Lost Communication Phase - How Long Does it Take?

flyingspaghetti

flyingspaghetti

Has anyone experienced a phase in a certain friendship where your friend has "lost interest" in talking to you and has gone through a phase of not wanting to communicate with the person? Or, have you been the friend who has "lost interest" in talking with the other person and has gone through a phase of not wanting to communicate with you?

How long, on average, does it take until the other person regained interest? Do you think that not talking with your friend or being pushy will help or worsen the situation?

I've known my best friend since I was 4. I'm 32 now. She's basically my sister. At times, we've hung out with each other nearly every single day. At other times, we've grown apart and rarely talked to each other for months on end. However, we've ALWAYS been there for one another when we really needed each other. Neither one of us take things personally. We both know that in order to keep our friendship, sometimes we need to be distant a little.

If you FEEL there's a problem, then talk to your friend. If you feel there's an ugly tension, then talk to her and find out if there really is a problem. Honest communication prevents resentment. But if you two have just not communicated in a while, I wouldnt take it personally. Sometimes people get too caught up in their own lives that they lose touch with the people who are very important to them. Not intentionally, it just happens.

sometimes friendships just drift apart, its part of life...

people change as well, they may want to extend their friendship 'group' and start talking to others more than they would with you. but it doesn't mean that they hate you or anything, unless you did something to piss them off...

i'm actually in a bit of the same situation, a friend and i went from talking about pretty much anything to just making small talk whenever we're stuck together, sometimes we don't even say hello when we walk past each other. We actually had a little 'dispute' a while back, but we sorted it out since then and i guess that changed us a bit.

but to answer your question... how long it lasts is up to you not talking with them will only make it worse, just start off asking how they've been lately or something, or invite them somewhere to catch up, but like dgiirl said, they can get too caught up in their life that they lose touch with others. It doesn't mean that they meant to stop talking to you.

I had a best friend in high school who I lost communication with after I graduated college. We just touched base again.....after nearly ten years of not talking!

Sometimes it just happens. People get busy with life. They drift apart. You find you have less in common, or just not enough time to make the efforts to stay in touch.

It's not always a 'lost interest' thing. Sometimes it's just a 'life' thing.

I would try to communicate with your friend about your concerns. If you can't get a straight answer out of him/her, try not to push it.

The same thing has happened to me. My best friend through high school is not talking to me anymore. She is just so involved with her boyfriend that she will not spend any time with anyone else.

We use to talk to each other alot, have classes with each other and now since we got out of school. I may have hung out with her like 4 times in the past 3 years.

I text and call her and get no call back. It's upsetting because she was my best friend. I don't know what to do about it. I tried to communicate with her but I don't get anything back.

Zeeboo Zebuloo

I think that friendship; TRUE FRIENDSHIP transcends time away from one another. The best way to cope is to just move apart and move on...they'll 'find' you if they miss you enough. If not? The little temporary break has turned into a permanent one and you'll have to mourn the loss of that friendship, try to learn from it, and let it go. Man, I've been there. It can be very hard but it's harder to ignore the problems & pain of an unsatisfying relationship with someone you (once) cared about.