When people break up, they aren't AS broken hearted

HiItsMe

There is more to the title....but there's something I've noticed. It seems in this day in age, people don't place much value in relationships.

I've seen posts where women have boyfriends that seem to not display much enthusiasm for them...and vice versa with women vs men.

Sometimes when people break up...they are pretty much mentally prepared for it. They are like "oh well, that's life" and don't let it bother them.

Even with Divorces, some take them lightly. Its like people have MENTALLY prepared themselves for breakups, even divorces. It's like they are "ready" for it at all times.

I mean, think about it....we are more closer to our families than some strange person we started dating, right?

Not sure if you understand what I'm getting at. Some even go into it with the attitude, if he or she dumps me...no big deal...I at least enjoyed the time we had together....think of it that way. The attitude had become more cavelier these days.

No more days of when the woman was depressed for 3 straight days when the guy that asked her out, never called her, when she was waiting by the phone. People don't get as "depressed" as they used to , EVEN if they were the ones being dumped.

I guess they figure it's more healthy that way?

One reason could be that people get into relationships/marriages already (mentally) prepared for breakups/divorces, hence they end up guarding their feelings thoughout the entire time of the relationship.

And as for them being not as broken-hearted as they should be during the time of the breakup, it's because they had already mentally broken up with their partners like months before the actual break-up takes place. So mentally, they've gone through the whole process of hurting, depression, accepting and healing, way before the actual breakup takes place.

Trialbyfire

So...explain to me why it's better to sit and be depressed for 3 straight days, if a guy doesn't call for a second date? That makes no sense unless the girl has overly-invested after the first date. This I would call seriously unhealthy behaviour.

As for people being uncommitted, it's individual reliant. I do agree that the words "forever" and "marriage", no longer go hand-in-hand.

• Author
So...explain to me why it's better to sit and be depressed for 3 straight days, if a guy doesn't call for a second date? That makes no sense unless the girl has overly-invested after the first date. This I would call seriously unhealthy behaviour.

As for people being uncommitted, it's individual reliant. I do agree that the words "forever" and "marriage", no longer go hand-in-hand.

Well, this was back during my parents generation....women used to be more broken up about guys not "calling" when they said they would.

I don't agree with this one bit. I get "depressed" over things that happen or when a relationship doesn't work out. I've been through several break ups or relationships that just aren't right and everytime I'm hurt or sad about the situation...well, most of the time. There are times when I've ended things and didn't really feel upset because I knew they weren't the right person for me. I think in today's age we know there will be someone else that comes along. Especially with today's communication, meaning that it's easier to meet new people that it used to be. A long time ago you had fewer options, you dated people that lived in your town or near by but today you can meet people all over the world online. I think people today date more to find that one person that's right for them and when you've gone through more than one break up it gets a little easier to deal with each time. Not that you mentally prepare yourself from the begining but you've grown mentally and are able to cope with things better.

confused and broken

I have been through a lot of really HARSH broken hearts, and I personally don't think people use to suffer more or that I'm immune... I think there are players and always have been, but lots of us still feel

Man I want some of that immunity

I think in today's age we know there will be someone else that comes along. Especially with today's communication, meaning that it's easier to meet new people that it used to be.

I think the grass is greener where you water it. A lot of people don't feel this way. Too many people use online dating sites to "order" up a boyfriend or girlfriend, and they just figure when things don't go 100% smoothly it's easier to throw in the towel and move on to someone new, rather than put in effort and work into a real relationship where they've invested something. It's all very sad, really.