We're 'friends' now...but he's acting strange

poppy13

This guy and I dated for a while and broke up because we lost that 'spark'. Not that we lost it completely, but it was so hot and cold that it was driving me insane.

We didn't speak for the first few weeks and now we are talking again. No sex, but he still acts affectionate in subtle ways. Like he will touch my lower back or stand over me (almost protectively) in public places. When my friend and I ran into him one night, she mentioned that he kept looking over to make sure where I was the entire time. And then a couple days ago, I didn't respond to one of his messages the other day (inadvertantly) and he acted really offended!

Two weeks of this nonsense and I'm kind of realizing that I can't be friends right now, but not talking to him sucks even more. Anyone with experience in this area?

There's too much between you to just go back to being friends as though you never dated. It may be too soon to try the friend thing, or you may not be able to have just a friendship at all. You can't just turn off the feelings, even though they were hot and cold.

• Author

Yeah. It's a crappy situation because I know the right thing to do is cut off contact, but it's hard. Especially when do have a great time together and he often goes the 'extra steps'. I have lots of close guy friends, but none of them act like that.

Blah. The thought of going back into the dating scene makes me want to vomit :sick:

Two weeks of this nonsense and I'm kind of realizing that I can't be friends right now, but not talking to him sucks even more. Anyone with experience in this area?

I don't care what anyone says...it's very very very hard to go from intimacy to "just friends".

I could not be "just friends" with women I was making out with and having sex with. I found it better to politely cut ties.

I am friends with one ex...but we only talk online and occasionally on the phone.

Don't feel obligated or anything to make a friendship out of a RL that didn't work. Sometimes it's just better to cut ties and move on.