Difference between 'bbw', 'stocky', and 'full-figured'?

Hello. I was wondering what the difference is between the terms 'stocky', 'bbw', and 'full-figured'...? I thought they all were euphenisms for being overweight, but I don't know the difference. I saw these categories in the online dating sites and was confused by them.

I wish there was a category called 'fat' or 'heavy' to make things simpler, but no such category exists.

• Author

This was on match.com... actually the terms 'curvy' and 'heavyset' are also on there, which confuses things even more. I don't think 'curvy' necessarily means fat though. How does 'heavyset' compare to 'bbw' or 'full-figured'?

Chicago_Guy

I think that "stocky" and "full-figured" mean "obese" in layman's terms. "BBW," on the other hand, means "morbidly obese."

LucreziaBorgia

Women's definitions:

stocky = short, round all over - like an apple

bbw = really large and round all over - like a watermelon

full figured = large but proportioned - like full sized models (look up Emme)

curvy = big (sometimes really big) hips and boobs with a smaller waist

heavyset = not huge, not small but not proportioned either - like an eggplant

Men's definitions:

All of the above are varying ranges of overweight from chubby to morbidly obese.

If you want a fit, petite woman with some curves (your average Maxim models) - none of the above applies on dating sites.

Justanotherschmuck

But when you are describing yourself to a male, a woman's definition means nada.

All those words are ego strokes, nothing more.

I read that physical attractiveness and financial security are two legitimate concerns for people. They may be legitimate, but they are, IMO, incredibly shallow. If it wasn't shallow, you would never have 90% people DENYING that money and looks are the most important aspect to them.

Women's definitions:

stocky = short, round all over - like an apple

bbw = really large and round all over - like a watermelon

full figured = large but proportioned - like full sized models (look up Emme)

curvy = big (sometimes really big) hips and boobs with a smaller waist

heavyset = not huge, not small but not proportioned either - like an eggplant

Men's definitions:

All of the above are varying ranges of overweight from chubby to morbidly obese.

If you want a fit, petite woman with some curves (your average Maxim models) - none of the above applies on dating sites.

Curvy = What heavyset, full-figured and BBW's refer to themselves as on dating sites. lol (if that option is available)

Anyhow, I got one for you, met a woman on a dating site that called her body type "Athletic"

She only had mostly face shots, then later she put up some full pic photos.

I have to tell you, maybe It's me....but she did NOT look athletic....she looked chubby (measurements larger in the middle and smaller on the top and bottom)

Heck, I'm thinner than her, and keep active (but not a gym go-er) and I don't refer to myself with an athletic body type.

When I think "Athletic" I think of a woman in spandex instructing an aerobix class or someone with a bikers/swimmer physique.

But. what's funny is....a woman CAN put on a few pounds....as long as it's proportionate. If she can get away with that, she can be still attractive.

But if it's UN-evenly distributed....I guess not so much.

But I think the even proportions come from only gaining a LIMITED amount of weight.....after so many pounds, she'll become disproportionate?

If you see any of the above descriptions run.

The most misleading is when women describe themselves as "curvy".

As a man I am thinking "Wow, great." Perhaps large breasted, something like 36d, 24, 34 . Maybe 5 ft 6, 125.

When women say curvy these days, it means fat. Maybe five ft 2, 180.

I have actually seen women try to "hide" parts of their bodies in pics

One woman I know listed herself as a "few extra pounds" only has a pic of her eyeball and teeth (part of her smiling mouth).

Some like to put their kids in front of them to hide their figure, a picture of them poking their head out (or part of their body) from behind a tree.

There's this one woman that has 7 pictures of angle shots all taken "birds-eye" view from the side (apparently people look thinner with photos taken from the flanks, lol)

There have been SOME women, for some reason, at least to me.....that had a few pounds on them (even somewhat heavy set) but VERY full figured.

That some how I found very attractive.....I guess maybe she dresses femnine, keeps her hair long, and a very pretty face, I was like "Wow, very beautiful for a heavy set woman"

Of course, some men would beg to differ, but I've seen my share of "knock out" heavy set women that just can seem to pull it off.

A good example

http://www.plentyoffish.com/member6390330.htm

they all mean 'fat'.. men lie about their height and their weight all the time.. if they're obese, they usually put 'stocky'.. if they have about 20 lbs overweight.. they put 'fit'...

and one more thing.. when they are gray and balding.. they put 'dark hair'... huh????? dark???? hair????

Not much, IME. You are exactly right, they are euphemisms for a person that is very overweight or obese. Fat or heavy won’t exist because very few people would honestly call themselves fat, even if they really are.

This was on match.com... actually the terms 'curvy' and 'heavyset' are also on there, which confuses things even more. I don't think 'curvy' necessarily means fat though. How does 'heavyset' compare to 'bbw' or 'full-figured'?

Heavyset is no different. I agree, curvy SHOULD not necessarily mean fat, but the women that claim to be curvy online 90% of the time are fat. IME, most women who are not athletic or slender give themselves one body type better than they actually are.

I always look for a full body picture and usually don’t put much weight (pardon the pun) into the body description. If there are only face or head shots they have something to hide.

Not much, IME. You are exactly right, they are euphemisms for a person that is very overweight or obese. Fat or heavy won’t exist because very few people would honestly call themselves fat, even if they really are.

Heavyset is no different. I agree, curvy SHOULD not necessarily mean fat, but the women that claim to be curvy online 90% of the time are fat. IME, most women who are not athletic or slender give themselves one body type better than they actually are.

I always look for a full body picture and usually don’t put much weight (pardon the pun) into the body description. If there are only face or head shots they have something to hide.

Yep.. there is something to hide but not necessarily extra weight. I have done an experiment on this... a few times I posted just a face shot... (get a lot of messages).. but if I add my breasts in the picture.. then I get tons of messages.. :D

Busty women (or women with an amazing body).. sometimes do not post a full pic.. since she doesn't necessarily want the men just for her figure.. :o

Busty women (or women with an amazing body).. sometimes do not post a full pic.. since she doesn't necessarily want the men just for her figure.. :o

:laugh: I can understand that. I've found a few women like that online (and met one :D), but those tend to be the exceptions.

mr.dream merchant

I think fat girls say their curvy only because they're in denial. Curves is Beyonce Knowles, Vida Guerra, Michelle Ford, Jenifer Lopez back in the day. That's curves/thick. Anything where you look like an apple, marshmallow, watermelon, a ****ing pear, whatever it is that have NO shape just roundness to it, you're overweight. Curves is in shape but voluptuous as well. Mmmmm can we say Jessica Biel? Hot dayum.

I've actually seen FEW women who weren't ashamed enough to put most of their stats in their profile

Both Ht. and weight as well as what size dress they wear.

It's funny, I am very tongue in cheek when I have my doubts, then I finally break down and ask the question that could offend or get an honest answer.

"So....um......how much do you weigh?"

Then you get the ol' "You should NEVER ask a woman here weight!"

(Along with age as well I suppose, lol)

Sometimes I wonder if curvy (to men) means athletic with big boobs? I've got an athletic figure but a small chest so I got away with calling myself athletic... :-) Women who are overweight consider themselves curvy.

I certainly wouldnt' consider Jessica Biel to be "curvy" though, especially after her films like Blade. I think she looks great though, but not curvy.

I'm not sure many men have a concept of women's weight, however. I'm 5'5 and 118lbs which is pretty slim but I'm also very strong (I can deadlift 200+ lbs after years of training). Most men think I'm under 100lbs but I'd look like the walking death at that weight (I got down to 109 when I was training for running and yikes... had to gain).

I'm disappointed that so many women don't make the effort to work on their health (and a lower weight naturally comes with that). My SO remarked that I was the first `slim athletic`profile girl he met... that was actually slim and athletic.

mr.dream merchant

I guess Jessica Biel is more accurately described as athletic which is sexy as ****. Jesus her legs and ass just...sssssssssssssssssssss daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn. My GF thoroughly hate Jessica Biel. That's a real woman.

Sometimes I wonder if curvy (to men) means athletic with big boobs? I've got an athletic figure but a small chest so I got away with calling myself athletic... :-) Women who are overweight consider themselves curvy.

What makes a woman “curvy” to me is if she has big hips and boobs relative to her waist. She doesn’t necessarily have to be thin, but she is not significantly overweight (i.e., 30+ lbs) either. My experience, though, is that most “curvy” women online generally could fall under the stocky, BBW, heavyset, or full-figured, etc. (pick your favorite euphemism for fat) categories as well.

blondesmiler

Men lie about their height, women about their weight...why I donno but would hazzard a guess that they are insecure in one way or another.

I would consider myself curvy big busted with small hips and legs I might have the odd issue at the odd time with my body but I have no reason to lie & don't, if someone doesn't like it, tough tittie.

Jersey Shortie
I guess Jessica Biel is more accurately described as athletic which is sexy as ****. Jesus her legs and ass just...sssssssssssssssssssss daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn. My GF thoroughly hate Jessica Biel. That's a real woman.

Weren't you just complaining about women's use of what makes a "real man"?

I think Jessica Biel is cute but don't really think she is super hot. Someone like Penelope Cruz is hot.

Chicago_Guy
I think Jessica Biel is cute but don't really think she is super hot. Someone like Penelope Cruz is hot.

I agree. Jessica Biel has a great body, but I don't like her face. Penelope Cruz is much better looking.

• Author

Hmm, interesting discussion.

As far as 'bbw' goes, it seems a 'bbw' is someone who has large breasts and large hips and is tall. What about a petite woman who is 50 pounds overweight (like 5'2", 180 lbs), yet is pear-shaped... large curvy hips but medium (not big) chest? I am guessing that wouldn't be considered 'bbw'. Would that person be 'full-figured' or just 'stocky'?

Yeah, I also find it amusing when people list themselves as 'athletic' or 'average' when they clearly have a double chin additional 30 pounds to lose. :o Though I suppose they could use those terms as compared to the general population, not in terms of what is healthy.

It's all fat...

From all the scenarios considered, curvy is the only positive one, meaning that the girl's got some nice over-all layer softness going on, but it is even, and is on top of a fit and well-shaped body anyway, which shape is only exagerated a bit by the baby fat --> hence the term curvy...:love:

Chicago_Guy

It's funny, I signed up for a free match.com profile a few years ago and I looked at some of the other profiles for guys so I could figure out what to add to my profile. I remember seeing some profiles for guys who listed themselves as "athletic" even though they were fat and clearly didn't lift weights. This is one of the many problems with Internet dating - so many people lie and think they are much more attractive than they really are.