feelings for a friend

ok so this is how it stands: i have been friends with this girl for a while now. our families used to be neighbors many years ago and our families are really good friends and still get togehter. our families live an hour apart so we dont get together as much as we all would like. when we do see each other though, we have a blast; her family is her mom, dad, brother, and her; my family is my mom, dad, sister, and me. all 4 of us kids are within 3 years age of each other, me being the oldest at 18 and her being the youngest, at 15. in February of 2006, i started talking to her alot on AIM because i asked her to go to my senior prom with me. prom was in May and it was the most fun night of my life. i also just saw her in early July because my family went to visit her family at the beach for a day.

ok so that is basically the history, now is my dilemma. first, you should know what this girl is like. she is fun, kind, beautiful, easygoing, and has a great talent; she is an astounding artist. before prom i was excited to go with her because i knew i would have a great time (going with a good friend is more fun than going with someone you dont know as well, at least in my opinion). anyway, since then i have been developing feelings for her and i dont know what to do. i want to tell her how i feel but i plan on telling her in a few years, not right now because she is 3 years younger than me. also, it would not work right now because she lives an hour away and she has a boyfriend but she told me that they are off and on. if i let her know how i feel in a few years, i am scared that she may be taken because she is such a great girl. however, in a few years the distance and age wont be as much of a problem.

i am really lost, should i wait a few years to tell her or tell her now?

It's my personal opinion that at the age she currently is, three years difference is a bit much. You said that she was off and on with her boyfriend, if you started something with her now she may not be mature enough to take the whole boyfriend/girlfriend thing as serious as you do. At the ages you are at, you may also want different things from your relationships. The best thing I can suggest is waiting a couple of years, so when you do make a move, you will be more in sink with one another and would have a much better chance of a serious relationship working out.

whichwayisup

3 years difference is alot, 18 and a 15 year old. 3 years when she's 17 or 18 and you're in your early 20's is alot different.

All I can suggest is, let her know that you care for her, and in action, show her how important the friendship is. Just be a good friend for now.

MsArtful's advice is really good, so just wait it out.

• Author

thanks for responding, it helped a lot. i am glad that you guys say i should wait a few years because that is what i thought was best also. thanks again!!