What is creepy?

kashmir

Is a creepy guy simply an unattractive guy showing interest in a girl, or can a woman find a man both attractive looking but creepy at the same time?

Say you're in a public place and a decent looking guy is holding eye contact and smiling at you. Is that creepy?

I just have this fear of being creepy for a number of reasons I won't get into. I feel like if I look at a girl and smile at her that I will come off as creepy. I feel like I look creepy and have creepy mannerisms that I simply can't control - subtle facial expressions and body language.

I think creepy would be more like stareing. I know I find that real creepy. But simply looking at a girl and flashing her a nice smile.. that's not creepy.

Mea:)

confused_2008

Kasmir, I love your threads, man. They always seem to make me think, but I wonder what must be going through your head. It's got to be a lot and I bet only a small amount of it makes it to LS. ;)

On topic, I think even a good looking guy can be creepy. I'm a guy so obviously don't have guys check me out, but I think it all depends on how he looks at women.

Do you practice in the mirror to see what you are like?

I don't think looking at someone and maintaining eye contact is creepy because you are looking at the eyes, unless you are not really making eye contact and staring at something else.

And I think it really depends on what the woman considers attractive. As a woman and when I was single, if I wasn't attracted to someone and they were hitting on me, they would creep me out. But some girls could be taken and creeped out by someone staring at them. You just have to gauge the situation.

Also, eye contact is one thing, but a lot of people like it when someone actually smiles because not many people do that these days, especially the women.

Creepy is woman speak for "I have no interest in you". If they are interested in you then you will not be creepy. It’s as simple as that.

If you think you come off creepy in general or look creepy, you could work on your changing your mannerisms or your look a bit. I used to have a shaved head, walked with my head down a lot and had trouble making eye contact with people. I'm sure I looked creepy to a lot of people. :laugh:

I noticed when I grew my hair out a bit, started walking with my head up and making more eye to eye contact with women they were more receptive. You’ll have to figure your individual quirks out on your own, though.

• Author
Kasmir, I love your threads, man. They always seem to make me think, but I wonder what must be going through your head. It's got to be a lot and I bet only a small amount of it makes it to LS. ;)

About .0001% makes it to LS. ;)

Do you practice in the mirror to see what you are like?

I don't think looking at someone and maintaining eye contact is creepy because you are looking at the eyes, unless you are not really making eye contact and staring at something else.

And I think it really depends on what the woman considers attractive. As a woman and when I was single, if I wasn't attracted to someone and they were hitting on me, they would creep me out. But some girls could be taken and creeped out by someone staring at them. You just have to gauge the situation.

Also, eye contact is one thing, but a lot of people like it when someone actually smiles because not many people do that these days, especially the women.

What I'll usually do is if I see an attractive girl around me I'll put my head in her general vicinity...like, say my vision is looking straight at 12 o'clock, the girl might be at 10 or 2 o'clock. Now and then I'll look her in the eye and wait for her to see me. Usually she doesn't. If she does I probably glance away quickly. After doing this 3-4 times I'll look at her and crack a little mouth-closed smile. The girl hardly ever smiles back, hence why I think there might be a creepy factor going on.

• Author
Creepy is woman speak for "I have no interest in you". If they are interested in you then you will not be creepy. It’s as simple as that.

If you think you come off creepy in general or look creepy, you could work on your changing your mannerisms or your look a bit. I used to have a shaved head, walked with my head down a lot and had trouble making eye contact with people. I'm sure I looked creepy to a lot of people. :laugh:

I noticed when I grew my hair out a bit, started walking with my head up and making more eye to eye contact with women they were more receptive. You’ll have to figure your individual quirks out on your own, though.

I walked around with my head up and chest out a bit. It's funny you mention the shaved head, because I've been thinking of buzzing my hair or cutting it really short - I have medium length hair right now (and it's getting kinda annoying, haha).

missdeathwish

It's definitely in the way the guy looks at you. I personally find it creepy when a guy is definitely looking at me but doesn't have his face turned towards me. There's something weird about that. I also think it's kind of weird when a guy keeps watching me but doesn't say anything or smile. You have to smile if you make prolonged or repeated eye contact or you look scary.

Definitely, though... keep your head up.

And fral, creepy has a darker insinuation than what you mention. "Creepy" obviously means "I'm not interested" but more importantly it means "You're kind of scary". A person that you're not interested in might not make you feel uncomfortable, but a creepy person can actually come across as unsafe.

I walked around with my head up and chest out a bit. It's funny you mention the shaved head, because I've been thinking of buzzing my hair or cutting it really short - I have medium length hair right now (and it's getting kinda annoying, haha).

Well a shaved head might work for you, who knows? :laugh: You can always grow it back. I think in my case it made me look more intimidating.

If she does I probably glance away quickly.

Wrong. It shows you're insecure.

If you're interested in a girl smiling and making eye contact lets her know you find her attractive. Just don't leer or stare at her. If she shows no sign of interest and, if you persist, then you would be creepy.

I agree with fral945. It could be your overall demeanor. When he described the shaved head and walking with his head down, it made me think he slumped - and that is never attractive. Posture has a lot to do with it as well. You don't want to look like you have a hump or something.

And perhaps you are not holding the gaze long enough?!

I would look in the mirror and see what your smile looks like. It could be sending a bad vibe. There was an interesting thing on the internet about what types of smiles people thought were attractive. I am trying to find it, if I find it, I will post it for you. It was eye opening to me because I always thought people liked toothy smiles, but the majority surveyed liked the smile that only showed the upper row of teeth and not the bottom.

And fral, creepy has a darker insinuation than what you mention. "Creepy" obviously means "I'm not interested" but more importantly it means "You're kind of scary". A person that you're not interested in might not make you feel uncomfortable, but a creepy person can actually come across as unsafe.

I don't disagree. Generally you will be labeled creepy if a woman doesn't find you attractive and you show interest. But obviously there are REALLY creepy guys as well. :eek:

I agree with this.

Is a creepy guy simply an unattractive guy showing interest in a girl, or can a woman find a man both attractive looking but creepy at the same time?

Say you're in a public place and a decent looking guy is holding eye contact and smiling at you. Is that creepy?

As an example, I was in the mall a few months ago and a guy was walking towards me. Yes, I noticed him because he was good-looking. He looked back and something in his eyes totally creeped me out, something far too intimate and familiar. I quickly went in a different direction.

I think you'll know it if you do it. Girls will run away from you.

No this is flirting.. ;)

I just have this fear of being creepy for a number of reasons I won't get into. I feel like if I look at a girl and smile at her that I will come off as creepy. I feel like I look creepy and have creepy mannerisms that I simply can't control - subtle facial expressions and body language.

I would find a guy creepy if he keeps starring at me.. his mouth wide opened... drooling.. his eyes turning back in his head.. making weird noises... with a goofy smile on this face. Now THAT would be creepy! :laugh:

FIrst off if you really want to get women you need to stop worying about being a creep. Women love creeps, my current gf thought I was a total creep and people told her as much when she asked about me. Embrace your inner creep and have the confidence to do and say the things you want. People will react positively if your genuine, and you just run the risk of comming off boring or fake if your trying not to be a creep when you really are

• Author

Actually, I don't think I would know. Any movement a girl makes can be interpreted by me to mean she's running away.

Green, I'm not sure what you're saying. When a girl thinks a guy is a creep, she STAYS AWAY. She's not going to say, "Aww, you're so creepy...it's cute." If you mean "creep" as you might mean "dork," then I can see what you're saying, but otherwise you lost me.

Cherry Blossom 35
As an example, I was in the mall a few months ago and a guy was walking towards me. Yes, I noticed him because he was good-looking. He looked back and something in his eyes totally creeped me out, something far too intimate and familiar. I quickly went in a different direction.

Agreed, this is creepy, and it happens all too often. Kash, just catch a woman's eye, smile, maintain contact a MOMENT longer than you would if you were smiling at a sales clerk checking you out, and then look away. If she is interested, she will let you know., by smiling back, or coming over to talk to you. If she does not smile or she turns her head, give it up.

• Author
Agreed, this is creepy, and it happens all too often. Kash, just catch a woman's eye, smile, maintain contact a MOMENT longer than you would if you were smiling at a sales clerk checking you out, and then look away. If she is interested, she will let you know., by smiling back, or coming over to talk to you. If she does not smile or she turns her head, give it up.

You know, I just realized something when I went out to get dinner over the past 1/2 hour. I don't do this all the time, but I put a little extra effort into smiling at people and looking light-hearted. Everyone seems miserable. I must have looked a dozen people, guys and girls alike, in the eye and gave a modest but noticeable smile, and not one of them returned it. They just kept the same puss's on their faces.

Cherry Blossom 35

Do you live in the Northeast, Kashmir? That would explain it. There are a lot of sour pusses around here! Just keep doing it. Someone will respond.

Creepy is just a vibe- plain and simple. Not always something you can explain. It has nothing to do with whether they are physically attractive.

Geez, I was standing in a line the other day and an older man with down syndrome reached out to pet my head and told me I had pretty hair:eek: I wasn't creeped out at all- highly amused though. His "handler" pulled him away and told him "no Toby, you know that's inappropriate". lol.

I've met totally hot guys that gave me the creeps within secnds of meeting them- often they don't even have to say anything. It's just a feeling you get. And like TBF said- sometimes someone just looks at you and you get a creep vibe.

Lots of people out there are miserable. That's their problem- nothing to do with you. I'm quick to smile at strangers if eye contact is made- male or female.

Yeah, but what makes her uncomfortable? Simply the presence of a guy?

every girl is different what makes one girl uncomfortable may not make another girl uncomfortable ..

• Author
Do you live in the Northeast, Kashmir? That would explain it. There are a lot of sour pusses around here! Just keep doing it. Someone will respond.

Yeah, like an our south of NYC.

Creepy is just a vibe- plain and simple. Not always something you can explain. It has nothing to do with whether they are physically attractive.

Geez, I was standing in a line the other day and an older man with down syndrome reached out to pet my head and told me I had pretty hair:eek: I wasn't creeped out at all- highly amused though. His "handler" pulled him away and told him "no Toby, you know that's inappropriate". lol.

I've met totally hot guys that gave me the creeps within secnds of meeting them- often they don't even have to say anything. It's just a feeling you get. And like TBF said- sometimes someone just looks at you and you get a creep vibe.

Lots of people out there are miserable. That's their problem- nothing to do with you. I'm quick to smile at strangers if eye contact is made- male or female.

Hmm, so maybe I'm just one of those guys that can't help but have a creepy vibe. I was afraid that might be the case, because what the hell can I do to change that? It's not like I'm REALLY thinking or intending creepy things. I see an attractive girl and think, "She's cute, come on, look my way. :)" Not, "Wow, would I like a piece of that ass...though I think she'd look purdier as a blonde...and mmm...I can smell her avian skin cream...you little skank." :sick: