Does talking through facebook seem desperate?

So there's a girl that works at a local restaurant here in town that I would love to go on a date with. She's very pretty and nice. She always says hi to me when my family and I go out to eat. She always talks to my stepdad and picks at him when we are in there. She is on my facebook friend list. She recently broke up with her boyfriend and I would love to get a date with this girl.

I know she's out of my league probably, but I was just thinking of sending her a message on facebook. I'm just lost on what I would say. All we've ever really said to each other was "hi" back and forth. I also don't want to seem "desperate" or whatever. What are some good suggestions? I don't really like asking girls out in front of my parents, but I may would have to end up doing that. Suggestions?

Why not start off by sending her a message saying "Hey you, how are things? How is work?" It's just a simple harmless way to start a conversation- and then you can assess the answer you get from her and go from there.

Starting up a mundane dialogue is harmless- you're not setting yourself up for rejection that way, but it's a means to getting the ball rolling.

Exchange a couple friendly e-mails and then see if you get a vibe from her with regard to asking her on a date.