Major Blunder with young lady - !

Balthazar

Hi to all!. My first post here and I hope somebody can help. I am back into the dating pool after a long-term relationship went sour but I am having problems adjusting.

Last Saturday I went to a theatrical play that my amateur theater group was putting on. I used to be in the group up until last year and still maintain a good relationship with many of the people there. After the play, I was invited to join some of the members of the group at a local restaurant. Now I am 37, but most of the girls(classmates since school they told me) at the table were about 25-26. As I arrived a bit late,a friend(Kelly-35 years old) motioned me to sit next to her. I couldn't get to that spot easily though, so I sat opposite her, next to a very pretty young woman called Sophie(I had first met Sophie about 3 years ago when her friend Georgia joined the theater group and I had invited them to a party of mine; they came and I had chatted with Sophie but nothing else noteworthy happened).

Sophie(26 years old now) had never been a member of our theater group, but as she was close friends Georgia, I would see her on and off the least 3 years.

That Saturday night, Georgia was also at the table with her boyfriend. Sophie was alone and was(I felt) looking a bit run down.

During the night I chatted with both ladies, but Kelly seemed more into me(I think she is sorta attracted to me, but I see her only as a friend)and kept telling me to loosen my tie, raise my sleeves, stuff like that. Sophie seemed bothered by the attention I was getting from Kelly. At some point I bummed a cigarette from Sophie, and she asked me how old I was. I answered I was 37, but (playfully) added that I may be lying. She looked at Kelly, but Kelly was not saying a word, so Sophie got a bit worked up trying to figure my age out. She said I looked younger that 37, and I replied "maybe, I am; then again, maybe I'm 42 or 43..."

I know it sounds a bit immature, but I was drinking fine wine(nice buzz, not drunk!) and was in a playful mood.

However, Sophie gets angry and says I am making fun of her, stating she would not be speaking to me any more that evening.

I thought she was just joking around, but when I tried to bum another cigarette from her she refused(I got one from Kelly instead).I get a bit pissed off, but decide to respect her wishes and not speak to her either.

Anyway, I proceed to converse pleasantly with Kelly, more or less ignoring Sophie. Towards the end of the night, while getting ready to leave, Kelly sees me putting on my tie , and urges me to keep it off, saying it looks less formal that way. Sophie, who had not said a word to me, glares at her and advises her to stop giving me advise on my attire. Later , Sophie says goodnight to me and Kelly; I just look at her direction, not saying a word. We meet again outside a few minutes later(the whole group had gathered out) and she says goodbye to everyone, sneaking a look at me, but again I barely acknowledge her.

Question: Does Sophie's behaviour show any signs of attraction towards me or is it just my imagination?

Did I possibly overreact to her "I am not talking to you line?"

Should I have just tried to charm my way through it? Was she just being playful, which due to my rusty dating mind, I could not see?

I like this young lady, and I think I will see her again soon. How do I patch things up? She may have said what she said playfully that evening, but my behaviour afterwards that night either pissed her off, or made her think I was really pissed off at her.

How should I handle the situation to ,maybe, go on a date with her?

Finally, I don't really look much at age differences;Was her statement that I looked younger a sign that she doesn't either? Should I take it positively or not?

Lengthy long post, I know, but thanks for any help.

Question: Does Sophie's behaviour show any signs of attraction towards me or is it just my imagination?

Did I possibly overreact to her "I am not talking to you line?"

Should I have just tried to charm my way through it? Was she just being playful, which due to my rusty dating mind, I could not see?

I like this young lady, and I think I will see her again soon. How do I patch things up? She may have said what she said playfully that evening, but my behaviour afterwards that night either pissed her off, or made her think I was really pissed off at her.

How should I handle the situation to ,maybe, go on a date with her?

Finally, I don't really look much at age differences;Was her statement that I looked younger a sign that she doesn't either? Should I take it positively or not?

Lengthy long post, I know, but thanks for any help.

Hi & Welcome.

Sounds like quite the night! I believe that Sophie does seem attracted to you, and seemed to be putting out a bit of jealousy towards kelly. I think the not talking to her line wasn't the best move. I would have down played it and admitted the real age at that point, and attempt to continue conversing, it's possible that the playfulness wasn't picked up on. Next time you see her, you could try apologizing for your previous actions, and tell her you'd like to make it up to her. That's a pretty direct approach to asking for a date, though, it could work.

I would take her saying 'you look younger' as a complement, but not as a sign that it doesn't bother her. It's impossible to know that, since she doesn't really know how old you are, and you 2 haven't discussed it.

When everyone was outside saying good bye, I think that's when the 'not talking anymore' should have dropped and you should have said something.

She seems a bit immature.

I'm going to agree in that I think she thinks you're pissed at her. Usually the not talking to you anymore is said playfully, but without being there to see body language and tone, it's hard to tell.

best of luck :)

It sounds as if she was over reacting a bit!

Whoa... you were just kidding.

I am wondering if she thinks you and Kelly are a couple?

maybe she is confused about that?

I can honestly say that I would see her behavior as a bit immature.

If she's that reactive when you barely know her.... what would she be like if you were dating? Think about that.