Language barrier

xpaperxcutx

xpaperxcutx

I'm just wondering if anyone would actually date someone who's not fluent in english?

Recently I find myself attracted to a friend of mine who's from El Salvador. He's very attractive but his preference for communication has always been Spanish. I'm a bit clumsy in that area despite having taken spanish as a secondary language back in high school. I'm hesitant to start anything besides remaining friends because of this.

• Author
xpaperxcutx
I don't know about the lanaguage issue, but he's probably hairy.

:lmao::lmao:

I know for a fact he isn't.

SoulSearch_CO

Sure! I don't see what it would matter as long as you two get along and the attraction is there. I'd be willing to learn a second language. LOL

I'm just wondering if anyone would actually date someone who's not fluent in english?

Oh gosh, no....I don't have the patience for that.

So much is lost in the translation.

A friend of mine was dating a Spanish speaking guy with very little English, he sent her a bereavement card on her Birthday saying "so sorry for your loss."

^ LOL.

Personally I wouldn't but that's cuz I really need to be able to connect with the person I'm dating and that means communication. But everyone's different. You may be able to connect in a different way -- only you know the answer to that.

I know a couple whose friends with my mom, who had a bit of a language problem. He was from the States, she was from mexico and neither of them spoke each others native language, however they both knew french. So when they began dating they communicated in french until she learned english. They have been married for years now and have 2 bilingual sons.

I am dating someone for 8months now, that does not speak fluent english. She knew the basics but has hard time understanding and expressing. First 2months were pretty hard but her english improved alot.

If you both are willing to work hard at understanding each other, i would say go for it. The beginning will be hard but once you get used to each other, communication won't even be an issue.

However, their customs and values i find become the bigger issue than language...............