What is with women's warped perception of the average height of males?

Lately I have been talking to a lot of women online, and even have met a few, and it seems like damn near every one of them say that I'm very short, especially for a black male (based on my height listed in my profile, I'm 5'9").

Like I said, nearly every woman I talk to says something along these lines. Why is it that women have the perception that 5'9" is short? Looking at wikipedia, the average height in the US is 5'9", with the average black male's height being 5'10". If 5'9" was "very short", why am I at the average? :rolleyes:

I don't care about my height at all (especially since it's something you have zero control over), but it doesn't stop it from being annoying when nearly every women considers me "short" when in fact I am average by definition.

The funny thing is all of these women are considerably shorter than me. I had one woman complain about my height and she was 5"0" :rolleyes:

some shorter women want someone taller than them for some reason. but i dont think 5'9 is short, thats kindof odd for them to say it is.

i could see if they were taller than u and called you short.

im 5'6 and would only date someone who was taller than me preferably 5'8-6'5 my current beau is 6ft so that to me is like the perfect height.

we like what we like, some dont see it is a big issue, some do.

serial muse
Lately I have been talking to a lot of women online, and even have met a few, and it seems like damn near every one of them say that I'm very short, especially for a black male (based on my height listed in my profile, I'm 5'9").

Like I said, nearly every woman I talk to says something along these lines. Why is it that women have the perception that 5'9" is short? Looking at wikipedia, the average height in the US is 5'9", with the average black male's height being 5'10". If 5'9" was "very short", why am I at the average? :rolleyes:

I don't care about my height at all (especially since it's something you have zero control over), but it doesn't stop it from being annoying when nearly every women considers me "short" when in fact I am average by definition.

The funny thing is all of these women are considerably shorter than me. I had one woman complain about my height and she was 5"0" :rolleyes:

Well, I think that's a very rude thing for them to say, to begin with. :mad: I don't blame you for being pissed off.

But also, I agree with you. 5'9" is not "very short." I know it's probably not much comfort, but at least it's a weeding-out process. You wouldn't have wanted to date them anyway.

5'9" isn't short! I'm 5'3" and that's the perfect height for me. :)

The last guy I dated was 6'0", and let me tell you, standing on my tippy toes everytime we kissed got a bit tiresome.

I'll admit though, I wouldn't want to date a guy who was around my height though...

Cherry Blossom 35

I think it's really crappy for women to complain about height or penis size. It's not fair, because it is totally out of their control. And why would anyone actually voice their opinion to the man? So not cool.

• Author
I think it's really crappy for women to complain about height or penis size. It's not fair, because it is totally out of their control. And why would anyone actually voice their opinion to the man? So not cool.

I totally agree, not sure why women (mainly online, haven't had this experience IRL) feel the need to do this.

In chat conversations I've had many women say something like this:

"Your pretty cute, but wow you're pretty short aren't you?"

And this comes from women who are 5'4"

Cherry Blossom 35
I totally agree, not sure why women (mainly online, haven't had this experience IRL) feel the need to do this.

In chat conversations I've had many women say something like this:

"Your pretty cute, but wow you're pretty short aren't you?"

And this comes from women who are 5'4"

Because online dating is like online shopping. You just click on what you want and add it to your cart. Instead of ordering a sweater in small, medium, or large, you are ordering a person small, medium, or large, haha!

I don't get how 5'9 is short though. When I think a man is short it usually when they are 5'6, 5'7, or shorter.

You'll forget that the average height for males under 25 will be taller.

Also women like tall men, hot women, as with all things sex related, have the ability to pick and chose.

20% of women are hot.. and 20% of men are over 6 foot.

melodymatters
You'll forget that the average height for males under 25 will be taller.

Also women like tall men, hot women, as with all things sex related, have the ability to pick and chose.

20% of women are hot.. and 20% of men are over 6 foot.

LOL ! But that DOES explain my fetish for men 6' or so, while being a shade over 5' myself !

But I agree with the poster above who said a cool, fun guy with confidence will get em every time. One of my "forvever loves", (we plan to end up togther when we're very old), is only 5"6 to 5'8.

...And don't forget the other thing BOTH genders lie about : age !:laugh:

I am 5'7"- so 5'9" and above is good for me. Anything under that and I will be taller when I wear heels. My reasoning behind wanting a guy who is taller than me is that I don't want to appear "bigger" than he is... SO essentially- it's my own body perception that I think about.

5'9" is fine!

5'9" is the minimum.. really.. I prefer tall guys.. 6'-6'2"

I am 5'2" .. it's only a matter of preference I guess...

I bet you have some preference for a woman.. ;)

imbewildered

[quote=Linux;1702566

Yes is does not make any sense does it . The next time one of those RUDE women makes a crack about your height (as if it were a character flaw) ASk her what she weighs, or if you know say " You quite fat aren't you ? "

Tit for tat ?

LonelyVocalist

Believe me, I understand what you mean. I'm a mere 5'5" at the most. All kinds of women have rejected me based on height alone. When it comes to height, I can find both tall and petite women sexy in their own ways, however they have the gall to call ME the shallow one due to the fact I won't just settle for ANY woman, and have high standards. It seems to be another case of the assassains punishing the murderers.

Well, to be fair, the women are a bit nicer than some of the guys are, surprisingly: a lot of meatheaded guys have called me a "midget". Yeah, I actually chose the height I have 'cause I like the sympathy I get from being miserable. Friggin jerkholes.

Unfortunately, most women want tall men. Think "TALL, dark and handsome", and tall is mentioned first.

I am 6'2'' and prefer women around 5'6'' to 5'9", however, I get a lot of petite women who want to go out with a tallish guy like me.

Nevertheless, there are a lot of great women out there with shorter guys; a good friend of mine is 5'5'' and his hot GF is about an inch shorter.

So, I think you should be fine.:)

CHeers,

How did I make a woman, at least four inches taller than me, feel sexual chemistry for me when she didn't feel it (see it) from the get go?

I'm pretty sure it was the natural scent of my skin that smelled good (masculine) to her.

The tricky part is getting close enough for the woman to feel your scent. Remember, she might not feel chemistry at this point and will therefore likely feel ambivalent, at best, about being so close to someone she hasn't decided she likes yet.

Maybe I'm off here but I think for a good number of women, the man only needs to display only two or three, clear masculine characteristics for him to remain a contender. Although height is the most obvious masculine characteristic, there are others: Physical strength, facial & body hair, deeper voice, angular face & body (fat makes the angular male body look less masculine).

Trialbyfire

I can't help but state this again. No one person is universally attractive. Why resent someone else's preference? Are you attracted to obese women?

This topic comes up from time to time.

I am 5'6", but ALWAYS in heels. Heels like 3" - 5". So, yeah. No short dudes for me, and that means no one under 6'. I'm just not attracted to shorter men.

But, like Trial said, it's all personal preference, right? I am sure many men would prefer a blonde over my brunette locks, or perhaps a small busted woman (which the Bean is not). Just personal taste, and nothing more.

I agree, 5'9 is not really short. I can say though, at 5'5 I like a guy to be at least 5'9, for some reason much less makes me feel like my size is bigger then what it is :laugh::laugh:

endlesstrains

I'm not one to reject people based simply off their height but I am rarely attracted to men shorter than I am (and I am 5'7 or 5'8) so... 5'9 is cutting it a little close. My current boyfriend is about 6 feet. It's a good height, smaller men make me feel like I am overly large for a woman which of course is an uncomfortable feeling. With a guy who is taller and bigger in stature I feel more feminine. I imagine that's part of the reason women prefer taller men but some of it maybe is just being picky or social conditioning. I would think 5'9 would be tall enough for a girl who just breaks 5 feet...

Cherry Blossom 35
Thanks. :laugh:

I suppose us small men have small Sausage too. The girl I'm interested in and I am sure is interested in me is taller than me, what's the common thought on a taller woman, shorter man combination?

I didn't say I wouldn't go out with a short guy, cuz I would! :laugh:

And my experience is that a lot of smaller guys have bigger schlongs. ;)