Clothing for a young guy

I dress pretty plain - always a pair of gap or levi jeans and a t-shirt. Usually the t-shirt is something from my sport or just has something generic on it, like "NYC" or something.

I have dozens of other t-shirts in my closet, but most of them are either black heavy band t-shirts or really nerdy t-shirts from shirt.woot.com.

My question is, what new stuff can I wear without looking like a douche? What I mean by that is, the only "style" I've seen among guys my age is the tight-ass hollister t-shirt or the button-down shirt, and most of those guys tend to be douches, bros, or whatever else you call them.

I have a number of button-down shirts in my closet, and I like them...but I feel like they're too fancy for regular everyday wear...and that they make me look like a douche.

Any clothing tips for me? What kind of clothing would be attractive for someone like me? I'd also like to find an alternative to wearing just jeans (maybe shorts? :rolleyes:)

Jeans and a shirt always worked for me. On a date though, I do step it up to either a polo or button down cotton shirt. Work, suite mostly. Everything else, jeans, sneaks, and a tee.

Chrome Barracuda

I always like sweat suits and whatnot. But that's if I'm just walking down the block or something.

A jeans and t will do it, but sometimes you gotta switch it up. a nice silk like button down shirt and some slacks could work.

I mean do you have any designers in mind, fashion is not my forte' I'm a plain kind of guy.

• Author
I always like sweat suits and whatnot. But that's if I'm just walking down the block or something.

A jeans and t will do it, but sometimes you gotta switch it up. a nice silk like button down shirt and some slacks could work.

I mean do you have any designers in mind, fashion is not my forte' I'm a plain kind of guy.

Eh, no designers, and fashion isn't a forte for me either, haha.

I guess a t-shirt works. Maybe I'll wear my button-downs a bit more often. Some shorts might work too.

• Author

Cool, so pretty much polo's or buttondowns? Ones that don't look too fancy. I like that.

Any ideas for pants/shorts?

Trialbyfire

Don't wear pressed clothing. Wear soft fabrics right out of the dryer, that are slightly scruffy, in layers.

Loose (NOT too droopy) pants/jeans, plain t-shirts that are barely v-neck, soft unbuttoned shirts and running shoes/casual shoes.

QuietOverAllHoops

I go to the American Veterans Thrift Store here and get great stuff for such a low price, you'd never know it came from a thrift store. Thrift stores have stuff that is extremely unique and just about impossible to find anywhere else.

If you wear shorts- gotta do sandals or flip flops. Never do runners, or socks and runners....!!!!!

I like an Abercrombie look on guys. Jeans, flip flops and a Tee look nice.

Chrome Barracuda
Eh, no designers, and fashion isn't a forte for me either, haha.

I guess a t-shirt works. Maybe I'll wear my button-downs a bit more often. Some shorts might work too.

I'm starting to get into business suits, I got my own personal guy at the big and tall suit store hook me up. I brought a nice black blazer and matching bottom for like 150$. The next one is a light gray suit with matching silk shirt and tie.

Macy's is also a good place to shop too. you can check out some of their stuff online.

• Author
If you wear shorts- gotta do sandals or flip flops. Never do runners, or socks and runners....!!!!!

I like an Abercrombie look on guys. Jeans, flip flops and a Tee look nice.

I haven't worn shorts in years, and I was literally sweating my ass off in my jeans today, which is why I was considering them.

All the shorts I have are WAYYY too big for me...they were from years ago when I had a bigger waist.

I see some guys wearing those checkered shorts. Are those tacky?

I haven't worn shorts in years, and I was literally sweating my ass off in my jeans today, which is why I was considering them.

All the shorts I have are WAYYY too big for me...they were from years ago when I had a bigger waist.

No! They are nice.

Honestly, it's all in the way you put something together.

My best advice to guys when they want to put together some outfits is to go to a mall and look at the mannequins in the window. If you see something you like, go into the store and ask someone to help you put together the look.

This takes the guess work out of shopping.:cool:

I like some light sweaters or something.

I usually get solid colors, not striped.

http://www.supplierlist.com/photo_images/51869/Jacquard_cashmere_sweater.jpg

http://imgs.yoox.biz/39/39109858_2.jpg

Obviously you can go wrong with cashmere, but if you find the right one it's not bad. I have one I really like with me in it, but I'm not sure you're allowed to post pictures of yourself? My suggestion, though I don't know your build.

Wait... Ever? I wear a t-shirt, shorts, and shoes with socks everyday...

Personally, I like the mens line for Hollister, Abercrombie, American Eagle, and Aeropostale. I think the plaid shorts are hot. I like a guy in a button down shirt. Polo shirts are good too. Definitely flip flops or sandals with shorts like mentioned. The whole guy wearing pink thing doesn't do it for me though.

:sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick:

Whats your coloring like? I find that if you are wearing colors that flatter you, you can get away with a lot more. And how old are you?

If you're gonna wear shorts, keep them below the knee. Maybe go into a clothing store, find a cute young sales assistant and just ask her to choose you a pair of shorts and shirt that'll suit you

Intricategirl

I'm a fashion writer, and without being able to stand in front of you and say, "Okay, don't bother with that, even though 99% of the guys your age could pull it off" I'd go with exactly what TrialbyFire said. It's pretty solid, all-purpose sort of advice for young guys. The other option is to go into a clothing store with a female clerk and tell her you need help. If you find one that's game for helping you, she'll be able to help you craft something a little more individual.

My summer everyday wear is usually shorts (plaid or cargo), flip flops, and a t-shirt/polo/occassionally button down. I like American Eagle's polos a lot too.

Really, just try some things out and make sure you're comfortable above all.

• Author

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll be getting a bit of cash in a few days, so I think I'll pay a visit to some clothing stores and go from there.

Oh, and one more kinda-related question...well not really related, but I figured I'd just use the same thread.

Is there any way I can conceal sweat marks on clothes, particularly around the pits? I sweat a lot, and unless I'm wearing black, dark navy, or white, you can see BIG very distinct pit stains. It looks kinda nasty...:o

1. I <3 boys that wear Abercrombie&Fitch :love: It's sexy/casual and masculine, not metro - AND appropriate for almost any situation that's not formal (I went to a hockey winter semi in college with a guy who wear Aber - slacks, a button down with a sweater over it and a tie from somewhere else and MAN IT WAS SEXY).

2. Listen to TBF and D-Lish!

3. Pants (whether jeans or shorts) that are too tight OR too loose are TERRIBLE! Get ones that fit!

4. Online or at department stores you can get things that you place in the armpits of your shirt. I've only ever seen them for women, but I'm sure men can use them also, or that there's a similar product for men. Sorry but I can't think what it's called off the top of my head.

• Author
1. I <3 boys that wear Abercrombie&Fitch :love: It's sexy/casual and masculine, not metro - AND appropriate for almost any situation that's not formal (I went to a hockey winter semi in college with a guy who wear Aber - slacks, a button down with a sweater over it and a tie from somewhere else and MAN IT WAS SEXY).

2. Listen to TBF and D-Lish!

3. Pants (whether jeans or shorts) that are too tight OR too loose are TERRIBLE! Get ones that fit!

4. Online or at department stores you can get things that you place in the armpits of your shirt. I've only ever seen them for women, but I'm sure men can use them also, or that there's a similar product for men. Sorry but I can't think what it's called off the top of my head.

1. I hate to admit that I like those clothes too...it's just that, around here at least, all the total tools wear that stuff, so even though it looks good it's associated with those kinds of guys.

2. Ok :)

3. Don't worry, my jeans fit right.

4. I'll look into it. Like I said, it isn't visible with white or really dark colors.

I thought of that because yesterday someone posted a few facebook pictures of this really pretty girl and me at this party that I've been thinking of asking out. I was wearing this brown shirt, and you could easily see dark sweat stains around my pits about the size of a baseball. I felt a bit embarrassed, honestly. :o I just don't want something so stupid to ruin any chances I have with a girl.

1. I hate to admit that I like those clothes too...it's just that, around here at least, all the total tools wear that stuff, so even though it looks good it's associated with those kinds of guys.

2. Ok :)

3. Don't worry, my jeans fit right.

4. I'll look into it. Like I said, it isn't visible with white or really dark colors.

I thought of that because yesterday someone posted a few facebook pictures of this really pretty girl and me at this party that I've been thinking of asking out. I was wearing this brown shirt, and you could easily see dark sweat stains around my pits about the size of a baseball. I felt a bit embarrassed, honestly. :o I just don't want something so stupid to ruin any chances I have with a girl.

Yeah, hey they make the product for a reason! I think they're called shields (like depending on brand and stuff, clothing shield, armpit shield, etc.)

This shorts and no shoes thing is bugging me... Probably as that's what I wear everyday in the summer... Honestly wearing sandals is simply often impractical (I don't like my toes crushed), and wearing pants in the summer is a serious bummer. Also I prefer shorts that either go to the knees or stop just short of the knee, anything longer and I might as well be wearing pants...

Am I really in the fashion wrong here? I've never been very fashionable, which could explain a few things... :-\

DarkestDreams

Have you considered antiperspirants with aluminum chloride, like Drysol, SweatStop or Maxim? Despite the controversy around them, they are highly effective.

EddieN

I have the same problem buddy. Mine's a bit worse though. I imagine it happens without you running around all over the place? This would be hyperhidrosis, and yeah - it's no fun. I have it severely on the hands too.

Whatever the case may be I have a few options for you. Like I mentioned earlier the light cashmere sweater is a good option that will not show the sweat and is usually not too warm (depending on where you live. I live in Texas so I can only rarely use them to my advantage).

Another option is some sports jerseys. I'm a football (the one with your foot silly!) fan so I have some jerseys for my favorite teams (Bayern München, etc.). The polyester that most jerseys are made of do not show sweat.

Hope it helps. The best thing to do with women (which I have never really tried...) is just be honest from the beginning. Make it into a joke or something, but if you don't put too much emphasis on it, I doubt they will. If they do, you know you're messing with someone too immature for you anyway.