Talkative in person and online but not on phone?

Mydish1

So I've been on a few dates with this girl, but I notice that when we're on a date or talking online she's very talkative and her personality shines. But if it's over the phone it gets a little awkward, and often times she'll kind of want me to get to the chase of making/asking her out on a date. I guess she's not a fan of small talk over the phone.

What do you guys make of this? Is she shy? Afraid of falling into the friend's zone?

Lindarose84

I wouldn't think much of it nor do I think she's shy. I'm exactly the same. My guy and I are all talks when we're together (we don't do the online talking thing) but when we're on the phone (which is pretty much every day), we just keep it short and sweet- we see how each other's day was and make plans for getting together and hang up.

Some people are just not phone people and my guy and I have even told each other that we're not phone people so we understand when our daily conversations over the phone last less than 10 minutes because we talk more when we're together anyway. I think the phone thing has to do with the fear of the "awkward pause." Sometimes, there just isn't something to say at every second and while just sitting in silence would be ok in person, it's not when people are on the phone.

The phone is not my preferred mode of communication and I make it known to everyone I date (including family and friends). I think your girl is the same way. It's no biggie.

Citizen Drawn

Wait, you're a guy complaining about his girl not being talkative on the phone?! :laugh:

Ok, but seriously, some people just aren't phone people.

I hate chatting on the phone- it's not my thing. I talk on the phone as little as possible.

Don't draw any conclusions from this. Lots of people avoid the phone.

If she's cool on msn and more importantly, in person- that's what you should draw your conclusions from.

SoulSearch_CO

I hate the phone. Awkward silences, can't read body language or facial expressions...Hate it. :sick: But I can really be who I am in person or online. So I totally relate to her. I wouldn't read into it much. Some people just hate the phone. I'm one of them.

Odetta Dean
So I've been on a few dates with this girl, but I notice that when we're on a date or talking online she's very talkative and her personality shines. But if it's over the phone it gets a little awkward, and often times she'll kind of want me to get to the chase of making/asking her out on a date. I guess she's not a fan of small talk over the phone.

What do you guys make of this? Is she shy? Afraid of falling into the friend's zone?

Maybe she feels that she doesn't know you good enough yet? Or maybe she isn't just a phone person. You'd be suprised at the # of people that hate phones.

Just go with the flow and see what happens.

Curious-One

Anytime anyone calls me i always force them to get to the point by saying i am busy or i got to go. If i am with someone i will always say i am w my friend now and being rude, let me call you back. IF ( i rarely do) decide to call someone back i try to set up a time where we can talk in person. If i am watching a good show on the tv or a good movie i will not pick up the phone lol.

My friends, coworkers, gfs always complain about me not picking up the phone and most of the people that know me know that when they call me... they better get to the point.

Heavy cellphone usage has been linked to cancer so that is the usual excuse i give why i hate talking on the phone. Many people dont understand that i just hate talking on the phone so i use that to cut to the chase. Its actually true and cellphone companies are forced to put it in the usermanuals of most cellpones.

Link http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/02/080214144349.htm

• Author

What you guys are saying does kind of make sense. Reflecting on myself I'm a lot like that actually. Most of the time when I call my friends up or if they call me it's usually to hangout. A few years ago I would actually have conversations with them over the phone, but rarely do now (with the exception of a couple of people).

As long as the dates are going well, it should be fine. I guess I just find this weird because the personality isn't the same over the phone as compared to in-person.