A 50 year old man who has never married?

christys

I met a man who is 50 years old, very good looking, does not look his age at all, has no children. We have lived on the same street for 24 years, and we attended the same high school. He was a senior and I was a freshman. He was very popular, so I knew of him back then, so that is how I knew who he was when he moved onto my street. I went out to a neighborhood bar and he was there. I ended up going to his house. He was very interested in me and I was into him also, but the never being married deal stuck with me, so after doing everything in bed except actual intercourse, I told him I could not do it, and left without exchanging phone numbers or either of us asking if we would see each other again. I asked him why he never married, and he just would say he never met the right woman, so he did'nt say he would never marry. What should I do??? Do I go to his house and talk to him or leave this alone. I know I probably went to far with him, but were both grown. he does not know I live on his street or where I live.

No big deal... he probably never found someone he wanted to commit all his life to ..

If you enjoy yourself.. go for it.. he could be a good FWB.. it depends what YOU want. :)

• Author
I'd have to praise this man, he is sensible, why on earth would anyone get married and why on earth would any man want children, its beyond me. Women are good for a few sex sessions before being thrown out of the door.

I bet his life has been a roaring success, a bachelor life is the perfect life. No responsibilities like a dead end marriage and children.

I did praise him. He seems to be debt free and not into expensive things. I told him I thought he was smart for never marrying, but he did not say he would not ever marry, so I guess he will someday.... I want to go see him, I think I will today.

I did praise him. He seems to be debt free and not into expensive things. I told him I thought he was smart for never marrying, but he did not say he would not ever marry, so I guess he will someday.... I want to go see him, I think I will today.

yeah give him a shot. At some point you will find out why he hasnt committed to anyone, but if h's like me, he is terrified of falling for someone, and then you find out too late that they have flaws that you cant help fix, which leads to a messy and expensive divorce. Stick with him, he might even divulge his dating history and you'll find out why he was never married. Doesnt mean he wasnt in a relationship for 10 or 15 years at some time.

Or he could be completely impotent.....:o

i'm a man hits 40 and has never married then he probably never will. this dude is ten years past that limit.

Not necessarily, but a possibility.

Just because he isn't married doesn't mean he can't be in a committed relationship.

Although, some men are meant to be bachelors!

I'm kinda jealous of him for pulling this off. I'll probably succumb given the absence of any other major distractions or milestones in my life. I betcha he's better dressed and healthier than many of his married (or divorced) buddies.

the lucky ba*tard... he's good looking, well off.. can have any women he wants..

you know.. time flies.. he could have been busy with a career.. travelling.. who knows.. didn't have much time to date.. etc.. time goes fast.. he got used to his bachelor's life.. never found the right woman..

After a while... especially at his age... it's very hard to compromise..

To be honest, I doubt he will ever settle down...

He's probably a hard core bachelor... enjoying life.. I can't blame him.

If you fine with this.. enjoy yourself as well.. they make the best f* friends ever... :bunny:

• Author
George Clooney comes to mind.

Will that guy ever settle down??

He actually resembles George Clooney. He did tell me he works all the time, and the women that he has had in his life did not like that. Hde also said he wants to retire somewhere in his 50's. He is a self-employed contractor.

He actually resembles George Clooney. He did tell me he works all the time, and the women that he has had in his life did not like that. Hde also said he wants to retire somewhere in his 50's. He is a self-employed contractor.

That's what I thought.. Some guys never even date seriously cause they know that due to their 'job' or profession.. they will not keep a woman...

He never found the one, smart man. That answer in itself would make him more desirable in my eyes because it means he wasn't and isn't willing to settle for just anyone to keep the other side of the bed warm at night. Some people find love at 20 others at 50. So I'd give him a chance.

splintered thing

It's funny. I only hear this kind of question from women, never from men. I've even known several women who have insisted that any guy who isn't already in a relationship must have something terribly wrong with him and, consequently, can't be worth dating.

Who knows? Maybe he can't commit...or maybe it'll turn out that he was just waiting for you all these years. At least if things do work out, you've got the advantage that you probably won't get constantly compared to his ex. (And just think of all the baggage from past marriages going sour that he won't have!)

Is there something wrong with him? No, probably not. Is he marriage material? No, probably not.

Why would you want to stop by his house and talk to him? You had one session in the sack- not sure what there is to talk about. Show up at the bar again and see if he approaches you. Don't go seeking him out!

There is nothing wrong with a guy that never wants to get involved in a serious relationship. But, a smart person that wants something serious won't pursue a guy with this kind of history.

Life isn't a hollywood movie where true love can melt the heart of the most hard core commitment phobe. My bet is that he's good for a few romps, but don't get your hopes up that he'll divert from his life long pattern to ease into a life long relationship.

Don't go talk to him- a man like him is probably accustomed to being pursued. The one thing that will catch him off guard is someone that does the opposite of what he is used to. Try playing that card.

• Author
Is there something wrong with him? No, probably not. Is he marriage material? No, probably not.

Why would you want to stop by his house and talk to him? You had one session in the sack- not sure what there is to talk about. Show up at the bar again and see if he approaches you. Don't go seeking him out!

There is nothing wrong with a guy that never wants to get involved in a serious relationship. But, a smart person that wants something serious won't pursue a guy with this kind of history.

Life isn't a hollywood movie where true love can melt the heart of the most hard core commitment phobe. My bet is that he's good for a few romps, but don't get your hopes up that he'll divert from his life long pattern to ease into a life long relationship.

Don't go talk to him- a man like him is probably accustomed to being pursued. The one thing that will catch him off guard is someone that does the opposite of what he is used to. Try playing that card.

I think that is my solution...NOT go talk to him...I will see him around without going out of my way...someday..and for sure, I am positive women pursue him to the hilt...That is exactly what i thought about him, so I will just sit back and see what happens. Thanks for bringing me to reality.

I think that is my solution...NOT go talk to him...I will see him around without going out of my way...someday..and for sure, I am positive women pursue him to the hilt...That is exactly what i thought about him, so I will just sit back and see what happens. Thanks for bringing me to reality.

I'm telling you, I have learned the hard way. I used to chase guys I liked because I believed I had to parade myself in front of them to get their attention. I realize now, that not making myself available works so much better.

If a guy wants to be with you- he'll find his way to you....

It's not that there is something wrong with him if he hasn't gotten married by the age of 50. It's more about him not being right for YOU if you do want a meaningful relationship.

If we face the facts in this situation- his love track record is bleak. It's not about some extraordinary woman coming into his life and changing everything. Commitment phobe's often cite that they just haven't met the right woman. This is about him just being who he is for whatever reason.

SincereOnlineGuy
I met a man who is 50 years old, very good looking, does not look his age at all, has no children. We have lived on the same street for 24 years, and we attended the same high school. He was a senior and I was a freshman. He was very popular, so I knew of him back then, so that is how I knew who he was when he moved onto my street. I went out to a neighborhood bar and he was there. I ended up going to his house. He was very interested in me and I was into him also, but the never being married deal stuck with me, so after doing everything in bed except actual intercourse, I told him I could not do it, and left without exchanging phone numbers or either of us asking if we would see each other again. I asked him why he never married, and he just would say he never met the right woman, so he did'nt say he would never marry. What should I do??? Do I go to his house and talk to him or leave this alone. I know I probably went to far with him, but were both grown. he does not know I live on his street or where I live.

Don't you dare write him off or reduce your expectations of him based on the fact that he has never married!!!!!!

In fact, the long-ago familiarity could provide exciting sparks that others your age just don't get to enjoy.

In closing, I think you should go to his house and talk to him... because you are "grown". If you want an ice-breaker, fess-up to living on his street and let the conversation evolve.