Quick Poll

Explorer

1. Do you prioritize your career over your significant other. If you don't have one, do you think you would?

2. Are you male or female?

3. Is your income

A: Under 100k

B: Over 100k

Under 100k - I don't have a significant other, and I suspect it is in part because I have put my job first.. I work a lot of overtime.

but if I did my job would have to take a back seat.

I'm a grad student (and often put in 10 hours a day plus work every weekend) so I don't have a career yet. However--I don't understand why people speak of balancing a career with a relationship. Yes, balancing a career with a spouse and children is very, very difficult. But just a relationship? I don't see what's so difficult about that unless you're working more than 60 hours a week.

1. Do you prioritize your career over your significant other. If you don't have one, do you think you would?

They are equal in appearance but in reality the career has a higher priority, but only because it pays the bills and I can't walk away from my responsibilities as a business owner.

Male

3. Is your income

B but in my early career it was A and my priorities were all about my career and nothing else as I realized that money comes with success and in order to be successful my priorities had to be my career.

3. Is your income

1. No

2. Male

3. B

No, I feel that my SO deserves my time. No SO at the moment, but working on a lovely lady from one of my classes...

Male.

Under 100K due to student, however, I work part time, volunteer, play college lacrosse.

1. Career takes priority

2. Male

3. Over 100k

Under normal circumstances, there's time for both career and relationship. It's not like it HAS to be one or the other.

But if push comes to shove, career wins. I have to pay my bills. That's just a basic necessity of living in a developed society. I don't see how anyone can survive without money.

Many couples fight, and even break up over financial issues. Not having enough money puts A LOT of stress on relationships.

Here's Ruggy's take. I can live without a woman. I'll get by. I cannot live with out the paper. Rent, taxes, food, utilities, etc. I need to pay that with paper. Last time I checked, I cannot cash in a woman. Though, if you think about it, both loose value over time it seems.