Am I wrong to feel hurt by this?

New_Life08

Hey everyone, I had something happen over the holidays and wonder if I am out of line...just looking for input.

My family usually celebrates Christmas on Christmas Eve. But this year it was postponed due to some family who had to work. Anyway, my bf of 9 months has Christmas with his family Christmas Eve too. (Mom, Dad, brother, etc.). When my family postponed our Christmas, my bf said he asked his mom about my children and I coming to their house with him on Christmas Eve.

She said she didn't have the room for seating. Which kind of shocked me, they have a large farm house and my bf has only one brother who has only 1 child, and my bf has 2 adult kids.

I have 3 kids (9-14). It happened that their dad took them on x-mas eve since our Christmas was postponed (thank god! Because I know they would have asked where bf was and I didn't want to explain why we weren't invited).

So, bf took the gifts we bought for his family and went there for the day. He called to let me know that everyone liked everything and they were having a really great time...which I am glad, don't get me wrong.

Maybe my feelings were hurt because of how my family is. We have strong family values, and if a few stragglers come through the door on Christmas day...hell, we drag out a few more chairs.

I guess I could see it if we were only dating for a few weeks or something but we have been together for 9 months. I have met all of his family, we get along and everything. Anyway, I am offended more where my kids are concerned. Even if I would have been invited after he knew the kids were with their dad, I wouldn't have went.

just a FYI...I do have good kids...a lot of people comment on how well behaved they are. So, I don't think it was an issue of having a bunch of brats around...LOL.

Hey everyone, I had something happen over the holidays and wonder if I am out of line...just looking for input.

My family usually celebrates Christmas on Christmas Eve. But this year it was postponed due to some family who had to work. Anyway, my bf of 9 months has Christmas with his family Christmas Eve too. (Mom, Dad, brother, etc.). When my family postponed our Christmas, my bf said he asked his mom about my children and I coming to their house with him on Christmas Eve.

She said she didn't have the room for seating. Which kind of shocked me, they have a large farm house and my bf has only one brother who has only 1 child, and my bf has 2 adult kids.

I have 3 kids (9-14). It happened that their dad took them on x-mas eve since our Christmas was postponed (thank god! Because I know they would have asked where bf was and I didn't want to explain why we weren't invited).

So, bf took the gifts we bought for his family and went there for the day. He called to let me know that everyone liked everything and they were having a really great time...which I am glad, don't get me wrong.

Maybe my feelings were hurt because of how my family is. We have strong family values, and if a few stragglers come through the door on Christmas day...hell, we drag out a few more chairs.

I guess I could see it if we were only dating for a few weeks or something but we have been together for 9 months. I have met all of his family, we get along and everything. Anyway, I am offended more where my kids are concerned. Even if I would have been invited after he knew the kids were with their dad, I wouldn't have went.

just a FYI...I do have good kids...a lot of people comment on how well behaved they are. So, I don't think it was an issue of having a bunch of brats around...LOL.

How much notice did you give his mum? It's not just a family gathering and it's not just extra chairs - she would probably have to think about extra presents/extra food which cost a lot of money and cause a lot of last minute stress. I'd give his mum the benefit of the doubt in this case, I think it's fair enough.

• Author

There was about 4 days notice. So yeah, it wasn't that much notice. So, that could have been the reason. All families are different, some look at it as added stress, and some look at it differently. Just a difference in ppl.