Does my friend need rescuing?

It might seem a simple question but it's not quite so easy. This friend is a girl I once dated and, I should mention, I still have some feelings for her. She started dating some other guy and then she stopped answering my calls/emails. She mailed me just after New Year to say that this new boyfriend is the jealous/possessive type and doesn't like her talking to other men - especially ones she used to date. She said that, when he learns to trust her (and I have no idea why he shouldn't) then everything will be okay and we can resume our friendship but in the meantime I shouldn't contact her - she will contact me when things are sorted.

So, should I trust her to work it out on her own or should I go against her request and try to help her anyway? What would be the worst that could happen if I do contact her? What could he do about it? I dread to think. I don't know for sure that she's in any actual danger - it's just my suspicions - but if she needs help and is unable to ask for it should I act regardless and risk her wrath if I'm wrong?

This is my first post. Looks like I'll be around more in future.

Cheers x