back burner girl

acarls20

Well, I've posted a few times on here.

Here is some back story. I dated a guy I met online about five times. We hooked up and it got weird after that.

We had the conversation about what we wanted (woops a tad late). He wanted friends with benefits. His reason, was that he felt like he hasn't lived. He just wants to get his wild streak out and have some flings. I understood that. I told him I wanted a relationship but I was willing to settle. I told him I wouldn't want to be sleeping with him if he starts with another girl.

We started hanging out and seeing each other often. Maybe 1/3 times we'd see each other we'd sleep together. He put a stopper on sleeping together recently. We now still see each other often. Most the time one on one.

He is often very verbally affectionate. We also have an awkward hug after hanging out every time. Cheek to cheek and long. We talk every single day. I feel like he's keeping me on the back burner for when he's ready to have a relationship. Has anyone else ever had this situation happen?

Hmm...

Well I have done this before. Found myself liking someone enough to want physical affection with them- but not enough to want to be in a relationship with them. At some point guilt takes over, so you cut off the physical stuff and friend-zone them.

I am curious why you would agree to settling for FWB.

He might be more inclined to take you seriously if you told him you weren't interested in settling. It seems like everything you are doing is on his terms. I'd put a stop to that right away.

The bottom line is that a guy that really likes you isn't going to treat you the way this guy is treating you.

• Author

He doesn't treat me badly. He honestly brings up that he wants to have a wild streak almost every time I see him. Like he does feel guilty, like you said, but he seems convinced that he MUST have his wild streak. He's told me that before seeing me, he's had two very long time girlfriends. 4 years plus each.

It seems like he feels that if he commits now he'll never have a chance. I'm now already included with all his friends and he is in mine. Most time we hang out one on one. He seems to enjoy my company even without sex. We tell each other everything.

I'm putting him on the back burner as well. I'm going to continue to pursue other relationships but our friendship is still very strange. He is becoming someone I'm very close to.

I settled with him, because he was a fun bed buddy. I don't really have any better reason than that. And when we were FWB I was doing most the booty calls. LOL.

Edited by acarls20
JustLooking123

Well, at least he told you (and continues to tell you) exactly what he wants/is interested in. There's no confusion about that.

• Author

True, I always wonder if there is even the possibility of it changing in the future.

I think next time he suggests a hookup. I'll say no because I'd want a relationship at this point. He definitely knows who I am now.

And he obviously doesn't just see me for sex. We aren't even doing that anymore. So any of the compliments I'm getting are for honest reasons. I've just been to easily available for him so he can just put me on the damn back burner.