Meeting the parents on our 2nd date?!?!?

Hi all -

Just looking for some outside opinions. As background I am 26.

I met an awesome guy a few weeks ago, our first real date was a week and a half ago. We have hit it off like you wouldn't believe, we talk on the phone daily for over an hour, and it's just very comfortable already, which is unusual for me, I am usually very shy but there's something about him. We had plans to do something this weekend, and he called me an invited me to a family party.

I was pretty taken aback by this, obviously....meeting the parents usually takes a few months at least, right?!?!? He sort of said that he had to go anyways, and he wanted to see me, so why didn't I just come. So it was a pretty casual invitation, I guess....but for gods sake this is Meeting The Parents.

So I went, I met 4 generations of his family, long-time friends, pretty much everybody. Despite my nervousness, I had an absolute blast. Really, I hung out with his family all night and it was so fun.

We haven't had an exclusivity talk or anything, but his family consistently referred to me as his girlfriend. The first time it happened I practically spit out my drink (girlfriend?!?!? really??) but he didn't correct anyone.

My girlfriends think this guy has fallen head over heels for me. I'm starting to think so too, but I don't want to get my hopes up...

Any opinions? Would any guys out there actually do this unless you were relatively serious about a girl?

noforgiveness

he would never take you to a party of four generations of his family if he didn't think very highly of you.

Sounds wonderful. Peoples family tell a lot about them. It is a very postive sign that you had such a great tie with them.

Enjoy it and stop second guessing it. It's real.

he might just be a family type of guy and would have invited any girl he had been dating to meet his family.

Not that taking you along didn't mean anything...certainly he wouldn't have taken you if he didn't like you...but he probably did want to spend time with you and maybe he thought you would have fun, too. If he's tight with his family, he probably saw it as a fun 'date'.

Family introductions mean more to some people than others.

An ex-boyfriend of mine, who was 40 at the time, had only ever taken one other woman back east to meet his folks - in over 15 years. I met his family after we'd been dating a year and a half. The man I'm dating now, I've been dating for 3.5 months, and he invited me to meet his family for Thanksgiving. It sounds as if he's taken other women to meet his family over the years, and that it's not always indicative of a serious 'thang'.

Me, it's a pretty big deal for me to introduce a guy to my family, friends and/or co-workers.

Don't make more of it than it is but take it as a sign that he likes you.

Enjoy!

Hi all -

I met an awesome guy a few weeks ago, our first real date was a week and a half ago. We have hit it off like you wouldn't believe, we talk on the phone daily for over an hour, and it's just very comfortable already, which is unusual for me, I am usually very shy but there's something about him. We had plans to do something this weekend, and he called me an invited me to a family party.

I was pretty taken aback by this, obviously....meeting the parents usually takes a few months at least, right?!?!? He sort of said that he had to go anyways, and he wanted to see me, so why didn't I just come. quote]

You're comparing Apples and Oranges. The couple of month's rule doesn't apply to guys in general. Your applying a "girl" rule to a guy, he's not doing the same.

This is what it means, and all that it means~

He's obligated to attend a family function, he wants to see and spend time with you ~ why not?

Hi all -

I was pretty taken aback by this, obviously....meeting the parents usually takes a few months at least, right?!?!? He sort of said that he had to go anyways, and he wanted to see me, so why didn't I just come. So it was a pretty casual invitation, I guess....but for gods sake this is Meeting The Parents.

So I went, I met 4 generations of his family, long-time friends, pretty much everybody. Despite my nervousness, I had an absolute blast. Really, I hung out with his family all night and it was so fun.

We haven't had an exclusivity talk or anything, but his family consistently referred to me as his girlfriend. The first time it happened I practically spit out my drink (girlfriend?!?!? really??) but he didn't correct anyone.

My girlfriends think this guy has fallen head over heels for me. I'm starting to think so too, but I don't want to get my hopes up...

Any opinions? Would any guys out there actually do this unless you were relatively serious about a girl?

You've written all of this about this one date, and I and most guys I know would write " " about it. We wouldn't think anything of it! It does not mean the two of your are serious.

There's a story that making the rounds about a guy and his girl riding around. She's thinking about using the "L" word, and where they're at in their relationship, and how much does he mean to her, and how much does she mean to him, and does he think about me when we're not together, etc. In the story her interal dialog goes on and on and on for pages, and at the end the whole time he's been thinking ~ "Ive got to get the oil changed in my car. Should I use PennsOil or Vavoliene! Maybe QuakerState. Should I use real oil or synthethic?

Its not that the guy doesn't care about the girl, its just that we don't spend our every waking moment doing all of this obssessing, and over analysising. We assume if we're together ~ all is right between us, and all is well!

There within lies the crux of the problem. Women sit around doing all this over-analytical crap about the relationship, and men assume that in so long as we're together everything is fine and hunky-dorey. Then we men are stunned, lost, dazed and confused when we wake up one fine Sunday morning and you ladies tell us, "Its over!" And, we're sitting there like little boys on the curb with our pants down around our ankles, crying, begging, pleading, having just had our azz's handed to us, saying to oursleves WTF?

The best thing that you can do in this situation is to communicate!

"Hey! Whoa! I understand that the invite meant this to you as a Dude, but this is what it means to most women!" You would be doing him a favor by giving him a clue!