LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Romantic > Dating

my boyfriend is 12 yrs younger than me

Dating Dating, courting, or going steady? Things not working out the way you had hoped? Stand up on your soap box and let us know what's going on!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th January 2007, 10:11 PM   #1

my boyfriend is 12 yrs younger than me

i am dating a man that is 12 yrs younger than me..(i'm 36, he's 24).....he is an old 24, an old soul you could call him....i'm a young 36 and do not look my age....we have a lot in common and like a lot of the same things...

he's very stable with his place and a good fulltime job and is unversity educated....we have a lot of fun together and talk for hours on end about everything and anything....we enjoy quiet moments and share great pleasure in upcoming times together....

this is also a long distance relationship (we live 50 minutes apart)...he treats me like gold, calls everyday and texts, tells me i'm beautiful and always goes out of his way for me....i've never been happier...he is everything that i look for in a man and more....i have yet to even analyze anything about the relationship....

and yes the sex is fanastic, we waited a month before we were intimate, we even fell in love with each other before the sexual part happenned.....i love him dearly and i know he loves me too....

we both want the same things in life and i would marry him tomorrow if he asked me....i feel like i have finally found what i've been searching for and can now stop looking around the corner and i know he feels the same way....

so my question is.......what are peoples opinions on older women and younger men having a relationship?....
trulycute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2007, 10:22 PM   #2
Established Member

Sweet.

I was just talking to my bf the other day about how women in their 30's should date 20 year olds so the sex drives would be closer to compatible.

Only things I've noticed as a big problem are the issues of marriage and children. Young guys aren't ready. Women in their 30's are usually feeling the time clock winding down. Causes pressure on the relationship. So, I suppose if you aren't concerned about either of those two issues, then the age difference shouldn't be a problem.

By the way, if that's you in the avatar.. you look really young. I would've never guessed you to be in your 30's.
Walk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2007, 10:32 PM   #3

Walk.......yes that is my bf and I in the display picture and thank you very much for the compliment......

actually we have talked about having children....sooner than later of course...lol...he knows i don't have all the time in the world either, he says he's ready for it though....i already have a 9 yr old but would love more....he had a long term relationship with a woman that had 2 children.....that is another thing we have in common, the fact we want to get married someday and have that family hopefully together....

and yes "this" is Sweet...
Old 12th January 2007, 10:55 PM   #4
Established Member

You love him and he loves you, you two are happy together, GO FOR IT! Don't worry what anybody else thinks. Seriously...Live your life for yourself, not by the expectations of others (friends, family etc).
whichwayisup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2007, 12:16 AM   #5
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trulycute View Post
so my question is.......what are peoples opinions on older women and younger men having a relationship?....
If you are happy and comfortable, and he is happy and comfortable, it doesn't matter what other people think about your age difference. They don't walk in your shoes, and life is a long walk; your shoes should be comfy!

Good luck in your happy future together!
Old 13th January 2007, 2:34 AM   #6
Established Member

RE:

Trulycute,

Beautiful picture. Remember, finding a man who is in-sync with you is a gift.

Love Prevailed. Savor the coming years -and be happy.

Best Wishes,
Sand&Water
Sand&Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 8:47 AM   #7
Established Member

Cool Was dating a guy 7 yrs younger than me...

Can I ask how long you have been seeing each other? I hit it off with a younger co-worker at my former workplace and we lived together for 4 months but like another poster mentioned the marriage & kids thing was not even vaguely on the cards - he's 22 and I'm 29 - we've recently broken up / are having a break. He has some issues to sort out and so our relationship couldn't progress till he does so. I'm not sure what is yet to come but if I do continue to see him on a long-term basis, I'll need to be sure in myself that if I miss out on marriage (a second time) and motherhood it, isn't something I'll particularly be crushed about. It is really energizing (sex aside) to be with a younger guy - mine brought a sense of fun to my life because I was beginning to become especially bitter and jaded about life after a divorce and string of go-nowhere relationships for the past 5 years. Who cares what people say - your happiness is what counts the most and I tell you - this little s@#t who I am having troubles with at the moment really pierced this seen-it-all, done-it-all's heart that's for sure! I miss him heaps at the moment All the best to the both of you!
freakygal78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2007, 11:34 AM   #8
Established Member

I think if both of you are fine with your relationship, then, don't pay attention to others. A friend of mine shares the same situation as yours - he is 23 and she is 36 - they are happily together but friends and the family pass comments here and there - they are all fine with. So, prepare for the best and the worst like in any other relationships.
Old 15th January 2007, 6:56 PM   #9

we've been seeing each other for a couple of months now.....we have talked about living together, getting engaged, babies, getting married--all that stuff, actually just this wknd we both agreed that if things do progress as well as they are now then the above things would obviously happen.....

he's wonderful and in my eyes gorgeous b/c of the his inside too....he's romantic and just amazes me everyday with his wisdom and knowledge...no matter where we are (whether walking together or in bed sleeping) his hand always finds mine.....he says that almost everyday he has to pinch himself b/c he can't believe that this is all real...

my mom always said i would know when "he" came along, and i "know" now.....lol..its funny too i've been engaged twice before and came close a few other times but have yet to feel this way about someone...we both agreed that the "honeymoon" stage for us will always be there and i believe that to be true.....

i feel free and alive more than i ever have before....i wish everyone could feel this way too...i wish this for everyone!....

THANK YOU to everyone who responded to me, i appreciate all the postings....you guys are great!!....some of my "friends" who i hate to say may be jealous have said that this is just a sex thing and a fling....that's offense to me and i just ignore the negativity and will make a note not to invite them to the wedding...lol...

i like the saying that someone said.."life is a long walk, make sure its a comfy one"--how true that is...
Old 15th January 2007, 7:13 PM   #10
Former Member

Quote:
I see nothing wrong with it. Just like if a 20 year old girl was dating a 32 year old man, I see nothing wrong with it because they are legally adults and can make their own descisions (others will probably dissagree with that). So you and your guy are both old enough to make your own descision.
BlueEyedSarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2007, 7:25 PM   #11
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyedSarah View Post
I see nothing wrong with it. Just like if a 20 year old girl was dating a 32 year old man, I see nothing wrong with it because they are legally adults and can make their own descisions (others will probably dissagree with that). So you and your guy are both old enough to make your own descision.
While I agree that I see nothing wrong with the original posters age and her BF's age.. Someone 20 years old cannot sign a legal document without their parents or legal guardian.. So buying a house as a couple is out.. so is buying or doing anything as a couple that requires a legal signature..

Quote:
i am dating a man that is 12 yrs younger than me..(i'm 36, he's 24).....
I personally use the 10 year rule.. growing up watching the same cartoons is a gauge that I use.. basically meaning that we have enough in common to make it thru the long haul.

At your age now though what do you think he will want out of life when you are 45 and looking older ( you cannot be ageless ) and he is 33 and starting to really look good as men seem to look more distinguished at this time ?

He will be getting the eyes from women in their 20's.. Do you think he will be the type that will stick it out for the better good ?

Last edited by Art_Critic; 15th January 2007 at 7:45 PM..
Art_Critic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2007, 8:33 PM   #12
Johnny2468

Awsome!

yea there is nothing wrong with that! You sound very happy. You are a role model to all other couples like yourself. Congradulations
Old 15th January 2007, 9:21 PM   #13

i have thought about when we are much older and i honestly can say that i have no worries about him looking at or checking out women in their 20's--he doesn't like women in their 20's now and absolulety not women his own age--just not on the same level as him...he's 24 in age but not in mind, he's much closer to the 30's.....

i think he will still think i'm hot (his words) as i get older and he falls even more in love with me....women also live longer too so i think it'll be all good....if i'm everything he wants in a woman and more then he's not going to be looking elsewhere....

btw Art Critic, love your saying, "One day someone will walk into your life and make you see why it never worked out with anyone else"..so very very true

Last edited by trulycute; 15th January 2007 at 9:24 PM..
Old 15th January 2007, 9:27 PM   #14
Established Member

Quote:
i have thought about when we are much older and i honestly can say that i have no worries about him looking at or checking out women in their 20's--he doesn't like women in their 20's now and absolulety not women his own age--just not on the same level as him...he's 24 in age but not in mind, he's much closer to the 30's.....

i think he will still think i'm hot (his words) as i get older and he falls even more in love with me....women also live longer too so i think it'll be all good....if i'm everything he wants in a woman and more then he's not going to be looking elsewhere....
You have only been dating him a couple of months and it is a LDR.. You can't fully know what he is really like or what he will be like in the future ?.. You don't even know him yet...

Just spend your time getting to know him right now..Don't worry about your age.. and by all means keep your eyes open.. you already are looking at your relationship thru rose colored glasses.
I'm not saying you guys aren't meant to be together.. just give it time..You both have a whole life time that you have lived before meeting to show each other all about..

Last edited by Art_Critic; 15th January 2007 at 9:31 PM..
Old 15th January 2007, 9:32 PM   #15
Established Member

Quote:
love your saying, "One day someone will walk into your life and make you see why it never worked out with anyone else"..so very very true
Thanks.. I think it is soooo true too..

Good Luck with your guy..and don't worry about the age.. 12 years isn't that much of a gap that it won't work out...