Do men like to be called sweetie, honey, baby?

pisces fish

Just wondering, I call my boyfriend of a month and a half that (he is 48 years old.)

He calls me Sweetheart only. do guys secretly cringe when their girlfriend calls them sweetie?

• Author

He has already said "I love you" (i haven't stated it back yet.) Plus we are intimate now and exclusive? It wasn't that deep of a question, though, lol. Just wondering if guys in general like to be called those things.

Starting the 4th date my bf called me 'sweetie' while I just called him by his name. About 3 weeks in after we became official, I started to call my bf 'baby' and nothing else. He still called me 'sweetie' a few more times but for some reason stopped and now he only calls me 'baby' as well! Really weird how he copied me haha. We've been dating 2 months.

And yea, somehow I think it's too much to call my bf 'sweetie'...like yea I think he'd cringe. Same with honey...too sweet. I like baby.

I wouldnt say all guys. Everyone is different. I personally dont mind it. Usually when you use pet names it a sign of affection. If you have doubts you should ask him. He is 48. He probably doesnt play games so I would say he probably doesnt mind.

Call him whatever you want, as long as it's not Poopsie or arsehole...;)

Sometimes you have to call it like it is.

AriaIncognito
Sometimes you have to call it like it is.

Some men don't mind being called arsehole LOL

:-)

I have called most bfs by a pet name like baby or honey. I dont think they've minded it, as most turned into something long term. I think guys secretly like it as much as we do.

I want to find a girl with the same name as me. That way I could shout out my own name during sex, and not just because I'm used to jerking off.

What I want to know is... do you recycle pet names?

My ex and I called each other "Honey" and I think it'd be painful to use that name for anyone else.

AriaIncognito
What I want to know is... do you recycle pet names?

My ex and I called each other "Honey" and I think it'd be painful to use that name for anyone else.

usually by the time I allow myself to be in another relationship I'm able to detach the pet name if it's a generic one like honey or baby.

so yeah, i recycle.

:-)

Citizen Erased

I call my bf sweetness atm. Too bad for him if he doesn't like it :p

I think it is only an issue for them if you do it in front of their family or friends. Then it is kind of weird.

I call my SO "Suge" (short for sugar) or "Bubba". But TBH, being southern I call almost everyone "sweetie, sugar, or honey". Bubba is reserved for my SO and small babies, though. I know, I'm weird.

I call my BF sweetie, honey, babe. He doesn't seem to mind.

And I do recycle names - but it's typically years between my important relationships so it's not like two weeks later I'm calling a new man sweetie.

For what it's worth, when I do call my BF a pet name, it's a natural, almost unconscious thing: not some pre-planned, dating status type thing - like thinking "oh, now we're officially BF/GF so I will start using pet names."

He calls me Sweetheart only. do guys secretly cringe when their girlfriend calls them sweetie?

Kind of.. I guess at 6 weeks he most likely is thinking.. "cool".. but I hope she changes that phrase..

My ex wife always used this term of endearment with me " Mother Effing Cheap Prick ".. or to change things up she would also say " Mother Effing Arshole "..

so I guess sweetie would have been pretty good to me :)

Blue Eyed Brain

I don't use pet names unless something is intimate to me regarding the person. Once I use it and he likes it; I will use it all the time - to remind him that he is special and appreciated.

I don't mind a pet name if it has meaning behind it. I suppose if an ex called me sweetie, and then my wife called me sweetie, it would not be special.

However, personally, I do not like sweetie or hun or honey. These are terms that waitresses like to use.(" Uh, excuse me....I don't think I am your sweetie, or are you interested in me? Oh, that's right...if you sweet talk me, I may tip you better." :rolleyes: ) Unless they come from someone who means it, they are actually degrading to me.

I don't mind a pet name if it has meaning behind it. I suppose if an ex called me sweetie, and then my wife called me sweetie, it would not be special.

However, personally, I do not like sweetie or hun or honey. These are terms that waitresses like to use.(" Uh, excuse me....I don't think I am your sweetie, or are you interested in me? Oh, that's right...if you sweet talk me, I may tip you better." :rolleyes: ) Unless they come from someone who means it, they are actually degrading to me.

Ouch! Good thing you don't live in the south, honey. :laugh:

Ouch! Good thing you don't live in the south, honey. :laugh:

I have been there on vacations a number of times...and yes, I noticed that "term of endearment" being used freely. :rolleyes::laugh: At first I thought all of those southern belles were enamored by northern masculinity and charm...until they called my wife honey also. :eek: Then I figured the southern women must have higher libidos. :D After my thoughts went wild, my wife told me to calm down and not act so much like I never left Michigan before. :laugh: