Why am I so short-tempered with my boyfriend?

xosweetgrli08xo

xosweetgrli08xo

Okay, for the most part, I tend to be short-tempered with my boyfriend. But the past couple of months, I've been easily angered and annoyed.

We have been dating around a year and a half, and I'm still pretty young.

I love my boyfriend so much and I can't imagine losing him, but I get so annoyed by him. I don't know why! We get along great, we like the same things, same foods... We have the same sense of humor and even very similar personalities.

I don't know what's wrong with me. Could it be because I'm on birth control? Or maybe the mix of that and Fluoxetine (generic of Prozac)?

Or am I just being selfish? I don't want to lose him. I know he loves me, but I don't know how to stop blowing up on him, and everyone else for that matter. I never used to be like this, I used to barely ever get mad about anything.

Advice???

Try stopping or changing your birth control for a while. When did you start the birth control? Did it coincide with your short-tempered phase?

Given the mix of drugs, and the fact that you suspect it may be a possibility, I would strongly suggest you consult your doctor.

Sometimes they just won't mention the obvious because they don't think it matters.....

My dad suffered completely unnecessary ailments due to the drugs prescribed to him by his doctor, and underwent several uncomfortable tests and experiences (including a heart attack!) because the doctor never bothered to tell him the medication he'd prescribed caused acute complications......

Get answers from your doctor.

It's your life.

Get it back.

I would suggest mentioning it to your doctor, like the others. I was on the Depo injections for about two years, and when I went off them it was like a cloud was lifted! I was so much happier, sociable, active. It was unbelievable. Even now my doctor will continue to say there are no documented side effects from Depo, but I have found tons of others online who claim to have had similar experiences with Depo, so yes it could be your meds.

If it isn't that, perhaps you should try speaking with a counselor or minister? Someone else close to you whom you trust? Maybe you should try going for a short time away from your boyfriend. Explain to him what you said to us, that you are upset that you keep losing your temper with him. Perhaps you spend too much time with him? It's possible to have too much of a good thing!

• Author
xosweetgrli08xo

I think all of you are right... The short-temperedness actually began when I started my birth control. I am switching to a different OB/GYN because my insurance changed. What do you suggest I say to the new doctor? What's a good birth control that won't cause me to act like a psycho? Rather, be less of a psycho.

Also, I think that time away from him would be good too. I do spend almost everyday with him and I talk to him a lot. Do you guys suggest that I just don't spend as much time with him? I don't really have that many friends since I work and go to school. Since high school, I've lost a lot of friends due to out-of-state schools. Should I just do a girls night and let him do a guys night? Would that be a good idea?

One more thing, do you think the mixture of the medicines are doing this?

Yeah your meds could be affecting your mood.

Lol, you don't need to use the word psycho.......

Doctors are pros and deal with this stuff, just ask if your meds are affecting your mood and till your doc how you're blowing up at your BF.

SoulSearch_CO

I'd say if the temper thing started with the BCPs, then it's that causing them - not necessarily the mix of the two meds you're taking. When you get to your new GYN, just tell him/her that you want to try a new BCP because this one is making you feel crazy. They've heard it before, trust me.

Just be aware - it is possible that NO BCP is going to be right for you. My friend is a psycho-crazy bitch (by her own admission) when she's on BCPs, so she actually had to just go get a IUD put in so she wouldn't have to worry about the hormones. You just have to keep trying them until you find a fit for you.