David DeAngelo "Double Your Dating" anyone bought it?????

GrayClouds

DD's treatment is too intellectual in presentation, but without enough real material to support it. He mainly condenses and summarizes findings from evolutinary psychology books. His background is in real state, and apparently he wasn't too successful at that either.

I'd recommend mystery's book "The Venusian Arts" instead.

Its a good reference, like anything else, but its pretty short and really only 'touches' on many key points. It is a useful book, and if you can find it used, I recomend it. I got it on Amazon, I dont know what it goes for used.

If you can stand listening to anything that toolbag has to say for longer than 10 minutes, by all means, but he rubs me the wrong way.

I've said it once here, I'm going to say it again.

David DeAngelo's material and DeAngelo in general is a HACK. What he teaches men in his books (and I've read them) are band-aids that do not fix the root cause of the problem: "Low self-esteem/Confidence." DeAngelo is an un-educated guy who makes his living feeding off the deepest desires of men - sex. And his method to help men get it are "one liners" and the appearance of confidence with nothing substantial to back it up. Waste of time/money.

This is why I prefer to recommend to men "No More Mr Nice Guy" (Glover). Dr. Glover is a board certified Psychologist who has suffered through the "Door mat" nice guy syndrome (which is what most insecure men who can't talk to or meet women suffer from). His book gives proven exercises and methods for slowly bringing men back up to "acceptable" levels of confidence and self-esteem. It teaches them how to BE men (not just act like them). For $10.00 on Amazon, it's a much, much better investment than DeAngelo's tripe.

If you really want to make women laugh, after you read NMMNG, buy a book on comedy and put scam artist like DeAngelo out of business.

Side note: The crap DeAngelo teaches? A confident, secure woman (the kind you want) is not going to fall for that crap.

I have read his material - it's nothing groundbreaking or even special secrets, it's just about being confident and learning the word "next".

DD's treatment is too intellectual in presentation, but without enough real material to support it. He mainly condenses and summarizes findings from evolutinary psychology books. His background is in real state, and apparently he wasn't too successful at that either.

Omg, I struggled through Venusian arts so much, someone's got to teach Mystery how to write without sending someone to sleep.

I both agree and disagree with Caliguy.

I would recommend PUA stuff to men with zero idea of what to do with women, just so they get an idea of what works.

HOWEVER, where I agree with him is that it's not a long term solution and they really need to boost their inner confidence.

I got a personal question for Caliguy. You seem to have a look of values and views spot on. Are you married and if not, why not? (I;m not gay.......)

I haven't read any of DeAngelo's material, but I concur with CaliGuy on Dr Glover's No More Mr Nice Guy.

It's not a dating book per se, it's about re-invigorating what it means to be a man. Decades of female-centric education, rampant misandry and other social and cultural influences have muddied the waters about masculinity. Glover's book is a refreshing splash of color that's sorely needed.

A few other books you might want to consider. Again, these aren't dating books, they're more an examination of positive masculinity in an increasingly feminized world:

• What I Meant To Say: The Private Lives of Men by Ian Brown
  • Iron John by Robert Bly
  • Self-Made Man by Norah Vincent (give a copy of this to every woman in your life)
  • Spreading Misandry and Legalizing Misandry by Nathanson and Young. A follow-up volume, Sanctifying Misandry, will be available January 1, 2010.

Check your local library so you don't have to drop $40 per book.

If you have to buy a book to find women, you've got a problem. There's somebody out there for everybody and if you're so far gone you can't approach them naturally, as yourself, you may as well pack it up.

If you have to buy a book to find women, you've got a problem. There's somebody out there for everybody and if you're so far gone you can't approach them naturally, as yourself, you may as well pack it up.

Not everyone is has the advantage of being well-educated in the methods that are considered attractive while approaching "naturally, as himself". If the OP isn't able to learn skills he seeks on his own, why shouldn't he seek an instructor or instructional media?

Some people do pack it up. You here of that guy that shot up the gym?

Some people have intense phobias of approaching women and have no idea how.

If the OP isn't able to learn skills he seeks on his own, why shouldn't he seek an instructor or instructional media?

For the same reason that you just mentioned.. because he wasn't able to learn them on his own.

You can't learn anything from a book that living life and experiencing dating gives you..

The best way to learn about dating and what works is go out and try it.. then alter what you just tried.. do it again until you get it right..

When I was single I had tons of game.. never had any trouble pulling women and all my game came from trial and error and tons of time, when I started dating I had no game, just like someone buying these books and by the time I quit dating 25 years had passed and I had tons of game..

It takes years to get your game right and you cannot learn it from reading a few pages of some book someone wants you to spend your money on.

JMO...

lol - man that comment is so simple and powerful that it made me laugh

I agree about reading a book, going out and finding something you're interested in which helps you interact with people is infinitely more beneficial than a book.

AC,

That's fine for a normal guy. But these guys get so scared when they approach a woman they freeze up. They have tried approaching women, but they have almost a phobia.

Can you imagine trying to chat up a big friggin dog if you're scared of dogs? Similar anxiety even if cause is different.

To make it worse, because they fail, each failure makes them even more scared. It's like Pavlov's dog, you punish a guy each time he tries something and after a while he gets scared to do it.

I got a personal question for Caliguy. You seem to have a look of values and views spot on. Are you married and if not, why not? (I;m not gay.......)

I have had in the past a sore spot for "broken" women (meaning I felt sorry for them and wanted to help "fix" them). Consequently this got me attached to broken women :)

Since getting my act together, I'm finding much more success at dating (mostly due to NMMNG) and the simple fact that my confidence has returned (and then some).

I'm not married not because I haven't found the right one yet (and I guess to some degree, I'm more picky now than I was 10 years ago). But even at my age (40), I have high hopes. Plus, my dating pool is larger than it's ever been :)

You can't learn anything from a book that living life and experiencing dating gives you.
I don't think anyone's suggesting that to become a dating master you sit at home and leaf through books. Certainly, you have to practice. But why re-invent the wheel? Why not use the experience of others to guide you as you get started?

Let me give you an example.

Before I got my motorcycle license, I pored through pretty much every book on motorcycling I could find, from "how-to" manuals to involved and detailed travelogues.

So when it came time to actually straddle the machine, at least I had a theoretical background of what I was getting into.

And guess what? My instructors said I was "a natural." The course was relatively easy (for me, anyway... about 40% of the students didn't make the cut) and I passed my test with a perfect score.

Would I have been able to do that without that theoretical background? Well, it's impossible to say, but I can tell you that going through those books and videos certainly didn't do any harm.

And so it is with dating. Get the theoretical and foundational instruction, benefit from the experience of others, then go out and practice.

I don't think anyone's suggesting that to become a dating master you sit at home and leaf through books.

Actually Thaddeus the people buying these books up by the hoards do expect to become a dating master by reading them, and when they don't they get pissed and buy another one.. and another one..

The people who buy these books are either guys who can't get over the hump of dating for whatever reason or they are the kind that want it now and don't want to have to learn the old fashioned way..

It takes years to get your game right and you cannot learn it from reading a few pages of some book someone wants you to spend your money on.

So true. People always look for the fast solution rather than spending time learning it yourself. He is just a hustler and preys on shy, horny guys.

So true. People always look for the fast solution rather than spending time learning it yourself. He is just a hustler and preys on shy, horny guys.

Exactly, Yamaha. I'm not knocking his advice where he says "At some point you have to get over your fear and just TALK to them." In that respect, he's absolutely right.

But having pick up lines doesn't really help a guy's confidence. In fact, I think it hurts it more because instead of being himself, he will come off as a classic "player" which will turn women off. This is exactly the opposite of what he's trying to accomplish.

Just be your frikken self and be confident in who you are. If she doesn't like you, WHO CARES?! There are billions of women out there. The odds of more than one being compatible with you, regardless of your "game" is pretty good.

Self Respect > Bullcrap lines.

Yeah...

When I was 9/10 years old I bought a pair of sunglasses that were supposed to allow me to see a woman naked right thru her clothes...

Guess what ?.. they didn't work.. and that ad in Mad Magazine said it would :laugh:

I'm not defending hustling or preying on people, but not everyone ends up learning these skills despite putting in time and practice. Why shouldn't someone seek out mentors if any exist?

Just be your frikken self and be confident in who you are. If she doesn't like you, WHO CARES?! There are billions of women out there.

I'm sensing a bit of an exaggeration here. Do most men get direct access to billions of women through daily life in their range of operations? Are all of said billions, should they all be physically accessible, of interest to the given man?

I'm sensing a bit of an exaggeration here. Do most men get direct access to billions of women through daily life in their range of operations? Are all of said billions, should they all be physically accessible, of interest to the given man?

I think alphamale said it best in another thread, "Most women are not interested in most men". Remember that in each generation, 50% of men will not pass on their genes... The inevitable conclusion is that the above average men (top 50% by definition) will each have had two women. And this happens in each generation! The George Sordini's of the world are great and numerous. I guess they keep the prostitutes in business.

I think alphamale said it best in another thread, "Most women are not interested in most men". Remember that in each generation, 50% of men will not pass on their genes...

Whilst I agree with you, where you get 50% from? Can't be that high. Monogamy allows a much higher % of men to pass on their genes. Even a real loser can find a woman that's around the same level.

Whilst I agree with you, where you get 50% from? Can't be that high. Monogamy allows a much higher % of men to pass on their genes. Even a real loser can find a woman that's around the same level.

Go to any university and talk to an anthropologist, evolutionary psychologist, or theoretical biologist. 98% of men eventually get married at some point in their lives, but a full 50% will not get to pass on their genes (in each generation). Some of those men raising children who are not theirs. DNA results prove this. The professors mentioned earlier can give you the exact references for the journal papers.

The loser man can find a loser woman around his level, and perhaps even marry her, and have sex with her on a frequent basis. But that doesn't mean that the kid he is raising is necessarily his biological progeny.

Go to any university and talk to an anthropologist, evolutionary psychologist, or theoretical biologist. 98% of men eventually get married at some point in their lives, but a full 50% will not get to pass on their genes (in each generation). Some of those men raising children who are not theirs. DNA results prove this. The professors mentioned earlier can give you the exact references for the journal papers.

The loser man can find a loser woman around his level, and perhaps even marry her, and have sex with her on a frequent basis. But that doesn't mean that the kid he is raising is necessarily his biological progeny.

Hmm, interesting, I didn't realize it was that high.

In The Red Queen there was a reference to a study in a public housing estate in the UK where 40% of the kids did not belong to the fathers. I didn't expect the results to be applicable across all socioeconomic groups in society though.

I still don't think it's as high as 50% though, I think it's just that the relative amount of genes past on is less.

For example, my mum remarried and I have a stepbrother, so my stepdad brought me up and only had 1 child of his own. My real dad however had another child in his second marriage, so he's got twice the number of offspring as my stepdad.

Judging from the fact that my real dad cheated and that's why my mum left him, and from his personality type, he's a bad boy type.

Guess that bodes well for me, I'm more likely to pass on my genes, haha

Personaly for me reading the novel "The Game" was entertaining and gave me a taste of the dating book world. In the end unless your reading the book for entertainment it won't do much. The key to women is confidence, so obviously liquid confidence works... problem is women are repulsed by drunkeness... so figure a way to be the confident version of yourself without being drunk and you've done it... no book needed. For me going to the gym and focusing on my career helped me become more confident and I started doing well with the ladies after that