Am I being too sensitive?

Ormolu611

I have been dating my girlfriend for a year. Things have been going well. Yesterday in an email correspondence, she copied a long email conversation to me between her and a girlfriend of hers because the last section was about plans for all of us on Friday night. Well, a little earlier in the conversation between the two of them, her friend was talking about how she was tired of the stresses of life and how she jokingly wanted to live in the woods.

Well, my girlfriend responds with this;

"Ha ha yeah me too girl.. I met this cool guy over the phone and though of you. He lives in the mountains of Pennsylvania in a custom made house with slate stone bathroom and knotty pine ceiling and a loft on 5 acres with apple trees that bear cubs play in. single and never married.. sounds like a dream and looking for a wife to hike with.. loves to travel.. has a lot of money as a mechanical contracter.. hmmm.. even I thought about it!! Lol"

She works on the phone selling stuff to contractors. So, later in the conversation, she tells her friend that she will try to get the guy to send a picture. I think I am really sensitive because I have not been making very much money lately because I am in real estate and the market sucks right now. Does anyone think that I am being overly sensitive? The email really bothered me and still does as I am typing this. My long term ex left me about a year and a half ago, and maybe I am still a little sensitive I guess.

• Author
You mentioned the conversation but not what bothered you. Am I missing the connection?

Well, maybe the fact that you may be missing the connection answers my question. The part that bothered me was the response of hers that I quoted. The part where she describes this "perfect" dude to her friend and then ends with the idea that she even thought about him for herself.

sweetbutcheeky

Ah I see now, true was so slight I did miss it. "hmmm.. even I thought about it!! lol"

Though I am a little surprised she left it in there when forwarding it to you.

Don't worry about it though, it was just a joke between friends. I feel she was just joking to her friend, like she was proving that she though the guy was a good catch. That she would date him herself (if she were single), not that she wanted to be with be with someone else. Hmm I hope that made sense.

Try not to let it bother you.

• Author
Ah I see now, true was so slight I did miss it. "hmmm.. even I thought about it!! lol"

Though I am a little surprised she left it in there when forwarding it to you.

Don't worry about it though, it was just a joke between friends. I feel she was just joking to her friend, like she was proving that she though the guy was a good catch. That she would date him herself (if she were single), not that she wanted to be with be with someone else. Hmm I hope that made sense.

Try not to let it bother you.

Yeah, you are probably right. Thanks for taking the time to respond sweetbutcheeky - Your opinion does make me feel better. It helps to have another set of eyes looking at a situation sometimes.

When I first read the email, my heart sank a little, I won't lie. It just reminded me somewhat of the feeling that I had when my ex left, which is a feeling that I have not had for a long time. I feel like that one little comment of hers shot through me like electricity. Thanks again for your input.

sweetbutcheeky
Yeah, you are probably right. Thanks for taking the time to respond sweetbutcheeky - Your opinion does make me feel better. It helps to have another set of eyes looking at a situation sometimes.

When I first read the email, my heart sank a little, I won't lie. It just reminded me somewhat of the feeling that I had when my ex left, which is a feeling that I have not had for a long time. I feel like that one little comment of hers shot through me like electricity. Thanks again for your input.

Your welcome, I understand how another set of eyes can help. My heart probably would have sank a little too, would be hard for anyone to read their their partner thought about someone else. But it depends on the context because of course every day we all see people who we think are attractive or have a great personality, but it doesn't mean that we want to be with them.

I think you're being a little overly sensitive. Maybe you could lightly joke to her that you bet he's nowhere near as good looking as you are. And then give her a roguish wink.