Finding a friends upgrade.

Lights

About a month ago, I found myself watching in surprise and revulsion as a friend of mine got figuratively stabbed in the back by his comrades.

Upon seeing that, I realized that I needed to find a new set of friends, since I saw no reason why they wouldn't do the same to me had I been in his place. Another thing, possibly more important, that I noticed was that I needed to learn where the kinds of people who I would be more interested in would be found--continuing to spend my time in the places I currently spend my time will only keep me alone or around more and more of the same kinds of people.

The problem is that even if I knew where worthier people were when they were amenable to socializing, there still would be the matter of finding them without burning up my time doing things I'm not interested in and throwing away things that I am interested in (it seems like everything from work to keeping fit to damn near anything requires ever more and more time in order to have any hope of advancing.).

What does one do to find more and more desirable friends and associates when one's normal environments don't provide one with opportunities to find them, but changing one's environments isn't very practicable?

Thanks for any help.