sticky situation

shadowplay

At the beginning of the semester I started a club with my (now) ex bf. The club was my idea completely (in terms of both purpose and execution), and it annoyed me that he tried to take it over. Because he's more extraverted than I am, he was constantly pitching the club idea to other people and implying that it was his idea by using first person pronouns even though he denied that he was consciously doing so. He also started making decisions and appointments without my approval. He would meet with somebody about our club and not let me know about the appointment ahead of time so it would fit into my schedule. I told him that I wanted to write the mission statement and then he had some other guy do it.

Now broken up we're still working on the club together and running into more problems. He informed me after the fact that he had allowed some random interested guy in his class to be a "cofounder" which would give him a title equivalent to our own. My ex said the guy has cerebral palsy and when he asked for the title couldn't turn him down. I have told him explicitly that I do not want this guy to be a cofounder. Is this unreasonable of me? My ex and I created the club and it seems unfair to give some random guy a cofounder title when it wasn't his original idea. My ex is now refusing to retract this guy's title because he feels awkward.

Advice?

mysocalledlife

Tough situation, but it sounds like you will either have to take care of the situation yourself or accept it.

Is there a charter, or any rules or by-laws that you can rely on?

I think that you should go tell the guy that your XBF made a mistake when he gave the title to him, and that you are sorry, but that the club needs a secretary to maintain minutes and a history. Yes, your XBF was wrong but he has said that he isn't going to do anything about it, so it now becomes your burden if you want to change it.

As for the club? Do you still want to maintain this? It sounds as though you are pretty resentful towards your XBF for pretty much everything he is doing - talking to people about it, being a co-founder and making decisions, having someone else write the mission statement. You even seem to resent that he was a part of the club's beginnings. Is being in the club still worth all the strife that it seems to be bringing to your life?