Do I Get Him a Xmas Present or Not?

Capricciosa

We've known each other for about a month and a bit and have had 5 dates, all of which have gone very well. He asked a strange question the other day--whether I had a coffee machine. When I asked why, he dodged my question--oh no reason--or something like that. I know that, in general, he has been immersed in xmas shopping.

I don't want to get in the situation where I've gotten him something and he hasn't or vice versa.

And the question remains, if I do get him something, what is too much and what is too little when getting a gift for someone you've recently come to know and like?

I don't know whether it's appropriate to get him anything - I'm not going to address that. All I want to say is that you should NOT base YOUR decision on whether to get him something on whether he is getting you something. This is the season of GIVING. Don't be "that" person who only gives if they get.

I agree with SG that you shouldn't get him something just because he is getting you something.

My suggestion is to get him a card. That shows that you care for him without going over the top. If he does buy you something graciously accept it.

I would still get him a gift. something simple. you dont have to spend a lot of money.

But you are basing the whole situation off of an assumption.

AlektraClementine

I've been in this situation before. A couple of years ago I started dating someone around Halloween and did not get him a Christmas present. When I went to meet him at his house for a date the week before, he put something like 4 wrapped packages in my lap. Nothing major. A joke gift, a Neko Case DVD, and something else. I felt like such a scrub for having nothing to give him in return.

I'm over that now as we aren't together and I'm sure it doesn't plague him at all. He's happily married. However, if I would go back, I'd get something. Nothing huge or sentimental, but definitely something in the way of a gag gift. Something humorous that he would have laughed at and a card.

I guess just go with the hint of him buying you a coffee machine (lol) and buy something of approximate equal value for him. And only pull it out if he gives you something :laugh: If not, keep it as a present for later LOL

No idea what I'd buy though. I personally suck at shopping for guys.

Guys always seem to get a gift if they are dating you around the holidays.

Get him one or you will be pissed you didnt. A book, a CD, tickets, bottle of scotch, something like that. You need never be sorry about giving a gift. Just dont over gift!

Some "small gift" ideas could be a keychain, a baseball hat, or some kind of "gag gift" that another poster suggested.

I would get him a gift only if you want to get him a gift.

Like 2sure said though, don't go overboard. Just get him something that you'd think he'd like. You should know him well enough by now.

• Author

I ordered a book that I thought he might like (and I would happily keep if it came to that). And I might also include a CD. Nothing over the top.

My inclination is to get him something, but this season makes things a little more awkward than meeting someone in , say, July...