Is this emotional abuse?

I’ve been seeing this guy for about 6 months now. We were friends for about a year before that. So he has anger issues. He would yell at me for simple things such as asking him what he would be doing later on the day. This one time when I asked him to pick up a knife and put it where it belonged he just got too upset and throws it across the room. That’s when I started to get too concerned. He also criticizes me and everything I do every other minute. If I voice my opinion he will shut me with “that’s stupid”. He criticizes what I do at work and says that it is really worth nothing. He tells me that I am not capable of doing anything just because I told him I can’t last for two or three hrs at the gym like he dose. I am not physically capable of exercising for more than 30 minutes and he knows that. He thinks everything and everyone is out to get him and he is super arrogant to people. I am feeling horrible because of the way he treats me and talks to me. And I don’t have the strength to get out.

xpaperxcutx

Yes, sweetie, it's emotional abuse. Research your local women's shelter or get some support from family and friends. You can always get out before he starts getting physical. You know his behaviour is unacceptable. By being complacent you're letting him know that you're his puppet. Be strong and walk away. You deserve better.

Katherineos123

This is MOST CERTAINLY emotional abuse. Im pretty sure you already knew the answer to that one. YOU NEED TO GET OUT!!!

It seems to me that the anger this man is displaying is only going to get worse, and it may quickly become physical abuse if you dont dump this jerk now.

Why do you want to stay with someone who makes you feel this way!?! This relationship is scary, controlling, and belittling... completely unhealthy to say the least.

Dump him. Immediately.

Yes, it is. Get out of that relationship NOW. Use your friends and family for support, and if you can, I highly recommend talking to a counselor. I was in an emotionally abusive relationship for four years, and didn't find the strength to get out until the abuse turned physical. Please don't wait that long.

As a side note, I tried talking to my friends and family about what I was going through, and they tried, but they just didn't get it. I'd never been to a therapist before, but talking to a counselor helped me immensely.

SoulSearch_CO

Oh, wow. Run like hell. Yes, it's emotional abuse. I almost consider it worse than physical in some cases. There are no visible scars and it's damn near impossible to "prove." And yet - you will carry these wounds for the rest of your life. With each cutting word, he's cutting away a piece of you. Little by little, he will make you a smaller and smaller person. The longer you stay, the harder it will be to leave. If you can't find the strength on your own, consider calling an abuse hotline. http://www.ndvh.org/ 800-799-SAFE

The fact that he can THROW A KNIFE shows to me that he has the ability to turn this physical on you. PLEASE get away from this man.

SoulSearch_CO

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/domestic_violence_abuse_types_signs_causes_effects.htm

Emotional or psychological abuse can be verbal or nonverbal. Its aim is to chip away at your feelings of self-worth and independence. If you’re the victim of emotional abuse, you may feel that there is no way out of the relationship, or that without your abusive partner you have nothing. Emotional abuse includes verbal abuse such as yelling, name-calling, blaming, and shaming. Isolation, intimidation, and controlling behavior also fall under emotional abuse. Additionally, abusers who use emotional or psychological abuse often throw in threats of physical violence.

You may think that physical abuse is far worse than emotional abuse, since physical violence can send you to the hospital and leave you with scars. But, the scars of emotional abuse are very real, and they run deep. In fact, emotional abuse can be just as damaging as physical abuse—sometimes even more so. Furthermore, emotional abuse usually worsens over time, often escalating to physical battery.

Run...and run fast.

Call the police, this is serious. You could get hurt. Don't be afraid. Do like paperchase says and go to a women's shelter.