Stalker?

How much is TOO much for someone to know about you without having been told by you?

Would it be any worse to you if the person pretended not to know certain things, and then accidentally let on that he knew a lot more than he initially implied?

Such as: where you live (exactly), and family information that he couldn't know unless he knew you, your family, or asked around.

Has anyone been in such a situation, at either end?

Arise_Serpentor

that sounds like a big sneak! you don't want someone like that!?!

Maybe they talked to a friend of yours and they blabbed! Sometimes stuff you say in private gets blabbed to someone else and thus you have no privacy!!!

Happened to me!?! All my embarrassing dark secrets i hear from someone else in ridicule!?!? disgusting! cut this person out of your life!?! NOW!

It depends on the info. These days you can never be too careful about people. So it's probably a good idea to google someone and find out what you can about them.

• Author
that sounds like a big sneak! you don't want someone like that!?!

Maybe they talked to a friend of yours and they blabbed! Sometimes stuff you say in private gets blabbed to someone else and thus you have no privacy!!!

Happened to me!?! All my embarrassing dark secrets i hear from someone else in ridicule!?!? disgusting! cut this person out of your life!?! NOW!

I've had associates or old friends from school come up to me with gossip they heard, which was rarely ever true, so I know how that goes.

But what was so weird about this was the falsehood. First it was one of those "so do you live in this area" sort of questions, and then I told him the general area I lived in. Some time later he guessed the street, and posed it as a questions, as if I had told him before. Like "You live on State St., right?" I wouldn't have been too surprised if he knew that, as he has seen me out with my children, but he pretended not to know that I have children.

Long story shorter, I sort of suspected that he knew where I lived, so, I didn't tell him which address, house, or block. When I didn't say anything as we were getting closer to my house, he (on his own) started to pull over, and stopped in front of my house. And then asked where I lived. I didn't say anything, I just pointed. He started telling me that he knew someone who lived on my block. So I figured maybe it was understandable that he would know. I thought it was odd that he wasn't forth coming about it, but I just assumed he didn't want to seem creepy.

And then, after asking me a number of questions about my children, he makes a comment about my oldest son. And there's no way in the world he could have made that comment based on the little I said, considering he gave me the "Oh, you have children?" five minutes before hand.

I know people talk, they see you around, dadada, so I guess I just thought it was weird that he would try to hide something so little as knowing that I had children. Why lie? We have no mutual friends, but we have a couple of mutual associates. (No one I talk to regularly or anything like that.)

I figure he just didn't want to seem creepy, but my friends seem to think I have a stalker on my hands.

I figure he just didn't want to seem creepy, but my friends seem to think I have a stalker on my hands.
It could also be a power play albeit a creepy one.

Do you know where he lives?

• Author
It could also be a power play albeit a creepy one.

Do you know where he lives?

Hmm, what type of power play?

I know where he lives now because he told me. Before that, I suspected a general area, but I didn't know for sure.

Hmm, what type of power play?

He is letting you know he has 'ways' in case you should ever decide to pull a fast one over on him. Basically, his message is don't even try it.

I know where he lives now because he told me. Before that, I suspected a general area, but I didn't know for sure.
Well, at least you are even now!
  • Author
He is letting you know he has 'ways' in case you should ever decide to pull a fast one over on him. Basically, his message is don't even try it.

Don't even try what?! Makes no sense. A fast one of what?

Don't even try what?! Makes no sense. A fast one of what?
This is a general message. I am sure you have done nothing and most likely wouldn't. The nature of this power play is establishing limits up front.

Are you sure you are not being overly paranoid?

I have ran into women like that as well. joking with them makes it all even funnier.

As an example, you can be online and ask a woman "What part of town do you live in". I live in a big city, so this makes sense to ask.

Some women will say "Why.. Why". Like I am planning on stalking them. or they just say "south side" . This is just a small example, but some women are just scared and paranoid.

Cheshire Cat
I know people talk, they see you around, dadada, so I guess I just thought it was weird that he would try to hide something so little as knowing that I had children. Why lie?

I wonder whether some ex fiancee of his lied to him about having children, and disclosed such a piece of information only when the relationship had progressed.

I agree that his behaviour sounds a tad stalkerish, but there is a little chance he is just a guy who has been given a false name, a false address or false information and is now testing all potential partners.

• Author
I wonder whether some ex fiancee of his lied to him about having children, and disclosed such a piece of information only when the relationship had progressed.

I agree that his behaviour sounds a tad stalkerish, but there is a little chance he is just a guy who has been given a false name, a false address or false information and is now testing all potential partners.

That could make sense too I guess. Then again, I don't know. I said "My son blah blah blah" and he said "Oh you have kids?! :)" And continued to ask questions about them.

In any event, I wanted to ask other people because you know how friends can be.

Are you sure you are not being overly paranoid?

I have ran into women like that as well. joking with them makes it all even funnier.

As an example, you can be online and ask a woman "What part of town do you live in". I live in a big city, so this makes sense to ask.

Some women will say "Why.. Why". Like I am planning on stalking them. or they just say "south side" . This is just a small example, but some women are just scared and paranoid.

Well, I've met some weirdos in my day, and so no... I don't think I'm being paranoid at all. I'm not worried about walking in on him rummaging through my underwear or anything. It's just that my friends think I need to invest in a stun gun or larger dog. I didn't meet him on line, and if I had then it would be really weird if he knew where I lived or about my children. I just wanted outside opinions on how people felt about certain things in general, after getting an "OOOOMG, that guy is nuts" comment when I told the story to a friend... again.

It could be that the guy was joking, but if he was I obviously missed it. :confused:

So, since you sound like one who has been mistaken for a stalker lol, what have been your reasons for lying and such, if you have.

• Author
This is a general message. I am sure you have done nothing and most likely wouldn't. The nature of this power play is establishing limits up front.

I could see it as intimidation if there were cause. But I guess since I see no cause, in this particular case, then it's hard for me to see one wanting to establish any sort of limits up front. Not for any healthy individual, at least. I could see that in the case of prior conflicts or something.

But thanks for your thoughts. :)