OK to date an ex's acquaintance?

New Again

An acquaintance I met through my ex once or twice (they were in the same frat in college, this other guy was a couple years behind my ex) sent me a friend request on FB and has asked me out.

He's not good friends with my ex, and any of my ex's friends. I don't want to be "that girl" though.

Should I go out with him or not?

Yeah, sure, why not?

You'd only be 'that girl' if you were lying under your BF and a really close friend of his rang you, mid-"workout" and asked you out, and you said...."Ok, let me just check my diary.....":laugh:

You're fine. No problem.

if anyone will have a problem, it will be your ex. And that's exactly what it will be.

His problem.;)

Stay away from frat boys.

It is totally unscientific of me to advise you in this way (and I realize it too:o) but I've never ever once met one worth any woman's time.

• Author
Stay away from frat boys.

It is totally unscientific of me to advise you in this way (and I realize it too:o) but I've never ever once met one worth any woman's time.

That's actually something that I'm a little wary about myself. I think I might give this guy a chance though - my impression is that the main reason he wasn't/isn't good friends with my ex, despite going to the same college/being frat brothers, is because this guy didn't do the whole drugs/binge drinking/picking up women thing.

Since they aren't really friends, and they don't seem to have any good friends in common, go for it. Although I would also warn against frat boys.

What's wrong with frat boys?? I think we've beat the don't stereotype men or women on this board enough. Just because many of them leave something to be desired while in college, not all of them are like that. That said, I get "OMG you were a SORORITY girl!!??!!" all the time. I break the mold. :) Maybe he does too!

I see no problem with you dating this guy in terms of his remote connection to your ex.

• Author
What's wrong with frat boys?? I think we've beat the don't stereotype men or women on this board enough. Just because many of them leave something to be desired while in college, not all of them are like that. That said, I get "OMG you were a SORORITY girl!!??!!" all the time. I break the mold. :) Maybe he does too!

I see no problem with you dating this guy in terms of his remote connection to your ex.

The only problem with frat guys is that some of the stereotypical frat boys never grow out of that phase.

And some of them have a pretty bad mentality about some things; I don't think it's so much that it's because they're frat boys, as boys with certain characteristics pledge frats, thus becoming frat boys...it makes a lot more sense in my head than it does the way I wrote it...I have a massive sinus headache and can't see straight, let alone think :p

But anyways, it looks like this is an OK situation, which is great, because I'm actually really interested in this guy.

I always said I guys who use FB to ask me out are a turn off (always has been in the past); but I guess this just shows if the girl is interested enough beforehand it really doesn't matter.

This is probably a redundant question that I could find by searching your other threads, but are you in/or near college age?

I think the reputation of the frat on any given campus greatly affects what type of young men it attracts. Sure, some of the "big" men on campus will only pledge one or two, but there were lots of smaller frats at my university who typically only pledged the honors college/geeky nice guys.

My campus was exceptionally greek though, so there was pretty much a home for all types. (Except girls, evil and cut throat!!)

Technology has really put a wild spin on what is appropriate and inappropriate in the dating arena. It weirds me out to be asked out by text, email, etc. but I'm trying to go with it.

Keep us updated!

• Author

I'm in my mid 20s (ex bf was early 30s; new guy is late 20s).

I know that my bf's frat was more the party type, or at least that's what he and his friends made of it.

I called the new guy back, and we're going out next week for dinner. I'm really excited. I only met him a couple times, very briefly, when I was with my bf, but I'm very attracted to this guy! I'm hoping that that doesn't cloud my judgment.