Im in love with my childhood friend, but I don't know if she feels the same way

Hi, My name is JM and I'm 17 years old. It all started back we both started going to high school. I've known her since kindergarden and she's my childhood friend. Unfortunantly she went to a different school from me. but that didn't really matter because I'd see her during the weekends and visit her at school and things like that. A year later (grade 10), I was able to get very very close to her. We called each other everyday, we went out on dates, went to school dances, we went out for dinner a couple of times and had slept together once. I soon grew to loving her and I wanted to know for sure that she felt the same way. Then one day she called me up and she told me that she found out that this guy that she liked from school, liked her back. She states that they do almost everything together and that we never do things anymore. Soon after, we started arguing about the smallest things that I do wrong and how that other guy can do it without any problems. A few days later I apologized and I confessed to her that I loved her so much and that I wanted to us to be more than just friends. She told me "I love you too JM, with all my heart... but I don't want to be more than just friends, it would ruin our relationship."

I was confused by the response she had given me, so I turned to her closest friend. I asked him to find out why she didn't want to be more than just friends. A few days later he found out that she was in love with the other guy, but she doesn't want to go out with him just yet because it would hurt my feelings.

I don't really know what to do in a situation like this. And its hard to give up a person who you knew all your life. What should I do? Does she really love me the way she said she did?

I apologize if my story seems a little kiddish but I really need your help.

I'm sure she does love you. But love and in-love aren't the same thing. She's attracted to someone else, not you.

You don't have to stop being friends with her, but you do have to stop thinking of her as a love interest or someone who's going to fall in love with you.

Let it go, and get on with your life. There are plenty of wonderful girls out there - one of them might fall in love with you, but you have to give her a chance to meet you.

sazzya1987
Hi, My name is JM and I'm 17 years old. It all started back we both started going to high school. I've known her since kindergarden and she's my childhood friend. Unfortunantly she went to a different school from me. but that didn't really matter because I'd see her during the weekends and visit her at school and things like that. A year later (grade 10), I was able to get very very close to her. We called each other everyday, we went out on dates, went to school dances, we went out for dinner a couple of times and had slept together once. I soon grew to loving her and I wanted to know for sure that she felt the same way. Then one day she called me up and she told me that she found out that this guy that she liked from school, liked her back. She states that they do almost everything together and that we never do things anymore. Soon after, we started arguing about the smallest things that I do wrong and how that other guy can do it without any problems. A few days later I apologized and I confessed to her that I loved her so much and that I wanted to us to be more than just friends. She told me "I love you too JM, with all my heart... but I don't want to be more than just friends, it would ruin our relationship."

I was confused by the response she had given me, so I turned to her closest friend. I asked him to find out why she didn't want to be more than just friends. A few days later he found out that she was in love with the other guy, but she doesn't want to go out with him just yet because it would hurt my feelings.

I don't really know what to do in a situation like this. And its hard to give up a person who you knew all your life. What should I do? Does she really love me the way she said she did?

I apologize if my story seems a little kiddish but I really need your help.

She only wants to be friends with you so I think the best thing you can do is accept that and be happy for her wanting to go for this other guy. Maybe down the line in the future she will give you a chance, you are both still young after all but don't wait around for a chance, go out with other friends and meet other girls to move on from how you feel for this other girl.

• Author

wow, I didn't expect this kind of advice from a forum like this. I appreciate the advise you have given me. :laugh:

many thanks,

JM

• Author

sorry for the double post but when I started dating a different girl, my childhood friend was very VERY angry at me, she was complaining that I didn't care about her feelings towards me. And that I used her for sex, when it was that one time. I don't understand, first she's after the guy and when I find someone else she's after me. what do I do now?

it doesn't make any sense. please help.

btw, can someone tell me how to edit posts?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I am a 15 year old kid in a very confused sitaution. I have known this girl for 5 years, and we have developed an amazing friendship. We basicly share a brain, She likes what i like, i like what she does. But this has landed me in a pickle because i honestly think i love her. She is smart, nice, and drop dead gorgous. I think she may have a little bit of the same feelings, but i dont know. And ever since kissing her in a spin the bottle game, i am ready to explode. I am dieing holding it in, but i dont know if it is worth risking a really good friendship.

Please help, a confused kid