Promise Rings Vs Engagement Rings

Bells

I read another post in here about a woman getting a promise ring. She stated.

A promise ring is given to your gf with the promise that you will one day give her an engagement ring.

LOL!!

A "promise that you will one day, propose marraige. Funny.

NOW there's an engagement ring before an engagement right?

Promise Ring = Fear of Commitment and I wish to delay marriage as LONG as possible. Heck, engagements are even delayed due to fear of commitment.

Sometimes when I hear about people who get engaged, then it's funny when you ask them, "SO when are you going to get married?"

He or She says, "Eh, we're in no rush" Sorry, but I don't give "Congrats" to people who don't even have a ballpark figure as to WHEN theyare getting hitched.

A "Promise Ring" even insults the whole relationship thing even further.

"Promise Rings" are so High School-ish, isn't it?

I read another post in here about a woman getting a promise ring. She stated.

LOL!!

A "promise that you will one day, propose marraige. Funny.

NOW there's an engagement ring before an engagement right?

Promise Ring = Fear of Commitment and I wish to delay marriage as LONG as possible. Heck, engagements are even delayed due to fear of commitment.

don't even have a ballpark figure as to WHEN theyare getting hitched.

A "Promise Ring" even insults the whole relationship thing even further.

"Promise Rings" are so High School-ish, isn't it?

:lmao:

Sorry, don't mean to be anything bad, but those were my EXACT thoughts.

LucreziaBorgia

Do guys even suggest them, or do they simply agree to them? Promise rings were a big deal in high school, but I don't ever recall them being any of my guy friends' ideas so much as they were their girlfriends'.

Promise rings are a hysterical concept, at least beyond the age of 15.

If you've already decided you want to spend your whole life with this person, what's the point in promising to promise to marry them? Is this just a period of deciding/saving up for the real, bigger diamond? Is it there for mental sanity purposes – a time set aside to really let it sink in? "We're not officially together forever, but we're not NOT together forever, we're just saying we're ABOUT to officially be together forever, and we signed it with a small ring, and later we'll make it even more official that we're not yet together forever, but we want to be, with an even bigger diamond."

I mean, for my part, I'm assuming that when discussions of marriage and rings are involved, that it should be a PROPOSAL right then and there, him down on one knee and the whole shebang!

But instead, with a promise ring people seem to say, "We haven't made the commitment yet, but we're totally committed, and now you REALLY can't have him/her because I'm totally ABOUT to REALLY have him/her." Weird if you ask me.

Promise rings are a hysterical concept, at least beyond the age of 15.

If you've already decided you want to spend your whole life with this person, what's the point in promising to promise to marry them? Is this just a period of deciding/saving up for the real, bigger diamond? Is it there for mental sanity purposes – a time set aside to really let it sink in? "We're not officially together forever, but we're not NOT together forever, we're just saying we're ABOUT to officially be together forever, and we signed it with a small ring, and later we'll make it even more official that we're not yet together forever, but we want to be, with an even bigger diamond."

I mean, for my part, I'm assuming that when discussions of marriage and rings are involved, that it should be a PROPOSAL right then and there, him down on one knee and the whole shebang!

But instead, with a promise ring people seem to say, "We haven't made the commitment yet, but we're totally committed, and now you REALLY can't have him/her because I'm totally ABOUT to REALLY have him/her." Weird if you ask me.

Lol, yes, so high school SG. This whole ring discussiion cracks me up though. I told the rwo bfs that I came closest to being engaged too, that I didn't even want a ring. The three "c" s of diamonds mean nothing to me. I would much rather a guy spend that kind of money on a trip for us or somehing like that. With the boyfriend I came closest to that too, we decided that he would buy me a locket, and put our baby pics in it.