Ignorance is bliss or knowledge is power?

Hkizzle

So the other night a female friend of mine that's rather naive or idealistic came to me. Her ex boyfriend that's been married for a year has been hitting on her. She wanted to know why he was doing what he was doing, because she still had some feelings and it was confusing her.

I told her some men just like the best of both worlds. It's like bread and chocolate. You eat bread almost everyday but it gets boring, so once in a while if chocolate is presented it's too tempting to miss. But you can't eat chocolate everyday, so you stick with the bread, and sneak in some chocolate from time to time.

That was the best analogy I could come up with to explain the psychology of a cheating married man.

I then explained to her because she asked......the psychology behind different types of jerks, abusive men, players, commitmentphobes, narcissists, and cheaters.

At the end of it all she said "what the hell is wrong with men, why are they so bad?"

We're not bad, there are good guys out there, but I think in one night I shocked her reality of the world.

So, you reckon we should teach young girls the truth about men, or keep them in ignorant bliss and let them find out the hard way?

So, you reckon we should teach young girls the truth about men, or keep them in ignorant bliss and let them find out the hard way?

Oooh, I reckon we should teach them, lol. Seriously tho, sometimes i wish i had known things about men instead of being juggled around. Plus when you actually do get to the point where you realize love isn't all fairytales and happy endings it can be pretty depressing... =\

• Author
Plus when you actually do get to the point where you realize love isn't all fairytales and happy endings it can be pretty depressing... =\

That's the point I'm getting at. It isn't as simple as finding out santa doesn't exist, lol, Jaytb.

The funny thing is, when I tell a lot of women these things at the beginning, unless they are naturally street smart, they don't even want to hear it. If they are not street smart they need to be stung multiple times to get the point.

Prince charming doesn't fall on a girl's lap, he falls far far away and most girls have to wade through a quadmire of jerks to get to him.

That's the point I'm getting at. It isn't as simple as finding out santa doesn't exist, lol, Jaytb.

The funny thing is, when I tell a lot of women these things at the beginning, unless they are naturally street smart, they don't even want to hear it. If they are not street smart they need to be stung multiple times to get the point.

Prince charming doesn't fall on a girl's lap, he falls far far away and most girls have to wade through a quadmire of jerks to get to him.

I guess you learned that even if they know the truth, they want to bet on the odds, and the odds are not in their favor. I'd bet they are delusional in other ways as well. (well I don't want to bet the odds either. :))

I guess you learned that even if they know the truth, they want to bet on the odds, and the odds are not in their favor. I'd bet they are delusional in other ways as well. (well I don't want to bet the odds either. :))

I'll admit that is true, most people will try even tho you've told them countless times ("Mother's always right"). I still think they should be told tho, atleast this way they aren't totally ignorant of the facts and whatever they decide to pursue is something they decided on their own.

deux ex machina

We're not bad, there are good guys out there, but I think in one night I shocked her reality of the world.

Keep them in ignorant bliss.

Let 'em find out the hard way, on the merciless streets - through a veil of smiles and tears - just like the rest of us. ;)

Better yet? Let Hollywood and Madison Avenue continue to teach them all about how love and relationships should go.

That'll work!

Men are idiots. They should not be involved in the socialization of young women. It's a two-headed devil. One is he gives her everything she wants from a coy smile and a bat of the eyelash, and, two, she thinks all men are like daddy and, of course, daddy is perfect, even if he's a lying, cheating womanizer.

Induced coma through puberty would be my preference ;)

Next question... :)

LucreziaBorgia

Not everyone gets a 'happily ever after' as much as people like to say 'one day you'll find someone who you will fall in love with and will make you happy'. There needs to be a balance. On one hand, you can't have everyone thinking that one day they will meet their Prince and live happily ever after, but you can't have everyone being cynical and bitter about it either.

I say ... some bliss with a healthy dose of knowledge thrown in.

Aim realistically, knowing that you may not hit the target so to speak.

Untouchable_Fire

Actually, I think it would be more beneficial to teach boys how to be men again.

Also... These pickup artists are teaching young guys about meeting women, but are totally failing to teach them how to be in a relationship.

Also... These pickup artists are teaching young guys about meeting women, but are totally failing to teach them how to be in a relationship.

The relationship stuff is easy but it doesn't do any good if you are bad at attracting women.

Funny how one persons truth can be another persons pessimism. Normal well adjusted people are quite easy to surround yourself with. It sounds like you have it the other way around, which makes me think your form of reality is based on one you've constructed which involves seeking out a limited circle of acquaintances that who fit what you've described. You appear to have infected a woman with your jaded outlook too. I'm not sure you should be back slapping yourself.