I Got upseet...but should I have?

Nubemeister

Nubemeister

Today my friend and I were talking and she asked me about my day and what I did on Tuesday.

I told her that I was talking with someone about my ex. I recently had known something I didn't want to know and it upset me.

She said dude get over it, stop talking to him and reading his stuff. Its over, just get over it.

Now I know this, because people have told me time and time again and I am trying, I guess it's just hard because I truly loved him, and before anything else he was my friend.

And it hurt me that she said that because I just wanted to talk about that...

I guess she is annoyed that I brought it up?

She said that because I got upset when I found out what he thought about me. Well what I think he thinks about me...

I just wanted someone to listen..and I know Im trying to get over it...but whenever I mention something about him it's the same line..

And sometimes that makes me think I should just keep things to myself...

Did I have a right too get upset or understood and not let her comment bother me?

Thanks!

No, I would have been upset if my "friend" had said that to me, going through your situation. A true friend is there to listen, regardless.

She may be trying to help you get over him, but she didn't need to say it so harshly :(

FolderWife

Some 'friends' are too selfish to listen. She's probably sick of hearing about it. Some friends can be patient enough to listen to someone go on and on and on, but eventually, it does get annoying, and they just want to slap you and say, "GOOD GRIEF! HE DOESN'T WANT YOU! MOVE ON!!!!!!!"

I have a friend who's been putting up with the same crap from his girlfriend since September of last year. I try to help him, but he keeps ignoring me, and doing the wrong thing, and then he comes whining to me for help again. I'm like, 'If you'd listened to me the FIRST time, you wouldn't be dealing with the same stuff now, a YEAR LATER!"

So how long have you been going on about this ex? If it's been more than a month, then it's probably getting on her last nerve. If it's a recent hurt, then she's being selfish. But, there's no need to be angry at her...just write her off as an intimate friend, and make her a more casual friend. She might not be the type that you can talk to, but she may be great for hanging out with for fun.

Hi nubemeister,

You had the right to be upset. You wanted to talk about something that had upset you, yet your friend didn't seem to want to hear you out on a matter important to you. Your friend could have been much more empathetic to you at that time.

Some people just like to offer quick-fix problems, yours or others. :o Some other people will always be there to hear you out on anything that's on your mind. In any case, we accept them all.

• Author
Nubemeister

Thanks all of you!

I have been talking about him not constatnly but he comes up once in awhile and I know it gets annoying..

And I am trying to get over it..I understand it's not something you want to hear about when it does come up.

I have no idea why it has affected me this way..we dated two or three years ago and we got ahold of each other again and we just fell back into it. I do believe I loved him and I guess that's why it's just bad on my thinking...

Thank you all!:)