Breaking Up With Friends

I had to "break up" with three of my friends yesterday. When I say break up I mean just like a break up. I had to stop complete contact with them. I blocked them from calling me and blocked me from calling them. I came to the realization that the group I was hanging with (mostly males) just wasn't healty for me anymore. They were getting in to drugs and all they do is drink and I'm getting to the point in my life where I don't want to be as wild as I once was.

I always felt like I was being taken advantage of and just like a bad relationship with a SO I had to do what's best for me.

So, my point of this thread is just to get it out there because even though it's best for me, I'm still grieving. Anyone else been in a similar situation?

Well my story isn't quite like your's but we had a "break"...Not a "break-up", though it does feel like one!! :o

It's hard to maintain a foundation of friendship with someone, me I have a hard time trusting people and from this whole "break" I'm going through I gotta say I miss my friend. :(

Whether this was suppose to happen and this is what God wanted for the both of us, it's something that had to be done. We grow from these experiences in life and we learn how to be a better person and realize nothings more important than to be happy and not to forget where you came from.

It's funny with all the things that happened you tend to forget the good times and only remember the hard ones...I think this is healthy for you and me...I'm remembering the good times and boy were they fun...Who knows?? One day we might have more of those good times... :confused:

If you're decision was to make yourself a better person and these friends weren't helping...You did the right thing...You're going to grieve, a lot...but it will get better...You can now concentrate on you and not on what drug or alcochol you're going to do today. It all comes down to what you want...You can find other friends that compliment you more in your life style

Originally posted by gwennebe

Anyone else been in a similar situation?

this happens to almost everyone GWENNEBE....as we get older our priorities change and our lifestyle may no longer include old "friends"....

about 3 yrs ago I stopped talking with my best friend of 25 years. knew him since 5th grade. nice guy but very high maintenance and i was not willing to do the work anymore. not worth it.

It happened to me as well, last december I adopted a "clean slate approach" and broke up with all my friends that I had in past. None of them now know where I am or my mail id or my phone # and neither do I have any information about them.

Sometimes life does put us in such condition, but what to do ?

• Author

Thanks for the responses!!

I wish I could find some females my age to hang out with from time to time. The town I'm in, I didn't grow up in so I had to start over fresh and didn't know anyone at first.

What do you do if your a girl looking to meet other girls just for friendship? It's hard to just go up to them in the bar and talk to them (half the time they thing your hitting on them or crazy) lol.

You can find them from your work place or your study place. Make friendship with one of them , then get introduced to her group and so forth.

You can go to city library meet them there, or some local clubs etc..