What are the natural differences if any between men and women?

Hkizzle

I found it interesting on the "Do women think about sex as much as men?" thread, the number of people that say women think about sex the same amount if not more than men.

I find that when discussing male and female behavior, that almost all the people I talk to from around the world agree there are natural differences in male and female thinking regarding sex and relationship.

In fact all you need to do is switch on the discovery channel and you'll realize there's differences between male and female behavior in most animal species, and they aren't taught that difference.

America seems to be the only place where I find a lot of people think men and women are the same at birth, and the reason they are different is because society conditions them that way. It's also a theory pushed heavily by the sociology camp and by some psychologists, but other psychologists and biologists would definitely disagree. I think a large part for this theory is because of past history, there's a fear of coming off as discriminating and to say men and women are different is seen as politically incorrect.

Which I find strange because to say different doesn't mean one is better or worse. It just means different.

What are your thoughts? What are the natural differences between men and women if any? In fact why is it the US is the only place I sense where there's this huge deal over the men vs women struggle going on?

• Author

lol, I find it interesting that no one responded to this post. Is it such a sensitive issue that many people are afraid to discuss whether men and women are different?

No, it's just that it's been discussed so many times in various ways, it's 'same-old, same-old'....

Differences exist.

Similarities exist.

people from different cultures have different similarities/differences.

generalising is usually not productive.

That's it really.

LucreziaBorgia

Its in the biochemistry, the hormones, and the genes. The 'nurture' crowd was and is way off. You cannot 'socialize' a biological male or female to be the opposite gender. That case in the 70's where a baby boy lost his penis to a botched circumcision. He was 'gender reassigned' and was raised as a 'girl' only to struggle with it his entire life and eventually commit suicide.

Nature brands us 'male' and 'female' and those brands are different and indelible.

This debate has been raging on amongst evolutionary biologists/sociologists/psychologists for a long long time.

There is an interesting debate that happened 4 years ago between Behavioural Psychologists Steven Pinker and Elizabeth Spelke on the "Science of Gender and Science" which you can find online on the entire Nature/Nurture idealogy. (I think you are not allowed to post links on here right?)

IF you have time, check it out on google.

SpanksTheMonkey
What are the natural differences between men and women if any?QUOTE]

Men have a pee-pee women have a pussey-cat! :D

America seems to be the only place where I find a lot of people think men and women are the same at birth, and the reason they are different is because society conditions them that way.

What other cultures have you experience and/or are familiar with?

The founding fathers explicitly stated that "All men are created equal"... The idea is to treat everyone the same, regardless of gender, race, etc. under the law. However, dating is not a legal exercise.

No, it's just that it's been discussed so many times in various ways, it's 'same-old, same-old'....

Differences exist.

Similarities exist.

people from different cultures have different similarities/differences.

generalising is usually not productive.

That's it really.

Amen, Amen! This horse has been beaten to death here on LS. It's really the same old "Do women want sex as much as men" argument and here we go again. YES WE DO! We have just been conditioned not to show it or talk about it but thank God things are a changin.

BobSacamento

Naturally women have weaker upper body strength. They make up for it with lower center of gravities and lower body strength. AKA Thunder thighs.

• Author
What other cultures have you experience and/or are familiar with?

The founding fathers explicitly stated that "All men are created equal"... The idea is to treat everyone the same, regardless of gender, race, etc. under the law. However, dating is not a legal exercise.

I have an English father and Chinese mother, and I have many European friends. I also travelled around the US and have many American friends. Hence I understand American, European and Asian cultures extensively. I wouldn't say the same for South American, African or Islamic cutlures.

This board is however predominately dominated by American thinking, and there are some Europeans here as well (Mainly BRitish).

• Author
Its in the biochemistry, the hormones, and the genes. The 'nurture' crowd was and is way off. You cannot 'socialize' a biological male or female to be the opposite gender. That case in the 70's where a baby boy lost his penis to a botched circumcision. He was 'gender reassigned' and was raised as a 'girl' only to struggle with it his entire life and eventually commit suicide.

Nature brands us 'male' and 'female' and those brands are different and indelible.

Well explained. Although the way the thinking is on this board, and how a lot of women seem to try and approach relationship like a sterotypical man, I argue that social conditioning can AUGMENT nature.

However it's the opposite of what many politically correct people think. Society doesn't try and make the sexes more different (unless you're talking about an extreme society like Taliban held Afghanistan). In the case of politically correct America society has tried to make men and women more silimar. and partially succeded.

LucreziaBorgia

I don't know if a woman 'dating like a man' augments nature so much as it reinforces the differences in often emotionally devastating ways. I wonder how many women who 'date like men' can say they are fundamentally happy at the core.

Here we go again, divisionary thoughts. Yes, there are differences between genders but most aren't significant enough to warrant a difference in how the workplace treats them. The best person for the job.

Now from a dating perspective, there are women who can compartmentalize and others who can't. It makes sense to know yourself and understand and accept who you are, which is a combination of nature and nurture.

Also, nurture has a great effect on anyone. To automatically state that there's a dividing line between men and women makes less sense than to gauge by individual. Say a man treats a woman like every other woman he's ever successfully dated. Say his treatment doesn't mesh with how nurture has shaped her. Does this mean that she's wrong in not finding him attractive, since he's using supposedly "scientifically based" methodologies?

This is why I have such a problem with cookie cutter generalized gender beliefs. :rolleyes:

• Author
Here we go again, divisionary thoughts. Yes, there are differences between genders but most aren't significant enough to warrant a difference in how the workplace treats them. The best person for the job.

Wasn't talking about the workplace. It's very important there's no discrimination at work

Also, nurture has a great effect on anyone. To automatically state that there's a dividing line between men and women makes less sense than to gauge by individual.

True, the difference in genes between individuals of the same race is way bigger than the differences between races. That's how much variation there is between individuals.

Of course I am generalizing. My point was simply that to say men and women are naturally the same is not true.

If I was to say men are taller than women, no one would challenge that statement. Yet there are tall women taller than short men. In the same way although there are overlapping behaviors, there are differences in the range and average behaviors of the sexes with regards to relationships.

Well explained. Although the way the thinking is on this board, and how a lot of women seem to try and approach relationship like a sterotypical man, I argue that social conditioning can AUGMENT nature.

However it's the opposite of what many politically correct people think. Society doesn't try and make the sexes more different (unless you're talking about an extreme society like Taliban held Afghanistan). In the case of politically correct America society has tried to make men and women more silimar. and partially succeded.

Why are you so overly concerned with what Americans do versus other cultures and how does this relate to your book? Is your book for American men only?

Why are you so overly concerned with what Americans do versus other cultures and how does this relate to your book? Is your book for American men only?

I get the sense that he feels how things happen in his region of Asia is biologically natural compared to elsewhere. Somehow because it is common for men to cheat and not feel guilty in his culture it indicates this is how men naturally should be. That women in his culture look the other way so long as they're monetarily provided for, it is natural for women to be this way. That men bond with friends by buying prostitutes together in his culture means it is a natural way for men to bond.....

I remember after I moved from the mid west US, how odd it was to realize other people didn't know the card game Euchre. How unnatural! :rolleyes: Now that I live in the DC metro area I've decided its normal to have so many presidential monuments and national museums. :p

• Author

No, my book is for American women. It's important to know what the target audience wants because if you say something that's politically incorrect then it will get shot down, so I'm seeing what the limits are.

I was reading "Act like a lady, think like a man" by Stever Harvey and I guess most women can accept that men and women think differently. Just don't bring up whether it's biological or not.

Sally4sara understands where I am coming from, although she isn't convinced I'm right.

Human Beings are just smart apes, without the right values and morality they are very selfish and brutal. Over here in Asia there just isn't the same moral value regarding the importance of fidelity, and as a result more people stray.

The whole point of morality is to teach humans to control their animal nature.

In my opinion, men and women are just opposites. Men have high level of testosterone which gives them high libido, aggression, desire to compete. Men think about sex a lot. As a generalization, men score by getting laid with a new female.

As for females, they have high level estrogen which gives them low libido coupled with desire to have the only one man and kids. Females think about men a lot, but it is mostly not about sex. It is more about feelings. As a generalization, females score by getting married with kids. But to get there they have to have sex with a man and make a man fall in love with them.

Men and women do not think this way consciously. All of the above works unconsciously. Man's sexual drive and female's desire to have kids are basic instincts which give humans drive to live.

Women and men are the same, but different. For example, there's this notion that women get more emotional than men do, which isn't necessarily true; we men get emotional. We just show emotion differently. Women tend to cry and express soft emotions more than men do; men of course are more likely to explode into anger and fits of rage than women. Of course we know that men sometimes cry and women sometimes fly off the handle -- but more often than not, individuals of both genders tend to live up to the stereotypes. That's the way it is in my experience anyway.

In my opinion, men and women are just opposites. Men have high level of testosterone which gives them high libido, aggression, desire to compete. Men think about sex a lot. As a generalization, men score by getting laid with a new female.

As for females, they have high level estrogen which gives them low libido coupled with desire to have the only one man and kids. Females think about men a lot, but it is mostly not about sex. It is more about feelings. As a generalization, females score by getting married with kids. But to get there they have to have sex with a man and make a man fall in love with them.

Men and women do not think this way consciously. All of the above works unconsciously. Man's sexual drive and female's desire to have kids are basic instincts which give humans drive to live.

So how do you explain the women (these days) who don't wish to have children but want to have a loving relationship that includes good sex?

I get the sense that he feels how things happen in his region of Asia is biologically natural compared to elsewhere. Somehow because it is common for men to cheat and not feel guilty in his culture it indicates this is how men naturally should be. That women in his culture look the other way so long as they're monetarily provided for, it is natural for women to be this way. That men bond with friends by buying prostitutes together in his culture means it is a natural way for men to bond.....

If this is true then OP needs to write a book for Asian women not American women.:laugh: But in all honesty the same thing happens here in America. If women are married to wealthy men they tend to look the other way when they know he is cheating. They will put up with anything to have wealth and position. This is certainly nothing new and has been going on for centuries and always will until women learn to make their own money and stop looking to men for financial support.

butcher's hook

Men think about sex far more than women do, it is scientifically proven. I really wish all those with the "we are just as sexually inclined" line, would shut it already. No we are not. Not by a long shot.

I don't see why women try so hard to be just like guys, no offense guys, but I don't see what is so special about being a guy. Being a woman suits me just fine even if it means I have to think about sex 5 times a day as opposed to 24x60 times a day.:laugh: