Would an acquaintance come to a birthday party?

newlywedder

I don't have many close friends but want to have a birthday party at Dave and Busters, a place for adults to play games that opened near me. I haven't had a party since I was 25 and am now going to be 36.

I invited some acquaintances to my party but none have responded yet on Facebook. Was it improper to invite them? I just wanted to get to know them better so thought they might come to my party.

Mostly people from work are coming and my family.

CautiouslyOptimistic

I can't speak for all, but I probably would not go to Dave & Busters for a birthday party for an acquaintance. How do you know these people?

Some acquaintances will come some won't. Some people also don't think a FB invite requires an RSVP.

Do any of these acquaintances know each other or anyone else that will be attending?

I am an outgoing person, but probably wouldn't go to a party an aquaintance was throwing if I didn't know anyone else that was attending.

• Like 1
  • Author
I can't speak for all, but I probably would not go to Dave & Busters for a birthday party for an acquaintance. How do you know these people?

They are from church and a board gaming group that I go to.

• Author
Do any of these acquaintances know each other or anyone else that will be attending?

I am an outgoing person, but probably wouldn't go to a party an aquaintance was throwing if I didn't know anyone else that was attending.

One board game acquaintance is coming from what I see on there. I should have known people at church aren't wanting to be my friends. I don't have anything in common with anyone in my church group. Most are stay at home moms who send their kids to a private day school a couple times a week. They have get togethers among themselves and go on trips.

CautiouslyOptimistic
One board game acquaintance is coming from what I see on there. I should have known people at church aren't wanting to be my friends. I don't have anything in common with anyone in my church group. Most are stay at home moms who send their kids to a private day school a couple times a week. They have get togethers among themselves and go on trips.

Are you married?

• Author
Are you married?

Hi! Yes I have been for 3 years now. I'm one of the few women in the church small group who works. The other two women who work are teachers and are very good friends themselves.

CautiouslyOptimistic
Hi! Yes I have been for 3 years now. I'm one of the few women in the church small group who works. The other two women who work are teachers and are very good friends themselves.

It can be difficult to connect with SAH moms or wives when you're working full time. And, sad to say, maybe some of them are waiting to see if the others are going before they RSVP. It's very nice of you to invite them to get try to get to know them better, though <3.

Edited by CautiouslyOptimistic
I invited some acquaintances to my party but none have responded yet on Facebook. Was it improper to invite them

It was proper that you invited them, sure. But some of them might not come. Don't get upset if they don't. You'll have your family and coworkers there, so just enjoy those guests and have fun.

I should have known people at church aren't wanting to be my friends.

Don't do this kind of thing to yourself - this "nobody likes me" thing. That doesn't help, and it's not true, and you know it.

I don't have anything in common with anyone in my church group. Most are stay at home moms who send their kids to a private day school a couple times a week.

I'm sure you can come up with plenty of things you have in common with this group. Who cares if they have kids and you don't. There are still other things that you may have in common as human beings. Maybe you both like the same TV shows or books or podcasts. Find out.

Probably not. Depends on how well you know him or her.

Rule of thumb is that about one third of the people who you invite will come--I heard that long ago.