had sex a couple times over that weekend and once when I moved back to my hometown a month later and I haven't seen or talked to him since, really. I just knew from talking to him that first night that he wasn't boyfriend material, the way he talked and carried himself, but he was cute and I hadn't gotten any in a while.

I have a boyfriend now, an amazing one. The second I met him, I knew he was for me...again, just the way he carried himself and such.

I suppose my advice is to be a very good judge of character and follow your instincts. But I agree with 2sure...if you don't think you can handle casual sex, don't even try. It will leave you feeling crappy.

Thanks for your response! Very interesting. So you feel nothing for this other guy at all?

I have only tried it once and I felt attached. Am celibate at the moment but am thinking of going for casual sex rather than a relationship in the future. The emotional price is too much for me to pay over and over again. I am willing to work at a relationship but I don't want to be let down over and over again and I don't want to have to play games with men. I am straight forward and honest. I don't use guys to get 'free dinners'. lol! I am genuine but don't seem to meet anyone worthwhile (honest, genuine). It's as if my honesty is wasted. Hmmm. Am planning to travel a lot next year, am wondering if that will help or make things clearer....?

At the moment it seems like celibacy or casual/occasional casual sex are my only options.

To say a woman has to be bipolar to have sex for fun is ridiculous.

A person's personal preference or difference in comfort levels from your own - does not make them mentally ill.

A person's personal preference or difference in comfort levels from your own - does not make them mentally ill.

Agreed. A totally illogical statement for that poster to have made. I'm not bipolar in the least and I can do it. It's true women are more emotional than men but emotion doesn't hold some women back from when they may physically need.

OP, I recomment not having casual sex just b/c it's convenient. If you are even asking this, it's possible that you are not cut out for it. And that's fine! Don't let yourself feel hurt. Trust yourself and your instinct on this one.

As for me, I've had multiple FWB situations and one nighters. I've only fallen once for one of them and it was when I was younger and more naïve. I gave myself time to get past all of that and grow up a little (not sure how old you are). Then after a while I was able to separate it all.

You won't find many well balanced "good catches" sleeping around with strangers juts to get off..

I read many men actually seek out bi polar women on the net to catch them during their "mania" stage..

Right.

they might not feel it then, but they feel it later.

My step MiL is bipolar, and she tells me this is exactly the case. She could have sex with a guy during a 'downer' period and absolutely give a 5h!t about what it's all about - but the moment she began to 'climb out' it hit her like a juggernaut.

Bi-polar women can't switch off their emotions; neither does this happen to them. The truth truth is more complex: They feel extremes.

Oh, and please tell me where you 'read' these things....

I'd be interested, purely as a point of reference.....:confused::rolleyes::mad:

Perhaps women do not understand how men view this..

A man can have sex, espeically when younger, with a woman he is not attracted to at all. If enough women like this let him, he would do it all the time.. Men even pay crack whores with no teeth for sex..

Some women wait for love, and maybe some women sleep around more, but are still quite picky and are atleast attracted to the guy.

The only women I have ever heard of that sleep with LOTS of men for FUN have had some sort of mental illness. Bi polar, depressed, on drugs, etc.

paddington bear

Interesting question.

I tried to have sex like a man and found, like you that I got emotionally attached even if prior to the sex I knew the guy wasn't right for me, or not long term material.

So, I avoided ONS's because of the horrible low I got afterwards. For me it went in a kind of 3 day cycle. Met guy, think 'this is obviously going to be just casual, I can handle that'. Have sex, feel on top of the world. I am woman, hear me roar kind of thing. And then day 2 and three were a gradual slow decline into misery - even a guy I'm not that into is never going to want to see me again. Why'd I have sex with that guy, I'm never going to see him again.

To me ONS were not worth the emotional depression afterwards.

However, somewhere along the line I got over it. I think it's not just oxytocin, but having somewhat higher self-esteem. Only when I felt like I was grateful that someone had deigned to sleep with me, did I get the come-down and the thinking about them thing. When I felt more confident, that weirdly didn't happen at all. The first time I remember being amazed and thinking 'oh my God! So this is what it feels like for men'.

My lover, or rather, I reckon ex-lover now, I've seen for 6 months and again was amazed at how not attached I got. But...even within that every now and then I questioned my feelings towards him and it still hurt when he'd treat me less than well, and I think part of the being able to disengage is that I'm still trying to get over someone else, so my head and heart are just not available no matter how much sex I have with someone.

In short I think it depends on your own level of confidence and self-worth and on where you are emotionally

Calizaggy, You don't get it:

if the reason they are sleeping around 'for fun' happens to be exacerbated by a mental condition, then there is something wrong with this picture.

they have an agendas, they have a motive, and trust me - you may think it's for fun, but they hate themselves in the morning.

If so, how exactly can this be achieved? Has anyone on this board ever achieved this?

Pretty simply, by having an non-emotional setpoint; basically, feeling the physical pleasure, like when masturbating, but without an emotional component wrt oneself or one's partner.

I knew, within myself, when that happened, it was time to get a divorce. My stbx had been doing it for years. Foolish me.

Tara, ok.. But they are the ones sleeping around the most carefree.

Women will lie on a board like this and pretend they can have casual sex without feeling anything, but they cannot.

And if some are so empty that they really can, this is not much to be proud of..Giving your body to strangers and not caring?

txsilkysmoothe

I cannot have casual sex. I cannot select a man for the sole purpose of sexual gratification ignoring all of the traits I dislike about him.

If I have sex with a man I have already determined in my head that I want more than sex with him. I've already determined that I want to have sex with him more than once. For me, sex is just as much an emotional experience as a sexual one. It's that combination that ignites passion - can't live without passion.

Yes, I feel what you have termed the "emotional downer" if it turns out that for him it was casual. BUT, I wouldn't want to be any other way. I don't want to be capable of casual sex for I feel it would harden and change me; making me unappealing to the type of man I want to attract.

Txsilky seems like a real woman and a good catch.

So if a man does it too, then that makes him less of a 'good catch' then, right? You wouldn't want to put out a double standard, would you?

And BTW - I have had casual sex with someone who i've found physically attractive, just because I was in the mood and wanted to have sex. Did I hate myself for it? No. Because it is human nature to desire sex. Does that make me less of a good catch because i'm able to do that? Hell no.