Just a peck - not a kiss. What does that mean?

ilovedp

Can I get advice on someone's behavior? I've just started to date this guy who seems sweet. He's 28. We had drinks at bars twice, both times we had fun and we kept them going by grabbing something to eat afterward somewhere else. We text each other a lot. He invited me to hang out at his his house last week. When I left we had our first kiss. It was just 2 small kisses, and i gave him 2 hugs. I thought he liked me because after that night he still texted me and we'd volley texts all day long.

Yesterday he invited me over again. Once again we just sat next to each other on the couch watching movies. He still didn't talk to me a lot after the movie so I said I'd leave. He then talked to me when I was at the door. He did say sorry that he wasn't entertaining, that he had a hangover earlier in the day and it was a down day for him. He gave me another kiss but it was just one little peck! It was obvious he didn't want to give me another kiss. So I gave him a little hug and left. What's the deal?! Do I assume he's kinda interested but just not enough? I had mentioned I learned how to swim in the middle of the night and there were a couple of guys there. I wonder if that affected him at all?

I thought if a guy liked me he'd give me a real kiss. What's your guess? Thanks for any input!

LucreziaBorgia

If he had a hangover, is it possible he was puking earlier and just didn't want to kiss? Its a stretch... but anything is possible. Of course, he could just be backing out in general. That is the sort of thing that only becomes clear with some more time and action (or inaction).

If he's inviting you back (to his house, with no easy escape plan), he likes you.

If he's coming out of a long term relationship, has been hurt lately, or just shy in general he could be waiting for you to make the first move. Or maybe he's waiting for some kind of signal that it's okay to kiss/take things further with you. Signals can be pretty tough for guys sometimes. Personally, I don't know what the heck stuff means with women, I just guess. He might be the same.

If he was hungover, he could have been feeling a lot worse than he let on. In the back of his mind, he probably didnt want to get physical at all, but did the best he could. I dont think most people like the idea of kissing some one new when there stomach is shaky, and he could have puked at some point in the AM and just not felt right about it.

If he's inviting you back (to his house, with no easy escape plan), he likes you.

I tend to agree. I would never invite a girl over to watch a movie if I didnt like them, and would have NO problem coming up with an excuse for them to leave if I wanted them to.

Sounds to me like this guy might be a tad shy, and was probably feeling like 10 pounds of garbage in a 5 pound bag when you saw him. Like someone else mentioned, see what happens next, but I dont really see any red flags here.

• Author

Thanks so much for the advice, everyone! the problem is - he called me at 1pm to invite me over. I didn't get there until 6pm. I left a little after 10pm, so the hangover was totally gone by the time I was at the door ready to leave.

He didn't text me at all today. I just texted him "Sweet dreams, cutie pie!" All he texted back was: "Lol. thanks. You too." I'm thinking I got my answer. Something happened so he's not interested anymore? Sigh what a shame. I was just starting to really like him.

the problem is - he called me at 1pm to invite me over. I didn't get there until 6pm. I left a little after 10pm, so the hangover was totally gone by the time I was at the door ready to leave.

I didnt realize that. You are right then, he should have been fine by then.

I just texted him "Sweet dreams, cutie pie!" All he texted back was: "Lol. thanks. You too."

Ouch. Lol? What is that about.

Something happened so he's not interested anymore? Sigh what a shame. I was just starting to really like him.

Aww, sorry. I was hopeful for you, but his loss. There are plenty more guys out there.

Yeah it sounds like he's just not that into you for some reason. Then with the reply to your text I think that makes it pretty obvious. I'd say consider him a memory but who knows maybe he has something going on, but he'll have to be the one to make the next move.

Thanks so much for the advice, everyone! the problem is - he called me at 1pm to invite me over. I didn't get there until 6pm. I left a little after 10pm, so the hangover was totally gone by the time I was at the door ready to leave.

He didn't text me at all today. I just texted him "Sweet dreams, cutie pie!" All he texted back was: "Lol. thanks. You too." I'm thinking I got my answer. Something happened so he's not interested anymore? Sigh what a shame. I was just starting to really like him.

It sounds like he's inexperienced. Do you know if he has had previous relationships?