how do i "break up" with a crazy, posessive friend?

Hi! I'm in college and unfortunately end up being friends with really crappy people. Bad luck, I guess. I had to "break up" with a friend fall semester. Our school is really small, though, and everybody knew about it and it became a huge deal. Eventually, I made some new friends. But it turned out that they are just as crazy and mean as the last ones. Unfortunately, though, my current friend is extremely possessive of me. It's summer now so I kind of get a break, but she lives near me and wants to see me all the time.

I am worried about fall semester. She makes terrible choices, is possessive, relatively annoying, extremely moody, etc. It's really not in my best interest to be friends with her. What is the best way to stop being friends with her without causing a huge scene? Our school is very small, I see her frequently, and everyone knows everyone. Also, how do I make better choices in not choosing crazy or mean friends? It sounds easy, but everyone I'm friends with always SEEMS nice at the time.

Hi! I'm in college and unfortunately end up being friends with really crappy people. Bad luck, I guess. I had to "break up" with a friend fall semester. Our school is really small, though, and everybody knew about it and it became a huge deal. Eventually, I made some new friends. But it turned out that they are just as crazy and mean as the last ones. Unfortunately, though, my current friend is extremely possessive of me. It's summer now so I kind of get a break, but she lives near me and wants to see me all the time.

I am worried about fall semester. She makes terrible choices, is possessive, relatively annoying, extremely moody, etc. It's really not in my best interest to be friends with her. What is the best way to stop being friends with her without causing a huge scene? Our school is very small, I see her frequently, and everyone knows everyone. Also, how do I make better choices in not choosing crazy or mean friends? It sounds easy, but everyone I'm friends with always SEEMS nice at the time.

Not trying to be rude here but your selection of friends is a reflection of yourself. You choose these rude annoying people because they are an extension of yourself.

Have you ever thought to consider if you are rude and petty and need to break up friendships and why you pick clingy possessive people.? Is it because you can't get *normal* friends ? Thats sounds mean but you sound pretty shallow.

Why not base friendships on people and how they merit individually ?

Not trying to be rude here but your selection of friends is a reflection of yourself. You choose these rude annoying people because they are an extension of yourself.

Have you ever thought to consider if you are rude and petty and need to break up friendships and why you pick clingy possessive people.? Is it because you can't get *normal* friends ? Thats sounds mean but you sound pretty shallow.

Why not base friendships on people and how they merit individually ?

That's pretty mean, poster.

When you're young, sometimes your judgement is not the best. She is learning about who she is at this point

OP, if you don't like the people you've chosen as friends, it is time to branch out. Try talking to people you normally don't talk to. Try joining clubs that seem interesting

It's never easy 'breaking up' with friends. All I can suggest is gradually distance yourself. If you become interested in things they are definitely NOT interested in, perhaps they will break up with YOU. Sometimes that's the easiest way to approach it.

ronnieromance

I'm just wondering if you broke up with a "friend", or if you "broke up" with a friend. Sematics is all. Either way, the best way to get her off your back is to get her on someone elses. Fix her up with some one or try to get her to spend time on a dating site like webdate. If she's there, or on a date with someone she met from there, than she can't be around you.;)

-R-