Letting the guy take care of things

Cherry Blossom 35

Cherry Blossom 35

Ok, I'm in a bit of a pickle here.

As some of you know I'm joining the guy I'm currently dating in LA in January for a few days at a resort north of the city. He really wanted me to come so he booked the ticket using his miles. However, the flight coming back does not get me to work on time, and I don't want to ask to come in late. It's not the hugest deal, but I'm doing that on another day for another trip so I don't want to do it twice. Anyway, I told him that I would like an earlier flight if possible. I know that with miles you have some limitations. He said, sure, I think there is one that comes in an hour earlier. I went to the airline website and saw some that are even better.

He said he would take care of it. Problem is, he is currently in China so it is hard for us to communicate. He has limited access to internet, but will be in Hong Kong within the next few days so he should have more opportunities to change this.

My question is, do I call the airline myself and try to change it or do I wait and let him do it? I feel like it is best to let him do it because guys like to take care of stuff like this. But time is running out and I don't want to miss getting a seat because he hasn't done it yet.

No, in this case, it's a practical importance. At this time of year, I really would grab the bull by the horns and book it yourself, Then explain why, and hope he didn't mind.

In my experience, whilst some guys don't mind the "I'll take care of it/protective" mantle, sometimes I think they wish they didn't have to assume all the responsibility.

Even Superman was vulnerable, ya know.....

Cherry, I would talk to your workplace and tell them that you're working on it but might have a problem with getting a seat on the return flight back, without getting into details. This gives you the best of both worlds in that you don't question his abilities, while still ensuring that your work side is covered, in case you get stuck with the original flight.

Or...

You suggest to this guy that he can pass this off to you since he's so busy.

Either way, don't backseat drive or take over without his enthusiastic buy-in. Men and their pride...

If he's using HIS miles, I doubt you can change YOUR ticket.

BUT because time is of the essence, I'd at least try. From what you've said it doesn't sound like he'd care.

OP, at the airport, currency doesn't matter. The airlines rules regarding standby (including confirmed same-day standby) do matter, as well as situational loads on the relevant flights, combined with your elite status, if any, on the transporting carrier. It doesn't matter where the miles came from for the award.

If you wish to PM me the specifics, I might be able to help. Flying commercially is a hobby of mine :D

Regarding "who" should be the "better" person to change the ticket (or other actions), IMO, it shouldn't matter. You should easily be able to make the changes you desire, as long as you know the PNR locator (passenger name record locator). The only time IME it becomes an issue is if/when the changes result in a ticket reissue (fees result) but changing to an earlier flight (even an earlier day) is generally not one of them. Again, each airline has different rules and procedures.

If your friend flies a lot *and* knows the airlines system intimately (it's entirely possible for this not to be the case), then IMO he'll likely want to handle things or at least outline to you what you can do and your options. I do this all the time with friends :)

Safe travels and hope the sex is mind-blowing ;):D